General Relativity Question

In summary: It tells us that, as the head of the observer approaches the singularity, their foot worldline will curve into the singularity.
dimachka
Im trying to figure out about what happens as an observer falls into a black hole using the swarzschild geometry. Assuming the person is somehow able to not fall apart, I'm sure that they can see their feet before the event horizon, after the event horizon and even during the event horizon. (Drew an eddington-finkelstein diagram). What I am unsure about is whether this observer will ever see her feet hit the singularity assuming she doesn't fall apart.

My thoughts on this are that any two points on the worldline of her feet and head not at r=0 are connected by a null geodesic and thus except at the singularity the observer can always see her feet (of course at a different time than where her head currently is) However, i am not sure how this works as she gets to the singularity. Since any non-zero points are connected, it seems she can get arbitrarily close and still see her feet, but I don't know whether that means she ever actually sees her feet hit the singularity. Thanks for the input.

BTW, this is question 12.13 in Hartle's book.

Physics news on Phys.org
dimachka said:
My thoughts on this are that any two points on the worldline of her feet and head not at r=0 are connected by a null geodesic

Is this what you really meant to say?

There are two different worldlines, one for her feet and one her head.

From any event on the worldline of her feet, is it always possible to draw a null geodesic that intersects the worldline of her head.

Remember, the singularity is spacelike.

the singularity is at r=0, that is why i said that is true for all point r=!0. It seems like although when her head is approaching the singularity, the observer will be able to see her feet, she will see them still away from the singularity. (past the horizon the null geodesics curve into the singularity) Am i thinking about this correctly?

EDIT: i see what you were saying, no i did not mean to say any two points are connected. But any point on the head's worldline, is connected to some point on the foot's worldline by a null geodesic outside of the singularity.

EDIT2: I suppose my difficulty is that general relativity doesn't say anything about what is happening right at the singularity and the question asks whether the observer will see her feet AT the singularity, am i missing what G.R. can say about this question?

Last edited:
Add another timelike worldline to either Figure 12.6 or 12.7. Can, even near the singularity, a 45 degree line, be drawn from the bottom worldline to the top worldline?

Remember, the singularity (the hyperbola r = 0) is spacelike.

Here's another way to look at it.

On a Kruskal-Szekeres diagram, draw a 45 degree line from the "event" of the head crashing into the singularity back to the worldline of the feet.

What does this tell you?

1. What is the concept of spacetime in general relativity?

In general relativity, spacetime is a four-dimensional mathematical model that combines the three dimensions of space with the dimension of time. This concept was first introduced by Albert Einstein and it describes how massive objects interact with the fabric of spacetime, causing it to curve and creating the force we know as gravity.

2. How does general relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

Newton's theory of gravity, also known as classical mechanics, explains gravity as a force acting between masses in space. In contrast, general relativity explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by massive objects. This theory also accounts for the effects of time dilation and gravitational lensing, which are not explained by Newton's theory.

3. Can you give an example of how general relativity has been confirmed by experiments?

One of the most famous examples of general relativity being confirmed by experiments is the observation of the bending of light around massive objects, such as stars. This phenomenon, known as gravitational lensing, was first predicted by Einstein's theory and has been observed multiple times through astronomical observations and experiments.

4. How does general relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

General relativity has had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe. It has provided a comprehensive framework for understanding the behavior of massive objects and the effects of gravity, including the expansion of the universe and the formation of black holes. It has also been instrumental in the development of technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise measurements of time and space.

5. Are there any unresolved issues or challenges with general relativity?

While general relativity has been incredibly successful in explaining the behavior of the universe on a large scale, it is not a complete theory. There are still unresolved issues, such as the incompatibility with quantum mechanics and the inability to fully explain the behavior of black holes. These challenges have led scientists to search for a more comprehensive theory, such as a theory of quantum gravity.