What materials are the most resistant to chemicals?

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on building a fume hood that is resistant to chemicals and cost-effective. They also inquire about the appropriate CFM fan for air extraction. However, given the lack of specific information about the chemicals and intended use of the fume hood, it is difficult to provide a definitive answer.
dcybroz
TL;DR Summary
Ok so im building a fume hood
(Asking for a comrade or friend)
Ok so I am building a fume hood
What materials are the most resistant to chemicals that are also cheap?
also what cfm fan can I use to suck out the air?
(asking for someone knowlageable)
cats

Chemistry news on Phys.org
So you are NOT asking what materials are the most resistant to chemicals, you are asking what materials are most resistant to chemicals that are likely to come up a fume hood, and you are not telling us what chemicals are likely to come up your particular fume hood. Do you see how those two questions are not at all the same?

My point is that you are on a science forum and in science, poorly worded and/or incomplete questions often do not get answers that are helpful. A fume hood for painting objects is not likely to be the same as a fume hood used in a chem lab.

For example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fume_hood#Specialty_designs

• Informative
Likes BillTre, berkeman and Vanadium 50
Closed pending moderation.

1. What are the most common types of chemical-resistant materials?

Some of the most common types of chemical-resistant materials include plastics such as polyethylene, polypropylene, and PVC, as well as metals like stainless steel, aluminum, and titanium.

2. How do I know if a material is resistant to a specific chemical?

The best way to determine if a material is resistant to a specific chemical is to consult a chemical compatibility chart. These charts list the compatibility of various materials with different chemicals, and can be found online or through chemical suppliers.

3. Are there any materials that are resistant to all chemicals?

No, there is no single material that is resistant to all chemicals. Each material has its own level of resistance to different chemicals, and it is important to choose the right material for the specific chemical being used.

4. How can I increase the chemical resistance of a material?

One way to increase the chemical resistance of a material is to use a coating or lining that is specifically designed to resist the chemical being used. Another option is to choose a material with a higher level of resistance, such as using a higher grade of stainless steel instead of a lower grade.

5. Are there any environmental factors that can affect the chemical resistance of a material?

Yes, environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, and exposure to sunlight can all affect the chemical resistance of a material. It is important to consider these factors when choosing a material for chemical resistance.