What kind of valve will do this?

• Thread starter bdr16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Valve
In summary, a valve is a mechanical device used to control the flow of fluids or gases. There are various types of valves, such as ball, gate, globe, butterfly, and check valves, each with unique characteristics for specific applications. Choosing the right valve depends on factors like the type of fluid or gas, pressure and temperature, and flow rate, and it is best to consult with an expert for guidance. Manual valves are operated by hand, while automatic valves use control systems for precise control. Regular maintenance, including cleaning and replacing worn parts, is crucial for proper valve functioning, and troubleshooting involves identifying and fixing any issues like leaks or blockages.
bdr16
I need a valve that will pressurize a system, then leave the system pressurized for a time, then exhaust the pressure on command. I need it to be easily portable and quite small, and will run at pretty low pressures. What kind of valve would do this for me?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A regular gate valve will work just fine. depends how small your pipe/tubing is. maybe just an instrument valve

Related to What kind of valve will do this?

1. What is the purpose of a valve?

A valve is a mechanical device that controls the flow of fluids or gases by opening, closing, or partially obstructing passageways.

2. What are the different types of valves?

There are several types of valves, including ball valves, gate valves, globe valves, butterfly valves, and check valves. Each type has different characteristics and is suitable for specific applications.

3. How do I choose the right valve for my application?

Choosing the right valve depends on several factors, including the type of fluid or gas being controlled, the pressure and temperature of the system, and the flow rate. It is best to consult with a valve expert to determine the most suitable valve for your specific needs.

4. What is the difference between a manual and automatic valve?

A manual valve is operated by hand, while an automatic valve uses a control system, such as a solenoid or actuator, to open and close the valve. Automatic valves are often used in industrial settings where precise control is required.

5. How do I maintain and troubleshoot a valve?

Regular maintenance is important to ensure the proper functioning of a valve. This may include cleaning, lubricating, and replacing any worn parts. Troubleshooting a valve involves identifying any issues, such as leaks or blockages, and taking the necessary steps to fix them.