Why are MathJax images not displaying on my webpage?

In summary: Images are more bandwidth intensive.In summary, the MathJax environment changed and there are no Latex images being displayed. Please post any problems. I'll leave it enabled for the next hour or so and switch back to images until we are 100% ready.
Greg Bernhardt said:
I recently forced FF to use HTML instead of MathML. It looks much better to me in FF now. Maybe try clearing your cache.
Many things have improved. Things don't get messed up when I put my mouse over math expressions. The extra space that was displayed next to the phi in [itex]\|\phi\|=\|x_0\|[/itex] is gone. Etc. Math looks OK in Firefox, so I'm not saying that it absolutely must be fixed, but it still doesn't look as good as it does in IE. (I tried clearing the cache. No difference. But perhaps the change you're talking about explains the other improvements that I had already observed).

Borek said:
As far as I can tell this is vBulletin problem (feature). It splits long text inserting spaces after every 50 characters:
Ah, this make sense. Maybe I should be asking why we didn't have this problem before. I see that code tags override this behavior. I hope it's possible to get tex and itex tags to do the same.

Code:
01234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789

Physics news on Phys.org
For me, the rendering of math is really slow now. I am using IE 8.

This is just to inform that opera mini doesn't render math, all I see is the tex code.

However opera mobile does display the pages correctly although it takes a lot of time (took me almost a minute to load page with some 10 equations).

mishrashubham said:
This is just to inform that opera mini doesn't render math, all I see is the tex code.

However opera mobile does display the pages correctly although it takes a lot of time (took me almost a minute to load page with some 10 equations).

the mobile skin is not hooked in yet

DaleSpam said:
For me, the rendering of math is really slow now. I am using IE8.

It is very very slow. I would choose to read garbage threads about UFO than those with ten or so equations!

samalkhaiat said:
DaleSpam said:
It is very very slow. I would choose to read garbage threads about UFO than those with ten or so equations!

Honestly I think speed is most likely affected by the age of the browser. Recent browser versions of Chrome (11,12), FF (4) and even IE (9) have made great advances in the Javascript engine. If you find the math is loading slowly I would urge you to update to a recent version.

I've used firefox and IE, and for some reason latex isn't converting for me. I only see the tags and what you type.

gb7nash said:
I've used firefox and IE, and for some reason latex isn't converting for me. I only see the tags and what you type.

do you have JS security settings that are maybe affecting it? any errors reported?

Greg Bernhardt said:
do you have JS security settings that are maybe affecting it? any errors reported?

Not that I know of. Latex was working for me prior to this week and I didn't change any security settings. No errors either, I just literally see what the user is typing.

gb7nash said:
Not that I know of. Latex was working for me prior to this week and I didn't change any security settings. No errors either, I just literally see what the user is typing.
This site has switched to different LaTeX software (that's what this thread is about), so what was working a week ago may not be relevant. Check if Javascript is enabled (in your browser settings). Are you using a proxy? (If you're accessing this site from home, the answer is almost always no). Have you tried to just refresh the page?

By the way, I also see exactly what I typed (including the tex tags) when I save a change to a post I made earlier. But it only happens in that particular situation, and a refresh always solves the problem.

I noticed the latex images changed since a few days. I don't know if it's because I'm using linux (latex looks different in windows with my computer) but I really like the new look.

Greg Bernhardt said:
the mobile skin is not hooked in yet

I am happy that PF even has a mobile version.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Honestly I think speed is most likely affected by the age of the browser. Recent browser versions of Chrome (11,12), FF (4) and even IE (9) have made great advances in the Javascript engine. If you find the math is loading slowly I would urge you to update to a recent version.
I can't update. IE 8 is what is mandated by our IT department. They get mad if you install unapproved browsers.

Why did we need to change? I liked the speed and quality of the previous LaTeX engine.

