Question about neutron cross sections

In summary: On the NNDC plot, you find rather 30.14 barn at 0.0253 eV.I have to say that I'm puzzled too as to why there is this difference.
BobGom
I am looking for thermal neutron scattering cross sections (0.025eV) for individual isotopes, having found non isotopic data for most elements in a textbook. The most comprehensive cross section database appears to be http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/index.jsp?as=238&lib=endfb7.0&nsub=10". Unfortunately I am unable to identify which plots if any could give me the scattering cross section.

Presumably all (n,elastic) collisions must be scattering but n(inelastic) could either be a scattering or absorption event. When the scattering cross section is usually quoted (as typically in textbooks) does that usually include elastic and inelastic collisions? Am I also correct in thinking that neutron scattering data will generally be poor for isotopes with very high absorption cross sections such as boron-10?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks.

I'm assuming the desired quantity from the site above is the total bound scattering cross section. The value for hydrogen quoted above is 82.02b and appears to be taken from a 1992 publication. However two textbooks (one from 1977, one from 1994) both put the thermal value for hydrogen at 38b. It seems unlikely there would be such a large discrepancy between values of the same parameter.

The link above does not give the neutron energy for the scattering cross sections but I believe that unless there any resonances, it should be lower at higher energies. Indeed the 'epithermal scattering cross section' of hydrogen is given at 20b.

BobGom said:
Thanks.

I'm assuming the desired quantity from the site above is the total bound scattering cross section. The value for hydrogen quoted above is 82.02b and appears to be taken from a 1992 publication. However two textbooks (one from 1977, one from 1994) both put the thermal value for hydrogen at 38b. It seems unlikely there would be such a large discrepancy between values of the same parameter.

The link above does not give the neutron energy for the scattering cross sections but I believe that unless there any resonances, it should be lower at higher energies. Indeed the 'epithermal scattering cross section' of hydrogen is given at 20b.

Normally, these values are given for 2200 m/s ("thermal" neutrons).

You're right. On the NNDC plot, you find rather 30.14 barn at 0.0253 eV.
I have to say that I'm puzzled too as to why there is this difference.

Ah ok. Do you know whether or not when the scattering cross section is normally quoted, is that the elastic scattering cross section or does it include inelastic scattering events aswell?

BobGom said:
Ah ok. Do you know whether or not when the scattering cross section is normally quoted, is that the elastic scattering cross section or does it include inelastic scattering events aswell?

At low (thermal) energies, I don't think there are inelastic scattering events.

BTW, don't confuse "inelastic" scattering and "incoherent" scattering.

vanesch said:
Normally, these values are given for 2200 m/s ("thermal" neutrons).

You're right. On the NNDC plot, you find rather 30.14 barn at 0.0253 eV.
I have to say that I'm puzzled too as to why there is this difference.

Also curiously looking at the http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/getInterpreted.jsp?evalid=4208&mf=3&mt=2" for hydrogen, the data point for 0.0253eV has a cross section of 20.44b with all the low energy cross sections being in this area. However it appears to be 30.14b in the plot. There is an explanation on the site

why the cross sections from the "interpreted" table are different from those in the plot. Cross section data is kept in 2 sections of the ENDF file, one contains resonance parameters and the other non-resonant cross section at a temperature of 0 Kelvins. The plot shows reconstructed cross sections, that is combining the results of those 2 sections, and then doppler-broadened, at a temperature of 300 Kelvins. The rise of the cross section at the lower energy end is due to the doppler broadening. This rise disappears as one decreases the temperature.
Hope this helps, if not, let me know.

Presumably tabulated values are usually quoted without doppler broadening?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a neutron cross section?

A neutron cross section is a measure of the probability of a neutron interacting with an atomic nucleus. It represents the effective area of a target nucleus for a neutron to interact with.

2. How is the neutron cross section measured?

The neutron cross section is typically measured using a neutron beam directed at a target material. The number of neutrons that interact with the target is counted and compared to the total number of neutrons in the beam, giving the cross section in units of barns (1 barn = 10^-28 square meters).

3. What factors affect the neutron cross section?

The neutron cross section is affected by the energy of the neutron, the type of target nucleus, and the angle at which the neutron approaches the nucleus. It can also be influenced by the presence of other particles, such as protons or electrons, in the nucleus.

4. Why is the neutron cross section important?

The neutron cross section is a critical parameter in many fields, including nuclear physics, nuclear engineering, and astrophysics. It is used to calculate the probability of neutron interactions in various materials, which is essential for understanding nuclear reactions, radiation shielding, and nuclear power generation.

5. How does the neutron cross section differ for different materials?

The neutron cross section varies greatly depending on the target material. For example, the cross section for hydrogen is much larger than that for heavier elements like lead. Additionally, the cross section can change depending on the energy of the neutron and the type of interaction (e.g. scattering vs absorption).