2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago

• Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
In summary, the Unofficial PF Gathering is planned for the week of July 4, 2007, and the preference is for the 5, 6, 7, or 8 of July. The location is still to be determined, but is likely to depend on the number of attendees. There is no definite date yet, but the earliest that it could be is the 5, 6, 7, or 8 of July. The Gathering will be at either Tom's or Zz's place, and either Moonbear or Tom will pick up the attendee. If the number of attendees is small enough, we might do this gathering at my place, and I'll cook dinner!
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It's back, folks! The 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago is being planned for the week of July 4, 2007. This is a very early, advanced notice to everyone so that you have ample time to plan your summer vacation and trips.

The exact date has not been set yet. The preference right now is for the 5, 6, 7, or 8 of July. If you would like to attend and have a preferred date, please let me know. The location is also to be determined, since it will depend on the number of people attending.

So come on down and meet the people that you've only "seen" via their words, punctuations, and emoticons. I might even show you my Disney pin collection! Now what bigger incentive to attend the Gathering than that?

:biggrin:

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
I could probably go if you have it on a weekend.

I may be out at ANL sometime this summer anyway. I'll let you know.

I would love to meet my sisters!

ZapperZ said:
The preference right now is for the 5, 6, 7, or 8 of July.

I might even show you my Disney pin collection!

You might need all of those dates to see the whole collection. :bugeye:

Tom!

Long time no see!

Math Is Hard said:
Tom!

Long time no see!
I thought that same thing.

Hey, TM. Where you been? :biggrin:

My life has undergone a big turnaround recently. One major contributor to that has been my return to school (started last fall). But I'm back now, and I plan on going to Chicago for this gathering. If you've never been to the Taste of Chicago, then you should do it at least once. It's a great time in a great city.

Tom Mattson said:
You might need all of those dates to see the whole collection. :bugeye:

Math Is Hard said:
Tom!

Long time no see!

Astronuc said:
I thought that same thing.

Hey, TM. Where you been? :biggrin:

Tom's back JUST so he could say that about my Disney collection!

Zz.

I'm in! MIH, I'm going to try to include at least one weekend day in my visit (probably the Saturday after the 4th). Though, now that Tom mentions it, I might need to add an extra day to see the full extent of the Disney pin collection. I've only seen what they can acquire on a single trip, so can't begin to imagine what is crammed into that home! :biggrin:

I'm in if...Moonbear will pick me up, let me sleep in her car, and drop me off on her way back! :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
I'm in if...Moonbear will pick me up, let me sleep in her car, and drop me off on her way back! :biggrin:

:rofl: I'm actually trying to decide between making it a road trip and flying. It'll probably depend on how much extra time I have as the time approaches closer.

Edit: Just to make this a bit more official, I've booked a room in Chicago from July 1 through July 7, so can meet up for a PF gathering any day that week. Since Zz didn't mention it (unless I missed it above somewhere), that week is also the Taste of Chicago week...I plan to fully enjoy that! That also means rooms will be booked pretty early, so if anyone is thinking about joining us, and doesn't have relatives/friends to stay with, you might want to book a hotel pretty early (hence the reason I've already reserved a room).

Last edited:
I forgot to add here that if anyone from out-of-town plans on joining us and need some help with hotel recommendations, I'd be more than happy to help. Just ask Moonbie! :)

If the number of attendees is small enough, we might do this gathering at my place, and I'll cook dinner! You may take that as an incentive, or a deterrent. :)

More definite info will follow as the date gets closer and as we know how many are coming. So far, we are planning on the weekend after July 4th, the leading candidate is Saturday, July 7th.

Zz.

This is the first time that I have felt a twinge of regret that I have mostly quit traveling for my work. I have passed through O'Hare at least dozens of times, and could have easily arranged to meet in years past. One year [just before I joined PF] I spent nearly two weeks in a hotel on the Loop.

Last edited:
If I can, I'll drive over on saturday and get back some time sunday.

ZapperZ said:
I forgot to add here that if anyone from out-of-town plans on joining us and need some help with hotel recommendations, I'd be more than happy to help. Just ask Moonbie! :)

Zz.

What! Hotel Recommendations? You mean you aren't planning on telling us bed-time stories and tucking us in with you? Booooo... in that case *I* don't know if I want to even consider comming! :cry:

Newbie says Hi said:
What! Hotel Recommendations? You mean you aren't planning on telling us bed-time stories and tucking us in with you? Booooo... in that case *I* don't know if I want to even consider comming! :cry:

:rofl: Your nickname is misleading. You sound like you've been around here for ages already. :rofl:

Moonbear said:
:rofl: Your nickname is misleading. You sound like you've been around here for ages already. :rofl:

No doubt. :rofl: Newbie, change your name. Didn't we fish-slap you already?

And yeah, what's the dang deal? I thought we were all staying in the Disney Suite at Zapper's! :approve:

Math Is Hard said:
And yeah, what's the dang deal? I thought we were all staying in the Disney Suite at Zapper's! :approve:

You can't just ask to stay at the Disney Suite. You have to be lucky enough to be selected for it, just they way they do for Cindy's Castle at the Magic Kingdom.

Zz.

Moonbear said:

LOL. I think you have me mistaken for someone else. :confused:

Math Is Hard said:
No doubt. :rofl: Newbie, change your name. Didn't we fish-slap you already?

