Why do I keep messing up on my math exams?

In summary: Third, it is very important to get a good night's sleep before an exam. This will help you to be refreshed and have good stamina.
Niaboc67
I don't understand how I am doing so badly right now. I am at University studying Calculus one and I just got my first exam back and I did not do well. I went over the practice exams with a tutor and studied the day before the exam extensively. Maybe I should have started earlier. Could someone please lay out what they are doing or did in the past to help them past math exams. Because whatever I am doing now is obviously not working. I cannot afford to bomb this course. I need help desperately.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you mess up on?

There are multitudes of different things that could be affecting your ability to perform well for your maths exam. Personally, I believe that being in a correct state of mind (being relaxed and composed) is one key element required to perform to the best of my abilities when sitting any formal assessment such as an exam. I think it allows a more enhanced ability to retrieve information that is stored within the brain, as if you have studied to required information to do the exam, it will be in there somewhere.

The output matches the input. Try to answer these questions: Have you really studied for the maths exam?
Can you do a mental review of the key principles/concepts required for the exam?
Did you rest well before the exam?
A true answer to these questions will perhaps show that the problem is in the preparation.
Prepare adequately and your results will reflect your efforts.
That said, what are the exact topics that are giving you headaches?
Emman 1

Niaboc67 said:
I went over the practice exams with a tutor and studied the day before the exam extensively.

You studied for a day? A whole day? :wideeyed:

First, you need to study continuously, not just at the end.
Second, you need to work on problems for much longer by yourself before asking for help. Being able to solve a problem with the assistance of PF is not the same as being able to solve it on your own.

Why do I keep messing up on my math exams?

There could be several reasons for consistently struggling on math exams. Some possible explanations include lack of understanding of key concepts, insufficient practice or preparation, test anxiety, or simply making careless mistakes. It is important to identify the specific issue that is causing difficulty in order to find a solution.

How can I improve my performance on math exams?

Improving performance on math exams requires a combination of understanding and practicing key concepts, developing effective test-taking strategies, and managing test anxiety. It is important to review material regularly, seek help from a teacher or tutor if needed, and practice solving problems similar to those on the exam.

Why do I seem to do well on homework and classwork, but struggle on exams?

Doing well on homework and classwork is a good indicator of understanding the material. However, exams often require a different set of skills, such as time management and test-taking strategies. It is important to practice these skills in addition to understanding the material in order to perform well on exams.

How can I overcome test anxiety for math exams?

Test anxiety can be a major factor in struggling on math exams. To overcome test anxiety, it can be helpful to practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing, before and during the exam. It is also important to have a positive attitude and to focus on the material rather than worrying about the outcome.

What resources are available to help me improve on math exams?

There are many resources available to help improve performance on math exams. These include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, study groups or tutors, and test-taking workshops. It is important to utilize these resources and find what works best for each individual's learning style.