Did i do this problem correctly

• Thread starter rijo664
  • Start date
In summary, a large rubber ball is fired from a spring loaded mechanism on the roof of a building with a gravitational potential energy of 396 J. It bounces back up to a height of 9.5 meters. The total mechanical energy and change in gravitational potential energy can be calculated using the given information. The velocity of the ball is not necessary for the calculations. The change in internal energy of the ball will cause an increase in temperature, which can be calculated using the specific heat of rubber.
rijo664
idk if i did this correctly so far so here goes.

The question states

A large rubber ball (8.80 kg) is fired straight down from the roof of a building from a spring loaded mechanism that stored 987 J of elastic potential energy. The building roof is 14.0 meters above ground. The rubber bounces straight back up (noiselessly--don't ask how) back to a height of 9.5 meters. Assuming no heat is lost to the air around the ball, calculate the increase in temperature of the ball (Specific Heat of rubber is 1250 J/kgK

What i did was:
M= 8.80kg
Spring Potential Energy= 987 J
Building roof= 14.0 m
The rubber bounces back up= 9.5 m
Specific Heat of rubber is 1250 J/kgK

1) I found the Change in Height= 14.0-9.5= 4.5m
2) Then i used the gravitational potential energy formula which is
(mass)(g)(the change in height)
3)g=10
4)Gravitational Potential Energy= (8.80)(10)(4.5)
gravitational potential energy= 396 J

Physics news on Phys.org
rijo664 said:
What i did was:
M= 8.80kg
Spring Potential Energy= 987 J **
Building roof= 14.0 m
The rubber bounces back up= 9.5 m
Specific Heat of rubber is 1250 J/kgK

1) I found the Change in Height= 14.0-9.5= 4.5m
2) Then i used the gravitational potential energy formula which is
(mass)(g)(the change in height)
3)g=10
4)Gravitational Potential Energy= (8.80)(10)(4.5)
gravitational potential energy= 396 J

Don't forget that the ball wasn't dropped from rest from the top of the building; it was *launched* by a spring gun. What was the ball's initial kinetic energy when it first started down to the ground? What was the total mechanical energy it had when it hit the ground? How much total mechanical energy did it have at the end of its rebound? Did all of the mechanical energy loss go into heating the ball?

well i don't have the velocity to use the kinetic energy formula u got any advice for that.

(Hmm, the edit function doesn't work with this browser...) I also wanted to say that what you have calculated so far is the *change* in the gravitational potential energy of the ball. Your value looks correct. (Is it OK to use g=10? I'm just asking whether your grader accepts this level of precision.) What *else* do you need?

rijo664 said:
well i don't have the velocity to use the kinetic energy formula u got any advice for that.

You don't need to know the velocity of the ball at any point. You only need to consider the amounts of each type of energy (kinetic; gravitational potential; heat or internal). It's the change in internal energy of the ball that is going to cause the temperature change.

i got that but i need the formula though

rijo664 said:
i got that but i need the formula though

The formula for kinetic energy is KE = (1/2)M(v^2). What do you need it for?

Calculating KE is not necessary. You need to know how much total mechanical energy you started with, and how much you have after the first bounce. It is more than 396 J.

1. How can I tell if I did this problem correctly?

The best way to determine if you did a problem correctly is by double-checking your work. Make sure you followed all of the steps correctly and got the correct answer. You can also ask a teacher or peer to review your work and provide feedback.

2. I'm not sure if I did this problem correctly. What should I do?

If you are unsure about the accuracy of your work, it's always best to seek help from a teacher or peer. They can review your work and provide guidance on any mistakes you may have made.

3. Is there a specific method to use to check if I did a problem correctly?

While there is no one specific method, the best way to check if you did a problem correctly is by following the steps provided in your textbook or by your teacher. Make sure to double-check your work and use any provided examples as a guide.

4. What should I do if I find out I did a problem incorrectly?

If you discover that you did a problem incorrectly, don't panic. First, try to identify where you went wrong and correct your mistake. If you are still struggling, seek help from a teacher or peer. Remember, making mistakes is a part of learning and can help you improve in the future.

5. How can I become more confident in my problem-solving abilities?

Practice makes perfect! The more you practice solving problems, the more confident you will become. You can also seek help from a teacher or peer for additional guidance and support. Remember to stay positive and trust in your abilities. You got this!