Total Momentum Operator for Free Scalar Field

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the goal is to show that the equation \mathbf{P} = -\int d^{3}x}\pi(x)\nabla\phi(x) = \int{\frac{d^{3}p}{(2\pi)^3}\mathbf{p}a_{p}^{\dagger}a_p for the KG field is true. The conversation goes on to discuss how to approach solving this problem and suggests calculating \nabla\phi to simplify the equation. The speaker then provides a solution to the problem, using substitution and integration to eliminate cross terms and arrive at the desired result.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I want to show that
[tex]\mathbf{P} = -\int d^{3}x}\pi(x)\nabla\phi(x) = \int{\frac{d^{3}p}{(2\pi)^3}\mathbf{p}a_{p}^{\dagger}a_p[/tex]

for the KG field.

Homework Equations

[tex]\phi(x) = \int{\frac{d^{3}p}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\omega_p}}(a_p + a_{-p}^{\dagger})e^{ipx}[/tex]

[tex]\pi(x) = -i\int{\frac{d^{3}p}{(2\pi)^3}\sqrt{\frac{\omega_k}{2}}(a_p - a_{-p}^{\dagger})e^{ipx}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble seeing why this is true. What happens to the [itex]a_pa_k[/tex] and [itex]a_p^{\dagger}a_k^{\dagger}[/itex]-like cross terms?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd write [itex]\pi(x)[/itex] and [itex]\phi(x)[/itex] as

[tex]\pi(\textbf{x}) = -i\int{\frac{d^{3}\textbf{p}'}{(2\pi)^3}\sqrt{\frac{\omega_{p'}} {2}}(a_{\textbf{p}'} - a_{-\textbf{p}'}^{\dagger})e^{i\textbf{p}'\cdot\textbf{x}}[/tex]

[tex]\phi(\textbf{x}) = \int{\frac{d^{3}\textbf{p}}{(2\pi)^3}\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\omega_{\textbf{p}}}}(a_{\textbf{p}} + a_{-\textbf{p}}^{\dagger})e^{i\textbf{p}\cdot\textbf{x}}[/tex]

Then just calculate [itex]\mathbf{\nabla}\phi[/itex], substitute everything in and do the integration over [itex]\textbf{x}[/itex] first. You should get something with a delta function like [itex]\delta^3(\textbf{p}+\textbf{p}')[/itex], which allows you to get rid of all the [tex]a_{\textbf{p}}a^{\dagger}_{-\textbf{p}'}[/itex]-like cross terms just by integrating over [itex]\textbf{p}'[/itex].

1. What is the total momentum operator for a free scalar field?

The total momentum operator for a free scalar field is a mathematical operator that represents the total momentum of a system of particles in quantum field theory. It is used to calculate the total momentum of a system in terms of the creation and annihilation operators of the field.

2. How is the total momentum operator defined mathematically?

The total momentum operator is defined as the integral of the energy-momentum tensor over all space. In mathematical terms, it can be written as:
Pμ = ∫Tμν(x) d3x

3. What is the physical significance of the total momentum operator?

The total momentum operator is a fundamental quantity in quantum field theory that describes the momentum of a system of particles. It is used to calculate the total momentum of a system and can be used to determine the dynamics of the system.

4. How is the total momentum operator related to the Hamiltonian operator?

The total momentum operator and the Hamiltonian operator are related through the Heisenberg equations of motion. They are both conserved quantities, meaning that their values do not change over time. In other words, the total momentum operator and the Hamiltonian operator are related through the principle of conservation of energy and momentum.

5. Can the total momentum operator be measured experimentally?

No, the total momentum operator cannot be measured directly in experiments. It is a theoretical construct that is used to describe the momentum of a system in quantum field theory. However, the effects of the total momentum operator can be observed and measured through other physical quantities, such as the energy or position of particles.