Stress energy tensor interpretation

In summary, I'm interested in understanding the physical underpinnings of Einstein's stress energy tensor, but I'm not sure how best to go about it.
Naty1
I'd appreciate any explanations of the physical interpretations of Einstein's stress energy tensor...for general relativity...maybe a favorite explanatory/expository online source. Wikipedia is not very satisfying on this nor on the electromagnetic stress energy tensor. For example all involve momentum flux (flow) I think.

It would be really interesting to see an explanatory description comparing special and general relativity tensors and also how those formulations differs from an analogous one for electromagnetic waves. Maybe even a comparison to the one(s) use in mechanical engineering.

I get the concept that Einstein somehow included not only mass in his formalism but also stress and energy including negative pressure...Anybody have any historical information of where that all came from?? I've read a lot of books about physics but have seen only hints.
Figuring our his "equivalence principle" is understandable but how did he ever formulate all the components in his GR equations?

I've gathered some good information sources from online regarding the mathematical formalism of tensors (I posted those in the Learning section here) and the stress energy tensor for GR...for summer reading...but I'd really like to get some physical interpretations before attempting to study all that on my own...

I'm actually less interested in the mathematical formalism than explanatory descriptions of the stress energy tensor for GR descriptions since I doubt that even if I get a solid understanding of the formalism on my own (somewhat doubtful!) I'd likely be able to even remotely approach the interpretations of experts over the last 85 years or so. I'm happy to study the insights of others.

I do have BLACK HOLES AND TIME WARPS BY Kip Thorne for reading as that was a recommended reference somewhere here on physics forums...for GR. Thanks for any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Naty1

I thought the following was a good introduction to Stress Energy Tensors-

http://www.lerc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/Numbers/Math/documents/Tensors_TM2002211716.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is good, but how did Einstein relate gravity to a tensor?? If fluid dynamics reflected momentum flux and pressure at the time of Einstein's work I guess it's not so incredible that he included something for gravity.

I'm wondering if the physical insights Einstein was so famous for led him in the right direction towards the stress energy tensor or whether he used such a formalism because he saw it in fluid dynamics or maybe Maxwell's electromagnetic formulation...

Has the pressure aspect of gravity been experimentally verified? How do we know gravity IS self interacting...has that been experimentally verified?

What is the stress-energy tensor and why is it important in physics?

The stress-energy tensor is a mathematical object used in the theory of general relativity to describe the distribution of energy and momentum in a given space-time. It is important because it plays a crucial role in Einstein's equations of general relativity, which describe the relationship between the curvature of space-time and the distribution of matter and energy within it.

What does the stress-energy tensor represent?

The stress-energy tensor represents the energy and momentum density of a system in a given space-time. It describes how much energy and momentum is present at each point in space and time, and how it is distributed.

How is the stress-energy tensor interpreted in general relativity?

In general relativity, the stress-energy tensor is interpreted as the source of curvature in space-time. This means that the distribution of energy and momentum described by the tensor determines the curvature of space-time, which in turn affects the motion of objects within it.

What are the components of the stress-energy tensor?

The stress-energy tensor has ten components, which can be divided into two types: the spatial components, which describe the energy and momentum in the three spatial dimensions, and the temporal components, which describe the energy and momentum in the time dimension. The temporal components include the energy density and the energy flux, while the spatial components include the momentum density and the stress tensor.

How is the stress-energy tensor used in practical applications?

The stress-energy tensor is used in practical applications to solve problems in general relativity, such as predicting the behavior of objects in strong gravitational fields, such as black holes. It is also used in cosmology to study the evolution of the universe and the distribution of matter and energy within it.