Distance between planes in crystals

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab report on powder X-ray diffraction and the inclusion of a partial derivation of a formula relating to the distance between parallel planes. The individual also asks for help in finding a simple proof for the spacing between lines in a two-dimensional square lattice. Several sources are mentioned, but a clear derivation is not found. Finally, a link is provided for a visual explanation and the individual expresses gratitude for the help.
Stephan Hoyer
I'm working on a lab report on powder X-ray diffraction off of some relatively straight-forward crystals (Si, NaCl, CsCl) for an introductary course on modern physics.

I thought it would be useful to include a partial derivation of the formula relating the distance between parallel planes, d, the length of a cell edge, a, and the miller indices (hkl) for a cubic lattice:

[tex]d_{hkl} = \frac{a}{\sqrt{h^2+k^2+l^2}}[/tex]

I would be happy (and it would be sufficient for my purposes) to do a basic derivation of the spacing between lines in a hypothetical two dimensional square lattice. I've thought a lot about this problem, however, and what I thought would be a clear geometrical fact is turning out to be not so obvious.

Does anyone have any hints or links to a derivation? I got several texts on X-ray diffraction from my college's library, including a text, "Interpretation of x-ray powder diffraction patterns" but none of them include a clear derivation. What I've found online seems to be generally cursory, as well. I've drawn out a two dimensional square lattice and sample parallel lines going through it and I can see that the equation holds, but I'd like a simple proof, from first principles if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephan Hoyer said:
I'm working on a lab report on powder X-ray diffraction off of some relatively straight-forward crystals (Si, NaCl, CsCl) for an introductary course on modern physics.

I thought it would be useful to include a partial derivation of the formula relating the distance between parallel planes, d, the length of a cell edge, a, and the miller indices (hkl) for a cubic lattice:

[tex]d_{hkl} = \frac{a}{\sqrt{h^2+k^2+l^2}}[/tex]

I would be happy (and it would be sufficient for my purposes) to do a basic derivation of the spacing between lines in a hypothetical two dimensional square lattice. I've thought a lot about this problem, however, and what I thought would be a clear geometrical fact is turning out to be not so obvious.

Does anyone have any hints or links to a derivation? I got several texts on X-ray diffraction from my college's library, including a text, "Interpretation of x-ray powder diffraction patterns" but none of them include a clear derivation. What I've found online seems to be generally cursory, as well. I've drawn out a two dimensional square lattice and sample parallel lines going through it and I can see that the equation holds, but I'd like a simple proof, from first principles if possible.

Thanks for your help.
I am not sure if this helps you but have a look at http://www.eserc.stonybrook.edu/ProjectJava/Bragg/"

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't find it there with a quick look. So, anyway, it's short enough that I can write it down in a few lines.

Consider two adjacent planes, one of which goes through the origin. The second plane makes intercepts a/h, b/k, c/l (by definition of the Miller Indices). Let the point on this plane that's nearest the origin (O) be P. Then OP is the required d-spacing.

Let the line OP make angles A, B and C with each of the three axes. From trig, we have cos2(A)+cos2(B)+cos2(C)=1
But cos(A) = OP/OX = d/(a/h) = dh/a

Similarly, plug in for cos(B) and cos(C) and you will get the required result.

Thanks for you help. It looks like the general proof isn't actually so tedius after all, so I guess I'll include that instead.

Really Thanks. Thank you so much!

1. What is the significance of the distance between planes in crystals?

The distance between planes in crystals, also known as interplanar spacing, is an important factor in the properties and behavior of crystals. It affects the diffraction patterns, lattice structure, and overall stability of the crystal.

2. How is the distance between planes in crystals measured?

The distance between planes in crystals is typically measured using X-ray diffraction techniques. This involves directing X-rays onto the crystal and measuring the angles at which they are diffracted. From these angles, the interplanar spacing can be calculated using Bragg's Law.

3. What factors can affect the distance between planes in crystals?

The distance between planes in crystals can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the type of crystal lattice, temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or defects. These factors can cause the spacing to vary, leading to changes in the crystal's properties.

4. How does the distance between planes in crystals relate to crystallographic planes?

The distance between planes in crystals is directly related to the orientation and spacing of crystallographic planes. Each crystal has a unique arrangement of crystallographic planes, and the distance between these planes determines the crystal's symmetry and overall structure.

5. Can the distance between planes in crystals be manipulated?

Yes, the distance between planes in crystals can be manipulated through various methods such as applying stress or strain, altering the temperature or pressure, and introducing impurities. These techniques can be used to control and modify the properties of crystals for specific applications.