Looking at it, I have javascript enabled, but when it tries to render it gives a little message "Loading Web-Fonts Tex/Main/Regular" and then "Web-Fonts not available -- using image fonts instead". The attempt to load the webfonts takes a long time and then the image fonts also takes a long time. Any tips on enabling Web-Fonts?

EDIT: I found it, under security settings. It is still slow, but only annoyingly slow instead of painfully slow.

EDIT2: Actually, it can still be painfully slow. This page took 2 minutes 16 seconds to load: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=337236&page=23

Last edited:
DaleSpam said:
Why did we need to change? I liked the speed and quality of the previous LaTeX engine.

1. PF hosts nearly 1.3 million latex images
2. Several thousand and counting are hotlinked across the web
3. The old image processor is hard on the server
4. The old image processor is unsupported (chroot is busy)
5. Broken in preview
6. Not available in PMs
7. Limited in blogs and is actually a spin off program

I have just made a tweak to help speed up IE8 viewing. Please update here again on your experience. Thanks!

Now I don't get any math at all in IE9. (Not really a problem for me, since I use Firefox). It worked yesterday.

Fredrik said:
Now I don't get any math at all in IE9. (Not really a problem for me, since I use Firefox). It worked yesterday.

Confirmed.

I added this to help IE8, but it seems to break IE9
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7">

I love firefox but this makes me think we should have a PFfox browser. :biggrin:

You need a new project don't you Greg? :devil:

I have serious problem with the Latex only starting in the last two days. What do I have to do? Get the Exporor 8 or what?

yungman said:
I have serious problem with the Latex only starting in the last two days. What do I have to do? Get the Exporor 8 or what?
Internet Explorer 8 appears to be the version that has the biggest problems. LaTeX is working very well in Firefox 4 and Internet Explorer 9. (It looks a bit prettier in IE9, but FF4 is faster, so I still prefer FF4). What browser and what version are you using? If you're using an older version of IE, you should upgrade anyway, not just to get this forum to work better. Most people who have tried Firefox never go back to IE, so you might want to try that.

By the way (this comment is just a contribution to the general discussion in this thread), Internet Explorer 9 automatically scales all math to 120% by default. I think this makes the math too big, expecially when there's normal text on the same line (i.e. when we use itex tags). I think 100% looks better.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
Internet Explorer 8 appears to be the version that has the biggest problems. LaTeX is working very well in Firefox 4 and Internet Explorer 9. (It looks a bit prettier in IE9, but FF4 is faster, so I still prefer FF4). What browser and what version are you using? If you're using an older version of IE, you should upgrade anyway, not just to get this forum to work better. Most people who have tried Firefox never go back to IE, so you might want to try that.

By the way (this comment is just a contribution to the general discussion in this thread), Internet Explorer 9 automatically scales all math to 120% by default. I think this makes the math too big, expecially when there's normal text on the same line (i.e. when we use itex tags). I think 100% looks better.

Thanks for the reply. I have XP and I cannot get Exporer 9.

Where to get Firefox? What website is the real one. I don't want to blindly go on the web and get the first one calling themselves Firefox.

I found this one:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/fx/

Is this the one?

Thanks

Alan

Yes, that's the one.

height

if i opened a thread with a lot of latex, i used to be able to read the latest post even though the latex in previous posts was still loading

but now the latex takes up so much extra height that if i do this, the latest post gets continually pushed off the screen so fast that i can't concentrate on reading it

there was no problem previously because the full latex used roughly the same height as the "pre-latex", but now it's much taller

also the server now insists on starting a new line even for one letter

is it possible to reduce the height (i think it's too large anyway), or to stop a new line starting each time?​

(i'm using safari 4.1.3)​

tiny-tim said:
also the server now insists on starting a new line even for one letter

is it possible to reduce the height (i think it's too large anyway), or to stop a new line starting each time?​

(i'm using safari 4.1.3)​

I think the thing about starting a new line for every tex equation might have been covered in posts 84 through 90 of this thread.

