Writing complicated integral in terms of the Gamma function

In summary, the conversation discusses writing the integral ##\int_{0}^{1}x^2(ln\frac{1}{x})^3 dx## in terms of the gamma function. The attempt at a solution involves using substitution and eventually obtaining the integral ##\int_{-\infty}^{0} u^3 e^{-u} du##, which resembles a gamma function but diverges due to incorrect substitution and limits.
davidbenari

Homework Statement

Write ##\int_{0}^{1}x^2(ln\frac{1}{x})^3 dx## in terms of the gamma function

2. Relevant equation
##\Gamma(p+1)=p\Gamma(p)##

The Attempt at a Solution

Say ##x=e^{-u}## one would eventually obtain the integral

##\int_{-\infty}^{0} u^3 e^{-u} du##

STEPS:
##x=e^{-u}## ##e^{u}=1/x## ##u=ln(1/x)## ##du=xdx##

##\int_{0}^{1}x^2(ln\frac{1}{x})^3 dx=\int_{0}^{-\infty} e^{-u} x u^3 \frac{du}{x}=\int_{-\infty}^{0} u^3 e^{-u} du##

Which wants to look like a gamma function but isn't because of the limits.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know what went wrong with the substitution (can you show the steps?), but the last integral diverges.

Likes davidbenari
sure I'll edit to add.

I've added it now mfb.

davidbenari said:
##du=xdx##
I don't think that is right.
And your integral limits look wrong, too.
x=1 corresponds to u=0, but x=0 corresponds to a different value for u.

Likes davidbenari
Yeah I've corrected it now. Thanks!

1. How do I write a complicated integral in terms of the Gamma function?

To write a complicated integral in terms of the Gamma function, you can use the following formula: ab f(x) dx = Γ(b) - Γ(a). This formula is known as the fundamental theorem of calculus and can be used to express integrals in terms of the Gamma function.

2. What is the Gamma function and how is it related to integrals?

The Gamma function is a mathematical function denoted by the symbol Γ. It is an extension of the factorial function and is used to generalize the concept of factorial to non-integer values. The Gamma function is closely related to integrals, as it can be used to express integrals in a simpler form.

3. Can the Gamma function be used to evaluate definite integrals?

Yes, the Gamma function can be used to evaluate definite integrals. By using the formula ab f(x) dx = Γ(b) - Γ(a), you can express the integral in terms of the Gamma function and then evaluate it using numerical methods or tables of values.

4. Are there any special properties of the Gamma function that can be useful in writing complicated integrals?

Yes, there are several special properties of the Gamma function that can be useful in writing complicated integrals. Some of these properties include the reflection formula, the duplication formula, and the recurrence relation. These properties can help simplify integrals and make them easier to express in terms of the Gamma function.

5. Are there any software programs or calculators that can help with writing complicated integrals in terms of the Gamma function?

Yes, there are several software programs and calculators that can help with writing complicated integrals in terms of the Gamma function. Some examples include Wolfram Alpha, MATLAB, and Maple. These programs have built-in functions for the Gamma function and can help with evaluating and simplifying integrals involving it.