Composition of Lorentz Transformations

In summary: The quickest way to motivate the velocity-composition [without explicitly using the transformations] uses the k-calculus.
Hacky
It is not intuitive, for me at least, why when relating the velocity of 3 inertial frames (Say F1, F2 moving at v1 with respect to F1, and F3 moving at v2 with respect to F2), one mulitplies the transforms of F2 and F3 to get the transform for F1 with respect to F3 to get v3. I understand why v3 does not equal v1+v2 and have seen some very understandable derivations of the velocity composition formula. But I have not been able to find the derivation of how mupltiplying two transforms leads to the third (and thus leads to v3).

Thanks, Howard

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that you can make rotations in 3D multiplying diferent matrix, each one corresponding to a rotation along any selected axis, this is totally analogous, since lorentz transformations corresponds to rotations in four dimensions, with the lorentz metric.

Last edited:
Remember that a Lorentz transformation is just a linear transformation, like the ones you encounter in linear algebra. And the Lorentz transformation, like all linear transformations, has a matrix. You perform successive Lorentz transformations the same way you perform any successive linear transformations: By multiplying their matrices together.

Applying the transform once transforms all your vectors to the new co-ordinate system. So:

[tex]\vec{v'} = T_1\vec{v}.[/tex]

The next transform will now transform our new vectors, so:

[tex]\vec{v''} = T_2\vec{v'} = T_2 T_1 \vec{v}.[/tex]

I hope that explains it.

The strategy is essentially laid out here [using rapidities in 1+1 spacetime]
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=961838&postcount=13
...but you have to finish it off recognizing that the relative spatial velocity is c*tanh(theta_2-theta_1)... then use the hyperbolic trig identity. If you wish to avoid rapidities, you can use betas and gammas and various identities among them... but they are really hyperbolic trig identities.

The quickest way to motivate the velocity-composition [without explicitly using the transformations] uses the k-calculus.

For non-parallel velocity composition, you'll have to work with a larger more general version of the LT matrices (or else work with infinitesimals, or else do trig on a hyperbolic space).

Hacky said:
It is not intuitive, for me at least, why when relating the velocity of 3 inertial frames (Say F1, F2 moving at v1 with respect to F1, and F3 moving at v2 with respect to F2), one mulitplies the transforms of F2 and F3 to get the transform for F1 with respect to F3 to get v3. I understand why v3 does not equal v1+v2 and have seen some very understandable derivations of the velocity composition formula. But I have not been able to find the derivation of how mupltiplying two transforms leads to the third (and thus leads to v3).

Thanks, Howard

Do you understand how, in general, to compose arbitrary transforms?

Say transform T1 maps x->x', and transform T2 maps x'->x'', where x is a vector.

We can say x' = T1(x), and x''=T2(x').

The "composed" transform is a map from x->x''

x'' = T2(T1(x))

All you need to do for the specific case of the Lorentz transforms is work out the details.

Q: What is the composition of Lorentz transformations?

The composition of Lorentz transformations refers to the mathematical process of combining multiple transformations in special relativity. These transformations include time dilation, length contraction, and velocity addition.

Q: How are Lorentz transformations calculated?

Lorentz transformations are calculated using a set of equations derived from Einstein's theory of special relativity. These equations take into account the relative velocities of two reference frames and the speed of light.

Q: What is the significance of Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations are significant because they allow us to understand and describe the effects of relative motion and the constancy of the speed of light in special relativity. They are also essential for making accurate predictions in particle physics and other fields.

Q: Can Lorentz transformations be applied to any reference frame?

Yes, Lorentz transformations can be applied to any inertial reference frame, meaning a frame of reference that is not accelerating. This includes both stationary frames and frames that are moving at a constant velocity.

Q: Are there any limitations to the use of Lorentz transformations?

While Lorentz transformations accurately describe the effects of relative motion in special relativity, they do not take into account the effects of gravity. For this, more complex transformations are needed, such as those found in general relativity.