Nope, seriously, I think you and Moonbie have me mistaken for someone else. :confused:

(Honest to goodness)

Newbie says Hi said:
LOL. I think you have me mistaken for someone else. :confused:

Nah, you just seem to fit in very well already, what with giving Zz a hard time for not tucking us in personally, and all that. :biggrin:

*sniff* I was really looking forward to those Mickey Mouse pancakes in the morning. :frown:

disney_0607_030.jpg

Last edited:
Math Is Hard said:
*sniff* I was really looking forward to those Mickey Mouse pancakes in the morning. :frown:

disney_0607_030.jpg

How can anyone consider eating something that cute! :tongue2:

Math Is Hard said:

disney_0607_030.jpg

Wait till you see the Mickey Mouse waffles!

Zz.

So if we come to Chicago, should we fly to Midway or O'Hare airport? I know absolutely nothing about the city. I am going to look on cheaptickets.com and see if I can find a discount red-eye flight.

Math Is Hard said:
So if we come to Chicago, should we fly to Midway or O'Hare airport? I know absolutely nothing about the city. I am going to look on cheaptickets.com and see if I can find a discount red-eye flight.

Either one will work. If you find a place to stay north of the city, then O'Hare will be closer. My place is north of the city.

Both airports, btw, are connected to the CTA train lines, although you have to walk across the parking ramp to get to the one at Midway.

Zz.

Question: Is anyone interested in geeky tours? Between ZZ and I, a tour of ANL/APS may be possible, but I am also aware of two other venues:

1) Is anyone here at FNAL? If not, I know two of the docents and may be able to get something put together.

2) The NorthWest Suburban Astronomers will have observing going on over the wekend. If people are interested in heading out to what is practically Iowa to gaze through a 'scope or two, this can probably be arranged.

Needless to say, we should find out how many people are showing up...

ZM

Well, I fully expect a gate pass to ANL. Don't know how much of a tour I need, but I'll probably follow the sound of It's a Small World (or should that be ISW...ZM is teaching me all about the importance of TLAs at ANL :rofl:) until I find one or the other of you. Oh, and I want to have a tricycle race around the APS ring (though, they'd probably frown on that, wouldn't they :rolleyes:). I better stop now, or neither of you will want to let me in. o:)

Are you kidding? There are *no* APS staff present between midnight and 8am...

I'll pump up the tires on our trikes. :)

ZM

PS: If anyone wants to help me make a safety video about trike riding in the APS involving blood and latex dummies, let me know. :rofl:

zenmaster99 said:

ZM

PS: If anyone wants to help me make a safety video about trike riding in the APS involving blood and latex dummies, let me know. :rofl:

Only if I get a balloon and a lollipop too. :biggrin:

zenmaster99 said:

ZM

Speaking of which, I had a friend who used to work at the APS several years ago, and he actually got a SPEEDING TICKET for riding too fast on his tricycle!

I think Moonbie should get one just for the heck of it. :biggrin:

But this is a good point. If any PF'ers are coming to the Gathering that week, we can get them a tour of Argonne (non-US citizens should let us know way in advanced). I know Moonbie is already planning on a trip there, and I took Tom in last time.

Zz.

This is another quick reminder of our plan for the up-coming unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago, which is roughly 3 months away. So far the tentative date is Saturday, July 7th. It would seem that this is just the right time to do it because the Cubs won't be playing at home at all the whole week! So parking in my neighborhood will only be merely difficult, rather than impossible.

:)

If you think you can make it, please contact me so that I can have a rough head count.

Zz.

Zz, count my head, roughly. I'll try and swing by for a day.

ZapperZ said:
It's back, folks! The 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago is being planned for the week of July 4, 2007. This is a very early, advanced notice to everyone so that you have ample time to plan your summer vacation and trips.

The exact date has not been set yet. The preference right now is for the 5, 6, 7, or 8 of July. If you would like to attend and have a preferred date, please let me know. The location is also to be determined, since it will depend on the number of people attending.

So come on down and meet the people that you've only "seen" via their words, punctuations, and emoticons. I might even show you my Disney pin collection! Now what bigger incentive to attend the Gathering than that?

Zz.
Sounds interesting. :smile:

Is the idea to discuss the "technicalities of the sciences" or is it mostly socializing?

<h2>1. What is the purpose of the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago?</h2><p>The purpose of the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago is to bring together fans of the band Pink Floyd for a day of celebration, music, and community. It is a chance for fans to connect with each other and share their love for the band's music.</p><h2>2. When and where will the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago take place?</h2><p>The 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago will take place on Saturday, August 15th, 2020 at Grant Park in Chicago, Illinois.</p><h2>3. How can I attend the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago?</h2><p>To attend the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago, you can purchase tickets online through the official event website. Tickets will also be available for purchase at the entrance of the event.</p><h2>4. Are there any special guests or performances planned for the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago?</h2><p>Yes, there will be special guests and performances at the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago. The lineup will be announced closer to the event date, so stay tuned for updates!</p><h2>5. Can I bring my own food and drinks to the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago?</h2><p>Outside food and drinks are not allowed at the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago. However, there will be a variety of food and beverage vendors at the event for attendees to purchase from.</p>

1. What is the purpose of the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago?

The purpose of the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago is to bring together fans of the band Pink Floyd for a day of celebration, music, and community. It is a chance for fans to connect with each other and share their love for the band's music.

2. When and where will the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago take place?

The 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago will take place on Saturday, August 15th, 2020 at Grant Park in Chicago, Illinois.

3. How can I attend the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago?

To attend the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago, you can purchase tickets online through the official event website. Tickets will also be available for purchase at the entrance of the event.

4. Are there any special guests or performances planned for the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago?

Yes, there will be special guests and performances at the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago. The lineup will be announced closer to the event date, so stay tuned for updates!

5. Can I bring my own food and drinks to the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago?

Outside food and drinks are not allowed at the 2nd Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago. However, there will be a variety of food and beverage vendors at the event for attendees to purchase from.