Would a silver suite be a better body temperature decreaser

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a silver suit would be more effective at cooling off the body compared to spraying with water. It is mentioned that silver is a better conductor and can reflect radiated heat, but the mist method still uses convection which is more effective. It is also noted that a silver suit would need to be form fitting, have a way to deal with sweat, and have radiating fins to effectively cool the body. Ultimately, it is concluded that a combination of a silver suit and mist method would be the most effective way to cool off.
Paul Dirac
Would a silver suite be a better body temperature decreaser than a mister of water? I cool myself off by spraying myself with water but I hear silver is the best conductor, is it better at conducting heat off my body than mist?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Convection beats conduction.. mist method uses convection.
On top of that, anybody suit will trap a layer of air and sweat next to your body, insulating you, and silver will reflect radiated heat back.

Your silver suit would have to be form fitting on the inside, have some way to deal with the sweat, and have radiating fins on the outside, and you still need the mist. So the Silver Surfer still needs to sweat, though his silver skin will help transfer bodyheat to the water.

Last edited:

1. Can silver be used to decrease body temperature?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the claim that wearing silver can decrease body temperature. While silver is a good conductor of heat, it does not have any direct effect on body temperature.

2. How does silver affect body temperature?

Silver does not have any direct effect on body temperature. It may feel cooler to the touch because it is a good conductor of heat, but this does not mean it can actively decrease body temperature.

3. Are there any health benefits to wearing silver for temperature control?

There are no proven health benefits to wearing silver for temperature control. In fact, wearing silver jewelry or clothing may cause skin irritation or allergic reactions in some individuals.

4. Is silver a better body temperature decreaser compared to other metals?

No, silver is not a better body temperature decreaser compared to other metals. All metals have similar heat conductivity properties, so wearing silver will not have a significant impact on body temperature.

5. Are there any risks associated with using silver as a body temperature decreaser?

There are no known risks associated with using silver as a body temperature decreaser, but there is also no evidence to support its effectiveness. It is always important to consult with a healthcare professional before using any methods for temperature control.