20V Input Voltmeter Using ICL7106

In summary, using the ICL7106 and an input voltage of +/-5V, it is possible to drive an LCD display with a 9V battery. However, it is possible to get the DMM chip into the 20V range if the voltage source is pretty stiff.
d1983
I am trying to design a 3 1/2 digit 20V voltmeter using the ICL7106 and I was wondering if anybody could help me with a few things:
1. How could I get it callibrated to a max 20V reading?
2. I will be using it as an onboard voltmeter for a variable DC power supply. If I tap the source 18V supply and convert it to +/- 5V will that interfere with my reading (Since I'm indirectly using my measured voltage as a supply to my IC)?

I know this is a bit of a specific question but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
From the ICL7106 datasheet at www.intersil.com, +/-5V supplies look like the typical setup for this DMM chip. Have you read the datasheet and application notes at the Intersil website?

The +/- 5V is standard for the ICL7107 which drives an LED display. The ICL7106 drives an LCD with a 9V battery.
I have read the application notes, and there is a way to make an autoranging voltmeter to get into the 20V range, but the schematic is a bit complex for me to reverse engineer it to a static 20V range.

I've been thinking about this today, and here's one idea:
I can put the input through a non inverting op amp in order to reduce the voltage by a factor of 10, then set up the reading on the chip to a 2V max (done in the spec sheets), and hard wire a decimal point.
Any comments on this idea? I'd like to keep error fairly low, so should I use 1% resistors? Is there a certain kind of op amp I should use?

What is the output impedance of the voltage source that you are digitizing? If it's pretty stiff, you could just do a resistor divider with 0.1% resistors.

But it sure seems like you should be able to force the DMM chip into the 20V range. Sorry that I haven't had time to read over the datasheet more carefully.

1. What is the purpose of an ICL7106 in a 20V input voltmeter?

The ICL7106 is a specialized integrated circuit (IC) that is used to measure voltage in electronic circuits. In a 20V input voltmeter, the ICL7106 acts as the main component that converts the analog voltage signal into a digital display.

2. How does the ICL7106 work in a 20V input voltmeter?

The ICL7106 works by using an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) to take the analog voltage signal from the input and convert it into a digital value. This digital value is then displayed on the voltmeter's display using a seven-segment display.

3. What is the maximum voltage that can be measured using a 20V input voltmeter with ICL7106?

The ICL7106 has a maximum voltage input range of 200mV to 2V, which can be extended to 20V by using an external voltage divider circuit. This means that a 20V input voltmeter using ICL7106 can measure voltages up to 20V with the help of an external voltage divider.

4. Can the ICL7106 be used for other types of measurements besides voltage?

Yes, the ICL7106 can be used for other types of measurements such as current, resistance, and temperature. However, additional circuitry and components may be required to convert the input signal into a voltage that can be measured by the ICL7106.

5. Is the ICL7106 suitable for high-precision voltage measurements?

The ICL7106 is a relatively low-cost and low-precision ADC, so it may not be suitable for high-precision voltage measurements. However, with proper calibration and design, it can still provide accurate measurements for most applications.