Finding the function of the cap.

• Thread starter johndoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, a student is trying to find the function for the voltage across a 0.1uF capacitor when the switch in the circuit is closed at t=0. The capacitor is initially charged to 10V. The student's approach is to find the Thevenin equivalent of the circuit, which involves a resistor in parallel with the capacitor. However, there are questions about the accuracy of the values used and the final answer, which does not seem physically possible.
johndoe
3113203781_233b4fbdd4_o.jpg

This is one of the questions I got in my finals, and I couldn't do it back then. I want to find Vc(t) , given the cap is initially charged up to 10V, the switch is then opened. My approach is to find the thevein eq of the circuit, which I would came up with a resistor in parallel with the cap, and then find the function using the expression Vc(t) = final + (initial - final) e^(t/RC).
sounds good?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
johndoe said:
3113203781_233b4fbdd4_o.jpg

This is one of the questions I got in my finals, and I couldn't do it back then. I want to find Vc(t) , given the cap is initially charged up to 10V, the switch is then opened. My approach is to find the thevein eq of the circuit, which I would came up with a resistor in parallel with the cap, and then find the function using the expression Vc(t) = final + (initial - final) e^(t/RC).
sounds good?

After the switch is opened, the cap disappears from the circuit, no?

berkeman said:
After the switch is opened, the cap disappears from the circuit, no?

ops the switch should be opened initially and then closed(drawing error)

What is the source on the right? It can't be a current source of value 5ix, since there is only one ix flowing through the resistor before the switch is closed...

I think you need to re-draw the circuit correctly, and then show us your work on the solution. Then we may be able to offer some help.

Question:
Finding the function of the 0.1uF cap Vc(t) when the switch is closed at t=0 given that the cap is initial charged up to 10V.

3117971925_4c2bc42cf6_o.jpg

ok my attempt at this I find the thevenin eq of the right hand side circuit and come up with :
3117972721_0e2f97c1db_o.jpg

Vc(infinite) = 0, Vc(0)=10 , time constant = RC = 1.67x10^-7

Vc(t) = 0 + ( 10-0) e^(t/(1.67x10^-7 ))

Appreciate if u could have a look at it.

How did you get 1.67 ohms for your thevenin equivalent circuit? I got an indeterminate answer for the thevenin equivalent circuit. You could do it without that. Furthermore, your final answer doesn't make much physical sense; Vc(t) would increase exponentially without limit as time passes.

Defennder said:
How did you get 1.67 ohms for your thevenin equivalent circuit? I got an indeterminate answer for the thevenin equivalent circuit. You could do it without that. Furthermore, your final answer doesn't make much physical sense; Vc(t) would increase exponentially without limit as time passes.

This is what I did :
3120459633_644b262141_o.jpg

I hook up a 1V source and solve for I1 and thus the Rth.

And I left out a - sign in my final answer
Vc(t) = 10e^-t/RC

Related to Finding the function of the cap.

1. What is the function of the cap?

The function of the cap is to provide a protective covering for the object it is placed on, preventing damage and contamination.

2. How do scientists determine the function of a cap?

Scientists typically use a variety of methods such as experiments, observations, and data analysis to determine the function of a cap. They may also consult previous research and literature on similar caps to inform their findings.

3. Can the function of a cap change over time?

Yes, the function of a cap can change over time depending on the changes in its environment or the object it is covering. For example, a cap on a bottle may have a different function when the bottle is empty compared to when it is full.

4. Are there different types of caps with different functions?

Yes, there are various types of caps with different functions. Some common types include screw caps, snap caps, and twist-off caps, each serving a specific purpose and used for different objects.

5. What are some potential future functions for caps?

As technology and materials advance, there may be potential for caps to have new functions such as temperature regulation, light-blocking, or even data recording capabilities. Scientists continue to research and develop innovative cap designs for various purposes.