Where does Hamilton's Principle come from?

In summary, Hamilton's Principle and the physical entity action are key concepts in modern physics. The Lagrangian is used to find a system's Hamiltonian, which is then used in Hamilton's Principle to determine the stationary action. This idea is rooted in the principle of relativity and the Poincare group, leading to the Hamiltonian dynamics of Wigner and Dirac.
PhilipsPhysics
TL;DR Summary
Hamiltons Principle
Hamiltons Principle and the physcial entity action are the terms in which modern physics is formulated. How do you know that you can always find a Lagrangian for a System which is then used for Hamitlons Principle and the formulation of Action? Why is the action stationary?

Physics news on Phys.org
:welcome:

What have you found so far on this question?

Thanks! Pretty much nothing, I know classical mechanics, quantum field theory, electromagnetism can formulated this way by I don't see why (I understand the math, I don't see where it comes from).

In my opinion, the deepest origin of the Hamiltonian formalism is the symmetry associated with the principle of relativity.

As all inertial observers are equivalent, there has to be a Lie group of transformations connecting different observers. In relativistic physics this is the Poincare group. According to Wigner, transformations from this group are represented by unitary operators in the Hilbert space of any isolated physical system. Generators of this representation form a 10-dimensional Lie algebra of Hermitian operators. The generator of time translations is the Hamiltonian.

This path will lead you to the relativistic Hamiltonian dynamics of Wigner and Dirac.

Eugene.

1. What is Hamilton's Principle?

Hamilton's Principle is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics that states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action, which is the integral over time of the difference between the kinetic and potential energy of the system.

2. Who discovered Hamilton's Principle?

Hamilton's Principle was first proposed by Irish mathematician and physicist William Rowan Hamilton in the 19th century. However, it was later refined and popularized by French mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

3. What is the significance of Hamilton's Principle?

Hamilton's Principle is significant because it provides a powerful and elegant framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of physical systems. It is also the basis for the powerful mathematical formalism of Lagrangian mechanics, which is widely used in modern physics.

4. Where did Hamilton's Principle come from?

Hamilton's Principle was derived from the principle of least action, which was first proposed by French mathematician Pierre-Louis Maupertuis in the 18th century. Hamilton built upon this principle and developed his own version, which is now known as Hamilton's Principle.

5. How is Hamilton's Principle applied in science?

Hamilton's Principle is applied in various fields of science, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is used to derive the equations of motion for physical systems and to study the dynamics of complex systems. It is also used in the development of new theories and models in physics.