Is the Jet Age of Computers Revolutionizing User Interface Design?

In summary, the author is a tech junkie and likes the new user interface in office 2007, the Google toolbar, and the new versions of AIM and Real Player. The author likes the Iphone and iPod, but wishes they were different sizes and that the cords were eliminated. The author likes XP, but wishes it was more robust. The author likes the new Mac OS and is excited about it.
What were you trying to do that was so difficult? Excel is pretty easy to use...:confused: You can use it with any standard VB editor.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Moonbear said:
:rofl: I haven't seen anyone with scooters around here, so that's not really an issue. I'm not sure what they do about motorcycles around here. I don't see many of them, but it's not like there's a place to put a hangtag, so they might get away with parking wherever they want.

I am feeling pretty luckv after reading that. They just started a new policy at my work, we just went to a 1 yr password, up from 90 days. Of course we need 12 characters, Upper case, lower case, numeric, special characters, and does not appear in a dictionary.

The one I hate is SAP, not sure how long the password lasts but when the time comes you are given no warning. You log on and get a message, change your password, NOW. I need some time to come up with a good password, at least the corporate site has a count down telling how many days are left till you have to change. I am currently locked out of sap, couldn't remember my password, It takes a phone call to India to get it reset, nothing against Indians, but i speak American, not heavily accented British. (Please, no offence intended)

Moonbear said:
Now if I could only figure out a way to get Macs and PCs to synchronize files so they all have the most current version of whatever I'm working on, I'd be thrilled...but not counting on that one. :rolleyes:

The best ways to manage versioning in a heterogenous environment are systems like CVS and SVN. Look into SmartCVS and SmartSVN as front-ends. You basically can commit an updated file from anywhere, and then have those changes automatically migrated to other computers before you begin working on the files there. They were written with program source-code in mind, but they will work with any kind of files. The downside? You need to run a server that will be visible to every computer involved.

You can also spend $10/month to get some cheap webspace, accessible from anywhere by FTP. Then you can use any of a number of different programs to easily move files back and forth from that shared space.

Even more simply, you might be able to get by with a small USB flash drive. They should work just fine for moving files back and forth between computers with different operating systems. Just make sure you keep frequent backup copies on more reliable storage.

If you have an iPod, you might even want to consider just using part of its capacity as an external, portable hard drive.

- Warren

Cyrus said:
What were you trying to do that was so difficult? Excel is pretty easy to use... [...]

"Difficult" and "easy" are too fuzzy terms ;)

Engineering R&D.

You come up with an idea, which may or may not work. You have to examine it, which will take some effort. The amount of effort depends on the applicable tools that you have mastered. In a given time frame, with one set of tools you'll be able to check out more ideas, with another set less.

Furthermore, the tools will have feedback on your ideas. You will semi-unconsciously cast aside ideas that would require too much effort to examine. Any repetition during the effort increases this negative feedback. And the bigger the effort needed, the more people involved, the more susceptible to Brooks' law.

Thus, engineers need to choose their tools not by how easy to use they appear to be at first sight, but by how they can facilitate throughput of ideas through the examination chain, which further boosts the breath and depth of ideas.

Regarding computing tools, the notion of "user-friendliness" as it is widely taken for granted today, is exceedingly poor at conducting the flow of engineering ideas. Excel (now I spelled it properly :) is the flagship of poorness; spreadsheets may be appropriate for something, but engineering computation it ain't.

Few simple test questions, for any senior engineering student: Can you wrap a loop around the computation that you have just built up, and a loop around it, and a loop around it, ad infinitum? Do you have an idea why you may need that capability? Can you make use of a dozen machines idling away on the campus during the off hours? Do you have an idea what you would use them for? If answer to any of these questions is no, then you are being held back by poor tools.

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)

Well, that's why you bring out the big guns and run matlab. :biggrin:

Excel is good for doing simple things. I would use excel for presentations, not matlab, because the graphs are pure eye candy! There are uses for it.

Another big gun is EES, Engineering Equation Sovler.