Find Sum of Series a^2: Law, Examples, Types

• Thread starter heaven eye
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series Sum
In summary: So we get a = 1/6, b = -1/2, c = 1/3. So the original terms are (1/6)x^3-(1/2)x^2+(1/3)x = (x^3-3x^2+2x)/6 = (x-1)(x-2)(x-3)/6.
heaven eye
a series such as :-

∑ from n = 1 ,until m for n

can be found with the law of the sum of arithmetical series:-

[m(2a+(m-1)d)]/2
where :-
m= the number of terms
a= the first term in the series
d= the basic arithmetical

in the pervious example :-

a=1 , d=1 , m=m

when we solve the last information in the law we find :-

∑ from n = 1 ,until m for n = m(m+1)/2

for example :-
1+2+3+4+...+18+19+20 = 20(20+1)/2 = 210

my question is :-

what about the series :-

∑ from n = 1 ,until m for n^2 ?

it isn't an artithmetical or even a geometrical series then :-

what kind of series is it ?

and how could they find that :-
∑ from n = 1 ,until m for n^2 = [m(m+1)(2m+1)]/6 ?

for example :-

(1^2)+(2^2)+(3^2)+(4^2)+(5^2)= 5(5+1)(2*5+1)/6 = 55

and thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's not an arithmetic series, obviously. In an arithmetic series, by definition, the difference between two consecutive terms must always be the same. But in 1, 22= 4, 32= 9, 42= 16, ..., the differences are 4-1 =3, 9- 4= 5, 16- 9= 7,...

Notice, however, those differences are consecutive odd numbers: the "second differences" 5-3. 7- 5, ... are all 2. Obviously, for the sum of squares, the first difference is the squares themselves so the "third differences" are all 2. "Newton's divided difference formula" gives us
[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n i^2= \frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/tex]

Similar things can be done for higher powers but the results get progressively more difficult.

Well sorry I was late to repost cause of exams

well thank you mr.HallsofIvy for your answer, now it is more clear to me

my reagrds

If you want to put time into it, you can assume that the sum of the integers has a leading square factor, the sum of the squares has a leading cube term, the sum of third powers, etc. (This follows from HallsofIvy above.)

We then attempt to find terms [tex]ax^3+bx^2+cx+d [/tex]=S(x)

We know that S(0) = 0 and so d=0. S(1) = a+b+c=1, S(2)=8a+4b+2c=5, S(3) = 27a+9b+3c=14. So we can solve these equations by elimination of terms.

Last edited:

1. What is the "Law of Sum of Series a^2"?

The Law of Sum of Series a^2 is a mathematical rule that states that the sum of the squares of a series of numbers is equal to the product of the sum of those numbers and the sum of their squares. In other words, for a series of numbers a1, a2, a3,..., the sum of their squares is equal to (a1 + a2 + a3 + ...) * (a1^2 + a2^2 + a3^2 + ...).

2. What are some examples of using the Law of Sum of Series a^2?

One example is finding the sum of the squares of the first n natural numbers, which can be done using the formula n(n+1)(2n+1)/6. Another example is finding the sum of the squares of consecutive odd or even numbers, which can be done using the formula n(n+1)(n+2)/3.

3. Are there different types of series that can be used with the Law of Sum of Series a^2?

Yes, the Law of Sum of Series a^2 can be applied to different types of series, including arithmetic, geometric, and harmonic series. However, the formula for finding the sum of the squares may vary depending on the type of series.

4. How is the Law of Sum of Series a^2 related to the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides, can be seen as a special case of the Law of Sum of Series a^2. This is because the Pythagorean theorem can be written as a^2 + b^2 = c^2, where a and b are the two shorter sides and c is the hypotenuse of the triangle.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Law of Sum of Series a^2?

Yes, the Law of Sum of Series a^2 has many applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate the potential energy of a spring, the kinetic energy of a rotating object, and the moment of inertia of a rotating body. It is also used in statistics to calculate the variance and standard deviation of a set of data.