Books recommendation on electrodynamics

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on which electromagnetism book to use after struggling with Jackson's electrodynamics. They have been recommended Schwartz's Principles of Electrodynamics and Melia's Electrodynamics and are wondering if the newer edition of Jackson's book is different from the older one they were shown by their lecturer. They also mention a trend of new editions being more pragmatic and omitting some rigor. They welcome any comments or suggestions on the matter.
jasum
I just finished Griffths intro. to electrodynamics and works half of the problems Griffths provided. Now,I attempt to read Jackson's electrodynamics and found it is very hard for me...
Indeed, should I need to go back to Griffths's electrodynamics and learn those concepts again? or I should try another book?any suggestions for a good E&M books? Thank you ~!

Physics news on Phys.org
Jackson's EM book

Hello everyone,
I have some confusion about Jackson's electrodynamics book.
Once upon a time, my lecturer showed me his Jackson's EM book. I think it was an old edition. It has red cover.
He admires it a lot and so do I and he always stresses that it's probably one of the best EM books, a standard EM book with rigorous math formulations and difficult practice questions too.
But when I went to book store and found a Jackson's EM book, which is certainly a new edition one, I did not find such characteristics. I think the level is about the same as Griffith's. I just get confused why the new (dark blue cover) edition of Jackson's seems to be different from the old edition. I guess the common trend is that new books tend to be 'more pragmatic' than the older versions, removing 'assumedly-excessive and unnecessary mathematical rigors', though they may include new developments, which may not be novel from basic science principle perspective, but may be more relevant and of more practical values for real and recent world applications. Does indeed this really happen to Jackson's EM book, the new version? Or did I just get the wrong impression because I hadn't even gone thru the new version book thoroughly?
Any comment would be much appreciated

regards

Maybe not many people have had a chance to compare the red and blue editions of Jackson. I do know that the blue edition mixes SI and Gaussian units. I recently got a good (but musty smelling :yuck:) used copy of the red edition from alibris.com.

1. What are the best books for understanding the fundamentals of electrodynamics?

Some recommended books for understanding the fundamentals of electrodynamics include "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths, "Classical Electrodynamics" by John David Jackson, and "Electromagnetic Theory" by Julius Adams Stratton.

2. Are there any books specifically geared towards beginners in electrodynamics?

Yes, "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations" by Daniel Fleisch is a great book for beginners in electrodynamics. It breaks down the complex concepts into more manageable chunks and provides helpful visual aids.

3. Are there any online resources for learning about electrodynamics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about electrodynamics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera.

4. Do you have any recommendations for books that cover both classical and quantum electrodynamics?

Yes, "Quantum Electrodynamics" by Richard Feynman is a highly recommended book that covers both classical and quantum electrodynamics. "Electrodynamics and Classical Theory of Fields and Particles" by A. O. Barut is another great option.

5. Are there any books that focus on practical applications of electrodynamics?

Yes, "Electrodynamics for Engineers" by Fawwaz T. Ulaby and Umberto Ravaioli is a great book that focuses on practical applications of electrodynamics in engineering. "Electrodynamics and Applications" by Paul Lorrain and Dale Corson is also a popular choice for its emphasis on applications in modern technology.