What Variables Must X̅ Have in Order to be Considered a Partial Molar Quantity?

In summary, the partial molar quantities are intensive variables that depend on the temperature, pressure, and mole fraction of the chemical constituents in the solution.
physicisttobe
Homework Statement
partial molar quantities
Relevant Equations
Hi everyone!

It's about the following task.

Partial molar quantities
a) How are partial molar quantities defined in general?
b) If X is an extensive state variable and X̅ is the associated partial variable, what types of variables must X̅ have?
c) Is the chemical potential of component i in a mixture a partial molar quantity? Why?
d) Is the chemical potential of component i in a mixture a partial molar quantity? Why? Justification?

I have some difficulties in answering some questions, especially the question b) If X is an extensive state variable and X̅ is the associated partial variable, what types of variables must X̅ have?
Unfortunately, I don't have a clue how to answer it. I only know that partial molar quantities are intensive variables like pressure, temperature and so on. But what types of variables must X̅ have? Can you explain me that please?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicisttobe said:
Homework Statement: partial molar quantities
Relevant Equations: ...

Hi everyone!

It's about the following task.

Partial molar quantities
Partial molar properties apply to solid, liquid, and gaseous solutions of chemical constituents.

physicisttobe said:
a) How are partial molar quantities defined in general?
A partial molar property for species "i" is defined as $$\bar{X}_i=\left(\frac{\partial X}{\partial n_i}\right)_{T,P,n_j,\ all\ j\neq i}$$where the n's are numbers of moles of the various species in the solution.

physicisttobe said:
b) If X is an extensive state variable and X̅ is the associated partial variable, what types of variables must X̅ have?
##\bar{X}_i## is an intensive property that depends on T, P, and the mole fractions of all chemical constituents
physicisttobe said:
c) Is the chemical potential of component i in a mixture a partial molar quantity? Why?
The partial molar Gibbs free energy of a chemical species is defined as its chemical potential.

@Chestermiller, thank you so much for your reply. So the answer to that question "If X is an extensive state variable and X̅ is the associated partial variable, what types of variables must X̅ have" is: the variables are T,p, and the mole fraction ni because they are all intensive?

And I noticed that I forgot to post all the relevant equations for that task.
The complete task looks like this (see below).
The question d) is false because V and S are not constant, they are not intensive, V and S are extensive properties. Therefore, they can not be considered as constant. Is my consideration correct?

Attachments

• 69A65A40-C4D2-43CD-8703-CA4F9741F777.jpeg
    69A65A40-C4D2-43CD-8703-CA4F9741F777.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 62
physicisttobe said:
@Chestermiller, thank you so much for your reply. So the answer to that question "If X is an extensive state variable and X̅ is the associated partial variable, what types of variables must X̅ have" is: the variables are T,p, and the mole fraction ni because they are all intensive?
I don't quite understand this question. Can you rephrase it? The phase rule tells us that for a single phase system containing N chemical components, the number of intensive variables required to specify the system at chemical equilibrium is N +1: T, P, and N-1 mole fractions.

The question is: If X is an extensive state quantity and X̅ is the associated partial quantity, what types of variables must X̅ have?
I think we should explain the properties of partial molar quantities. Which characteristics do they have? We shoul count the different variables of these partial quantities.

physicisttobe said:
And I noticed that I forgot to post all the relevant equations for that task.
The complete task looks like this (see below).
The question d) is false because V and S are not constant, they are not intensive, V and S are extensive properties. Therefore, they can not be considered as constant. Is my consideration correct?
Consider this. The definition of G is $$G=U+PV-TS$$So we have $$dG=dU+PdV+VdP-TdS-SdT$$In addition, we have: $$dG=-SdT+VdP+\sum{\mu_i dn_i}$$What do you get if you eliminate dG from these equations and solve for dU?

Likes Lord Jestocost
I think dU= TdS - PdV + sum of ... dni ?
But what does that equation have to do with the question above? Should we not explain what types of variables X̅ must have? Please apologize, I'm a lil bit confused.

physicisttobe said:
I think dU= TdS - PdV + sum of ... dni ?
But what does that equation have to do with the question above? Should we not explain what types of variables X̅ must have? Please apologize, I'm a lil bit confused.
Sorry. I have no idea what "what types of variables X̅ must have" means. Can you provide an example of what you mean.

1. What is a partial molar quantity?

A partial molar quantity is a measure of the change in a specific component of a mixture when the total amount of the mixture is increased by one unit. It is commonly used in thermodynamics to describe the behavior of mixtures, and is denoted by the symbol X̅.

2. What variables are necessary for X̅ to be considered a partial molar quantity?

In order for X̅ to be considered a partial molar quantity, it must have at least two variables: the total amount of the mixture and the amount of the specific component being measured. Other variables, such as temperature and pressure, may also be necessary depending on the specific system being studied.

3. How is X̅ calculated?

X̅ is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the total amount of the mixture with respect to the amount of the specific component being measured. In other words, it is the change in the total amount of the mixture divided by the change in the amount of the specific component.

4. Why is X̅ important in thermodynamics?

X̅ is important in thermodynamics because it allows us to understand how the properties of a mixture change as the amount of a specific component is varied. This is useful in many applications, such as in chemical reactions and phase transitions.

5. How is X̅ used in practical applications?

X̅ is used in practical applications to calculate various thermodynamic properties, such as Gibbs free energy and activity coefficients. It is also used in the design and optimization of chemical processes, as well as in the analysis of experimental data in chemical engineering and other fields.