How do you differentiate x^{1/x} using the power rule and chain rule?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum result for the equation \sqrt[x]{x}, which is found at x = e. The differentiation of y = x^{1/x} is discussed and a function f(x) is found to rewrite it in the form y=\exp(f(x)). The conversation also mentions using the power rule and the chain rule to simplify the differentiation process.
madmike159
Gold Member
I was looking at results of different numbers in the equation [tex]\sqrt[x]{x}[/tex] and found out that the biggest result came when it was [tex]\sqrt[e]{e}[/tex]. I know this can be re-written as [tex]x^{1/x}[/tex] and that the gradient would be 0 at x = e. How would you differentiate y = [tex]x^{1/x}[/tex], I can't seem to do it using any of the laws I know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find a function [itex]f(x)[/itex] that let's you rewrite [itex]y=x^{1/x}[/itex] in the form [itex]y=\exp(f(x))[/itex].

I don't see how that works but I'll give it a go.

use the power rule
[u^v]'=v*[u^(v-1)]*u'+[u^v]*[log(u)]*v'

Rather than committing the power rule to memory, I find it much easier to remember a couple simple facts which happen to be of use in a lot of other places,
  1. [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(e^{f(x)}\right) = e^{f(x)}\,f'(x)[/tex]
  2. [tex]f(x) = e^{\ln f(x)}\;\Rightarrow\;u(x)^{v(x)} = e^{v(x)\,\ln u(x)}[/tex]
and thus

[tex]
\aligned
\frac{d}{dx}\left(u(x)^{v(x)}\right)
&= \frac{d}{dx}\left(e^{v(x)\,\ln u(x)}\right) \\
&= e^{v(x)\,\ln u(x)}\frac d {dx}\left(v(x)\,\ln u(x)\right) \\
&= u(x)^{v(x)}\left(v'(x)\,\ln u(x) + \frac{v(x)\,u'(x)}{u(x)}\right)[/tex]

D H said:
Find a function [itex]f(x)[/itex] that let's you rewrite [itex]y=x^{1/x}[/itex] in the form [itex]y=\exp(f(x))[/itex].

Equivalently, if y= x1/x, then ln(y)= (1/x)ln(x). Use "implicit differentiation".

HallsofIvy said:
Equivalently, if y= x1/x, then ln(y)= (1/x)ln(x). Use "implicit differentiation".

or just use it on
y^x=x

D H said:
Rather than committing the power rule to memory, I find it much easier to remember a couple simple facts which happen to be of use in a lot of other places,

How is a less general rule more useful?

The power rule is easy to recall since it follows from other rules
first remember the right hand side
[u^v]'
next use the chain rule (C is a constant)
[u^v]'=[u^C]'|C=v+[C^v]'|C=u
now recall
[x^C]'=C*[x^(C-1)]
or using the chain rule
[u^C]'=C*[u^(C-1)]*u'
and
[C^x]'=[C^x]*log(C)
or using the chain rule
[C^v]'=[C^v]*log(C)*v'
inserting these into
[u^v]'=[u^C]'|C=v+[C^v]'|C=u
yeilds
[u^v]'=C*[u^(C-1)]*u'|C=v+[C^v]'+[C^v]*log(C)*v'|C=u
[u^v]'=v*[u^(v-1)]*u'+[u^v]*log(u)*v'

Related to How do you differentiate x^{1/x} using the power rule and chain rule?

1. What is the formula for the differentiation of x^(1/x)?

The formula for differentiating x^(1/x) is given by [x^(1/x)]' = x^(1/x) * [1/(x^2) - ln(x)/(x^2)].

2. Why is the differentiation of x^(1/x) important?

The differentiation of x^(1/x) is important because it is a fundamental rule in calculus and is used to find the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is also commonly used in solving optimization problems.

3. What is the significance of the derivative of x^(1/x)?

The derivative of x^(1/x) represents the slope of the tangent line to the curve at any given point. This can be used to find the direction of the curve and to determine the concavity of the curve.

4. How do you prove the differentiation of x^(1/x) using the definition of a derivative?

To prove the differentiation of x^(1/x) using the definition of a derivative, we can start by writing x^(1/x) as e^(ln(x)/x). Then, using the definition of a derivative, we can find the limit of [e^(ln(x)/x + h) - e^(ln(x)/x)]/h as h approaches 0. Simplifying this limit will result in the derivative of x^(1/x).

5. Can the differentiation of x^(1/x) be applied to other functions?

Yes, the differentiation of x^(1/x) can be applied to other functions that have a similar form, such as x^(1/n). However, the derivative may be more complicated for other functions and may require various techniques such as logarithmic differentiation.