Freefall with unknown designation of length

In summary, using the equations h = ut + 1/2at^2 and v = v0 + at, we can determine the time and height of an object falling a distance h from rest. By setting the overall journey distance to h, the last second distance to 0.42h, and the initial velocity to g(t-1), we can solve for t and then use it to find h. In this case, the object falls for a total of 4.19415 seconds and reaches a height of 86.21 meters.
PatrickR.
An object falls a distance h from rest. If it travels 0.42h in the last 1.00 s, find (a) the time and (b) the height of its fall.

so I know a=-g

and I believe I need to use v= v0 + at to some extent.

I also believe that they are trying to say that in the last 1s of the fall it traveled 42% of the total distance.

however because a=-9.8m/s/s and I am given "h" and not m I do not know how to incorporate that into the equation.

Greatly of appreciative of any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry about the signs in the equations you'll have to use since it FALLS h and so you'd be as well saying everything downward is positive.

The way I've done this is a bit longwinded but... hopefully useful...

You need also the equation,

[tex]
s = ut + \frac{1}{2}at^2,
[/tex]
where u is the initial velocity and s the distance fallen.

You have an equation for its overall journey where s = h, u = 0 and a = g.
You have an equation for the last second where s = 0.42h, a = g, t = 1.
You can work out u for the last second of the journey using u = v_0 + at = g(t-1) where t in this equation is the total time and you minus the last second of journey.

The first equation can be used then with the second equation (since we have worked out u from the third equation) to find t (might mean using the quadratic formula), then you use this in the first to find h.

You hadn't a reply yet and i thought it interesting so i had a go myself... just have a go at following what I've said through and hopefully it all works.

Loonychune, thank you so much you've been of great help.

so to solve

Eqn1. h=(1/2)at2

Eqn2. .42h=(1/2)(9.8)(1)2 + u

Eqn3. u=(9.8)(t-1)

plugging 3 into 2 we get h= (-4.9 + 9.8t)/.42

plugging 2 into 1 we get 4.9t2 + -23.3333t + 11.6667=0

the only good root is t= 4.19415 s as our total fall time

so plugging t in for eqn1. h=86.21 m

What is freefall with unknown designation of length?

Freefall with unknown designation of length refers to an object falling under the influence of gravity without any other forces acting on it, but the length or distance of the fall is unknown.

What factors affect freefall with unknown designation of length?

The main factor that affects freefall with unknown designation of length is the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and the mass of the object may also play a role.

Can freefall with unknown designation of length be measured?

Yes, freefall with unknown designation of length can be measured by using tools such as a stopwatch and measuring the distance the object falls. However, if the distance is unknown, it cannot be accurately measured.

How is the velocity of an object in freefall with unknown designation of length calculated?

The velocity of an object in freefall with unknown designation of length can be calculated using the formula: v = gt, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time.

What is the difference between freefall with unknown designation of length and freefall with a known designation of length?

The main difference between freefall with unknown designation of length and freefall with a known designation of length is that in the latter, the distance or length of the fall is known and can be measured, while in the former, the distance is unknown and cannot be accurately measured.