Why are MathJax images not displaying on my webpage?

In summary: Images are more bandwidth intensive.In summary, the MathJax environment changed and there are no Latex images being displayed. Please post any problems. I'll leave it enabled for the next hour or so and switch back to images until we are 100% ready.
Borek said:
LOL, that would mean old problems with preview are still here :wink:

hmmm I can't reproduce this problem on FF 4.0.1

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
hmmm I can't reproduce this problem on FF 4.0.1

If you want, I can make a video about what I do exactly. But I don't know the software for filming the desktop though...

Do you have an add-on installed that might be causing the problem?

vela said:
Do you have an add-on installed that might be causing the problem?

The weird thing is that the same problem also occurs on IE. So I don't think add-ons will be the problem.
Also, if I edit the post, then only the LaTeX of the edited post doesn't work. All other LaTeX formulas work fine...

micromass said:
The weird thing is that the same problem also occurs on IE. So I don't think add-ons will be the problem.
Also, if I edit the post, then only the LaTeX of the edited post doesn't work. All other LaTeX formulas work fine...
I see the same behavior with Safari. MathJax runs when the browser says it's done processing the page. Apparently, saving the edited post doesn't cause the browser to send this signal, which makes sense since if you have a script that runs when the page finishes loading, you probably don't want it to run again if you modify just a small piece of the page. So the text of the edited post doesn't get processed.

EDIT: Firefox on the Mac acts the same way as well.

vela said:
I see the same behavior with Safari. MathJax runs when the browser says it's done processing the page. Apparently, saving the edited post doesn't cause the browser to send this signal, which makes sense since if you have a script that runs when the page finishes loading, you probably don't want it to run again if you modify just a small piece of the page. So the text of the edited post doesn't get processed.

EDIT: Firefox on the Mac acts the same way as well.

Are we talking about quick editing?

Just testing...

[tex]ax^2 + bx + c = 0[/tex]

Strange - quick edit under Opera, once worked, thrice didn't (OK, I am not going to edit it once again, when it worked it must have been some other problem, as teh page reloaded, which usually doesn't happen).

I guess when the page code is changed after quick edit MathJax script is not called.

Yes, that's the thing - refreshing works, quick edit doesn't.

So when it comes to preview we are back at square one.

Borek said:
Yes, that's the thing - refreshing works, quick edit doesn't.

So when it comes to preview we are back at square one.

There has never been preview for quick edit. Quick edit save would require a refresh because quick edit is an AJAX function that does not call MathJax.

Borek said:
LOL, that would mean old problems with preview are still here :wink:
I don't follow your logic. In fact, testing preview directly contradicts your conclusion.

Greg Bernhardt said:
There has never been preview for quick edit.

Yep, obvious, I got things mixed up :grumpy:

I've had the same problem as Micromass since we made the move to MathJax. Every time I save an edit, I only see the source code. (Previews work fine. The problem is that when I view the post after saving the changes, I only see source code). A refresh solves the problem.

This isn't nearly as annoying or confusing as the old preview problem, which required a refresh after each preview. It also required me to explain it to someone else once a week.

Fredrik said:
I've had the same problem as Micromass since we made the move to MathJax. Every time I save an edit, I only see the source code. (Previews work fine. The problem is that when I view the post after saving the changes, I only see source code). A refresh solves the problem.

This isn't nearly as annoying or confusing as the old preview problem, which required a refresh after each preview. It also required me to explain it to someone else once a week.

I've been having this problem too, in Safari.

Unrelated note: excited to see LaTeX working on mobile site!

It's possible to manually invoke MathJax on a section of the page whose content has been changed - at least, I've seen it done on other sites. So that might be a feature to consider for the future.

Fredrik said:
Every time I save an edit, I only see the source code. (Previews work fine. The problem is that when I view the post after saving the changes, I only see source code). A refresh solves the problem.
OK, I just did some testing, and I don't have this problem at all. I guess I just remembered it wrong when I wrote the above. There is no problem if I preview before I save the changes. The only time I see the source code instead of an image is when I just click edit, change something, and then click save. Both FF4 and IE9 behave the same way.

Last edited:
There is a bug. Whatever is in noparse tags should be not parsed. That allows things like showing people how to embed youtube video: enter [noparse][/noparse] to get

But it is not working for tex nor itex tags, as - even if they are between noparse tags - they are parsed by MathJax. So

[nοparse][tеx]a=x^2[/tеx][/nοparse]

should yield

[tеx]a=x^2[/tеx]

but yields

[noparse][tex]a=x^2[/tex][/noparse]

(and yes, I do tricks to display it properly :biggrin:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I have seen the same problem about 10 hours ago, but to be honest I don't remember. You can be sure I will complain if it will repeat often enough :devil:

Any thoughts on adding new delimiters for TeX code? MathJax supports multiple delimiters, so it won't break existing posts. Plus, it's faster typing something like $$ than the current tex and itex tags.

vela said:
Any thoughts on adding new delimiters for TeX code? MathJax supports multiple delimiters, so it won't break existing posts. Plus, it's faster typing something like $$ than the current tex and itex tags.
I think it would be awesome if something like that could be implemented.

