Statics Problem - I've been out of school too long.

In summary, the problem is analyzing the forces and reactions of a table with a non-centered weight on it, with the goal of determining the reaction forces at the four legs. The table has a width of 48 inches, length of 72 inches, height of 36 inches, and a total weight of 250 lbs. The center of gravity of the weight is located at x=32 inches, y=26 inches, and z=28 inches. The problem requires finding the amount of force exerted by each of the four legs on the floor. The individual seeking help has an ME degree but needs a simple explanation and is considering using a computer program to solve the problem. Suggestions for solving the problem include using the joint method and properly modeling
Michael Wakefield
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Simple representation of the problem is the analysis of the forces and reactions of a table with a non-centered weight on it. I am seeking the reaction forces at the four legs.

Specifics...
Table width - 48"
Table length - 72"
Table height - 36"
Total weight of table and load is 250 lbs.
C.O.G. of all weight is...
x=32" (width)
y=26" (length)
z=28" (height)

I need to determine, from this loading, how much force each of the four legs exerts on the floor.

I have summed forces, summed moments, and come up with 3 equations and four unknowns. How can I get to the answer?

Thanks in advance for any efforts to show me how to do this. I have an ME degree but please make no assumptions of prerequisite knowledge. I'm afraid it has been long forgotten. Please spell it out for me if you can.
MW

Engineering news on Phys.org
How do you know where the C.O.G. is if you can't figure out the rest of the problem?
Are the legs at the corners or inset?

Why not just scrounge up some bathroom scales.
Put one under each leg.

Michael Wakefield said:
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Simple representation of the problem is the analysis of the forces and reactions of a table with a non-centered weight on it. I am seeking the reaction forces at the four legs.

Specifics...
Table width - 48"
Table length - 72"
Table height - 36"
Total weight of table and load is 250 lbs.
C.O.G. of all weight is...
x=32" (width)
y=26" (length)
z=28" (height)

I need to determine, from this loading, how much force each of the four legs exerts on the floor.

I have summed forces, summed moments, and come up with 3 equations and four unknowns. How can I get to the answer?

Thanks in advance for any efforts to show me how to do this. I have an ME degree but please make no assumptions of prerequisite knowledge. I'm afraid it has been long forgotten. Please spell it out for me if you can.
MW
The table, asumed bolted to the floor, is stable with just three legs. With 4 unknowns, you need to do a deflection analysyis and superposition, just as you would have to do if you had a beam in 2D supported on 3 supports. Best to get out the bathroom scales.

Interesting problem. You need another equation. There are many ways to sum up the moments. You can sum the moments about the diagonals also if you haven't already.

civil_dude said:
Interesting problem. You need another equation. There are many ways to sum up the moments. You can sum the moments about the diagonals also if you haven't already.
Yeah, but you can sum the moments about any axis till thy kingdom come and it won't buy you the 4th equation. The problem is indeterminate using only the equilibrium equations. Only by removing one of the supports and calculating the deflection at that removed support, then placing an unknown load R at that removed support and calculating the deflection at that same point, and reactions in terms of R, then summing the 2 deflections to zero, can you sove this problem. Not too bad in 2D, but a bear in 3. Of course, a computer would help. Or a good handbook that calculates Reactions from a concentrated load at any point acting on a flat plate supported on 4 pinned supports will work (Roarke's "Stress and Strain" comes to mind).

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. I drastically simplified the assembly with my "table" analogy. Actual assembly is a structual steel welded base, fan, motor, and housings all mounted on four springs. Because of this complexity the bathroom scale idea, while it would give me exactly what I need, is not workable.

I am glad to know I recalled statics correctly. 3 equations and 4 unknowns just doesn't cut it. As opposed to getting into the superposition logic I think I will try to get the computer to solve it for me. I have an FEA software, COSMOS, that I think will tell me the reactions if I can place the proper force at the center of gravity.

Thanks again for your suggestions and confirmation that it is not a straight forward problem to solve.
MW

Michael Wakefield said:
Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. I drastically simplified the assembly with my "table" analogy. Actual assembly is a structual steel welded base, fan, motor, and housings all mounted on four springs. Because of this complexity the bathroom scale idea, while it would give me exactly what I need, is not workable.

I am glad to know I recalled statics correctly. 3 equations and 4 unknowns just doesn't cut it. As opposed to getting into the superposition logic I think I will try to get the computer to solve it for me. I have an FEA software, COSMOS, that I think will tell me the reactions if I can place the proper force at the center of gravity.

Thanks again for your suggestions and confirmation that it is not a straight forward problem to solve.
MW
Ok, if it's on springs, be sure to model in the spring constants and plate rigidity correctly. When the supports deflect, results could be far different than analysis using rigid supports would show. Good luck!

you have summed forces, summed moments, and come up with 3 equations and four unknowns... try using the joint method... it will increase the no. of your equation by involving the internal reaction of the joint or bolt (assuming that the table is hold by a bolt, joint or nail)... You can have a reference on Engineering Mechanics by Singer...

1. What is Statics and why is it important?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in constant motion. It is important because it helps us understand the forces and torques acting on stationary objects, which is crucial in engineering and design.

2. What are the basic principles of Statics?

The basic principles of Statics include the concept of equilibrium, which states that an object at rest or in constant motion will remain in that state unless acted upon by an external force. Other principles include the vector representation of forces, the concept of free body diagrams, and the use of Newton's laws of motion.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Statics?

Practicing problem-solving and using visual aids such as diagrams and models can greatly improve your understanding of Statics. It is also helpful to review the basic principles and formulas regularly and seek help from a tutor or professor if needed.

4. What are some common applications of Statics?

Statics is used in a variety of fields such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and physics. It is applied to analyze and design structures such as buildings, bridges, and machines. It is also used in understanding the movement of objects in space and the forces acting on them.

5. Is Statics a difficult subject?

Like any other subject, the difficulty level of Statics can vary for different individuals. It requires a good understanding of basic mathematical concepts and critical thinking skills. With consistent practice and effort, anyone can grasp the principles of Statics and solve problems effectively.