I think you can change the size of the equations by right clicking to get a menu with MathJax options.

height

cepheid said:
I think you can change the size of the equations by right clicking to get a menu with MathJax options.

oooh, i didn't notice that! :biggrin:

if i right-click, i can choose "Settings" and then "Scale all Math …",

which gives me a box headed "Scale all mathematics (compared to surrounding text) by" which was originally set to 125%

i've re-set it to 100%, which i hope will solve the problem o:)

thanks cepheid! :smile:

Well I paid good money for Mathtype to be able to post equations in LaTex, since I do not speak LaTex.

It does not offer MathJax (whatever that is - I can't find any useful information just lots of journalistic hype)

These new changes mean I can neither view nor post maths now.

I don't view this as a step forward, just another fashion.

Those of us who have seen computers programmed with cogs, switches, punched holes, mag tape, logic chips etc all the way up to modern processors

and languages that come and go

Cobol, Fortran, ADA, PL1, Basic, Pascal, DOS, Unix, C , Perl, Python...

And applications that come and go

Dbase, Wordperfect, Wordstar, ...

are bound to get a bit punch drunk and glassy eyed after a while.

Studiot said:
Well I paid good money for Mathtype to be able to post equations in LaTex, since I do not speak LaTex.

It does not offer MathJax (whatever that is - I can't find any useful information just lots of journalistic hype)
What are you talking about? MathJax is just the software that translates the LaTeX to an image. You don't have to do anything different from before, except that you no longer have to refresh after each preview.

Studiot said:
You can definitely post math now, if you could before. What do you mean you're not able to view it?

Studiot said:
This has solved real problems. They're listed in one of Greg's posts above.

Studiot said:
and languages that come and go

Cobol, Fortran, ADA, PL1, Basic, Pascal, DOS, Unix, C , Perl, Python...

And applications that come and go

Dbase, Wordperfect, Wordstar, ...
If you've done all that, you shouldn't find LaTeX very challenging. It's extremely easy to get started, and you can improve your knowledge just by, once in a while, when you see a post that makes you think "I wonder how he did that", click the quote button and read the code.

Studiot said:

Nothing have changed when posting, only displaying is different. MathJax is just a technology to display LaTeX math on the screen. As explained earlier if it doesn't display, that most likely means browser problems.

Even if you can't see the math, if you post it the way you did before, it should be displayed correctly for others. You can't check it though.

Idea behind the change was not to become more fashionable, but to reduce server load.

Edit: Fredrik was faster. Don't chat while posting.

Wow, that Firefox 4 do magic, I am back to business!

yungman said:
Wow, that Firefox 4 do magic, I am back to business!

It is very friendly. I just love it. I've had zero problems with it and the latex looks great.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Shouldn't have to do this, they are loaded from the mathjax server.
http://www.mathjax.org/help/fonts/" even though you don't have to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hm, the fonts that you can download are version 1.0, and the STIX Fonts website says that version 1.2 will have LaTeX support.

I have no idea if this is relevant to the IE8 problems, but I opened the release notes and found this under "known issues":

STIX Fonts release 1.0 should work correctly with Internet Explorer 8 in standards mode. Web site developers who wish to support IE8 should set the document mode by specifying the mode meta tag; see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288472(VS.85).aspx#tools for more information. There are known problems with using these fonts not in IE8 standards mode or with earlier versions of IE.​

Edit: I installed them, and I don't see a difference. The math still looks slightly smaller and slightly uglier in FF4 than in IE9 (not so much that it's a problem), and I don't know if it's any faster. It was already pretty fast, so I think this is only worth doing if you're having some sort of problem that you think this might solve.

Last edited:
Here's how the same equation renders on Windows XP for various browser and font combinations:

[PLAIN]http://hirano.fastmail.fm/PC.png

And on a Mac running 10.6:

[PLAIN]http://hirano.fastmail.fm/Mac.png

I used Firefox 4.0.1 on both systems, and Safari was version 5.0.5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to get it so I can view the actual latex using IE7?

I'm seeing nothing but the tex code similar to others who've posted in this thread.