Btw, there's some discussion about that in this thread, starting at post #48.

Hello, I have a problem...
I can't see the "Sigma" icon for creating LaTex code, even in advanced text mode...
I've tried both IE and Chrome, but still no icon there. What am I doing wrong?

Daiquiri said:
I can't see the "Sigma" icon for creating LaTex code, even in advanced text mode...

It is not present in all subforums. Check general math or general physics - it is there, but not here.

vela said:

We probably don't want to go too far towards "posts in LaTex". There are some sub-forums here which have very little LaTeX use, and people there probably wouldn't appreciate having to type \$ to get a US Dollar sign.

The think that really bugs my typing is the foward slash in the closing tags and the backwards slash in LaTeX. [ \ tex ] (without the spaces!) as an alternative end tag would be nice.

Hey, I'm glad to see that equations are automatically indented under the new implementation -- I'm pretty sure this was not the case before. I don't know if this is built into MathJax, or is a tweak by Greg, but I am happy to see it.

(At least this is true in FireFox 4)

AlephZero said:
The think that really bugs my typing is the foward slash in the closing tags and the backwards slash in LaTeX. [ \ tex ] (without the spaces!) as an alternative end tag would be nice.
I am open to suggestions for additional delimiters.

Redbelly98 said:
Hey, I'm glad to see that equations are automatically indented under the new implementation -- I'm pretty sure this was not the case before.

It is a configuration setting in MathJax.

I suggest

$f$ as an alternative to [itεx]f[/itεx]

$$f$$ as an alternative to [tεx]f[/tεx]

(I couldn't figure out how Borek did his magic so I just wrote ε instead of e to let you see what I wrote).

That first one might break a few old posts, but it still think it's the best option, since it's easy to type, and also what you actually type in a LaTeX document.

Fredrik said:
I suggest

(I couldn't figure out how Borek did his magic so I just wrote ε instead of e to let you see what I wrote).

That first one might break a few old posts, but it still think it's the best option, since it's easy to type, and also what you actually type in a LaTeX document.

I second this idea. $'s instead of [ t e x ] would be a very welcome change!

Fredrik said:
It not only breaks existing posts, but, as AlephZero noted, it makes it difficult to type a dollar sign when you want a dollar sign. Something like $$ and @@ would be better, or $$ and $$$.

Yes, but this is a physics and math forum, not a forum for American accountants. :smile: I'm assuming that they can write something like \$3.50 instead of $3.50, and if that doesn't work, they can always write 3.50 USD.

(I'm not saying that I would find other options intolerable, only that I still like my suggestion best).

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
Yes, but this is a physics and math forum, not a forum for American accountants. :smile: I'm assuming that they can write something like \$3.50 instead of $3.50, and if that doesn't work, they can always write 3.50 USD.

(I'm not saying that I would find other options intolerable, only that I still like my suggestion best).

I bet it would cause a lot of casual and new members a lot of grief at first. \$ is not intuitive :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
I bet it would cause a lot of casual and new members a lot of grief at first. \$ is not intuitive :)

Well, I hope it doesn't effect the $ sign here: https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php"

Last edited by a moderator:
Fredrik said:
I suggest

Fredrik said:

I think using $ would break too many old posts. Even though we're primarily a science/math/engineering forum, the Politics and World Affairs area (for example) is and has been quite active at PF. A double $$ would be much better as a LaTeX delimiter.

As I see it, a key design feature of the current interface (whether or not it was planned that way or "just growed") is that if you don't even know LaTeX exists, you can type text and get what you expect.

Moving away from that principle on any "general access" web forum, is a BIG strategic decision to take IMO. That certainly rules out $ as a delimeter, and probably $$ as well.

BLEH! I just tried a search to see how many posts already used $$, and the answer was

1. Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.
The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : $$

I can certainly see your point and to some extent I agree with it. Not so much that I have changed my mind, but enough to start thinking about other options. How about ££math££ for inline, and $$math$$ for displaystyle?

Not sure where these symbols are on keyboards in other countries. On a Swedish keyboard, the pound sign is Alt Gr+3 and the dollar sign is Alt Gr+4, so both are easy to type.

Or how about not introducing new delimiters and instead configuring hotkeys that type the delimiters automatically. For example, right now, if I press Alt Gr+i, the computer types [noparse] and puts the cursor between and , and if I highlight a word before I press Alt Gr+i, the and the are inserted before and after that word. Is it possible to e.g. configure F8 and F9 to do that with itex and tex tags?[/noparse]

U.S. keyboards do not have £, at least that is true for PC's. $ is <shift>4

Fredrik, I'm not sure what this Gr key is. We normally use Shift, Ctrl, or Alt to change the character or function of other keys.