Chem lab, titration neutralization

In summary, when conducting a titration, it is necessary to dissolve the solid KHP in water in order to increase the rate of diffusion and make the process more efficient. Additionally, swirling the titration flask is important to ensure that the solutions are thoroughly mixed and to aid in the reaction process. It is also important to use an acid-base indicator to accurately determine the endpoint of the titration.
sportsstar469
ok i am doing my lab report ow, and i am compeltely lost with some of these questions. it was a titration neutralization lab can get some help?

1- why is it necessary to dissolve the khp in water?
2- why is necessary to swirl the flask during the titration?

i think the second one is so the khp dissolves and mixes fully, but that seems to easy. i don't know the first one at all though. thanks for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org

Titrations are a form of aqueous reaction. I'm sure you remember that dissolving a solid (KHP) in a liquid (whatever you're titrating) has a much slower diffusion rate than two aqueous solutions. Depending on what level of chemistry you're taking, this should probably give you your answer.

Your second answer, as far as I can tell, is correct.

sportsstar469,

What confuses you about the two titration questions? For #1, imagine trying to do a titration without dissolving the KHP. Do you believe this might be an inefficient way to conduct a titration? Can you imagine why? Do you want this analyte dissolved, or in mostly one solid clump? For #2, do you expect the solutions in the titration flask to mix on their own effort? Think about the practical nature of these mechanics. Dripping the titrant into the flask is only enough for the titrant to find initial settlement in one location and then will diffuse on its own. Think why this is not good enough!

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually when doing titrations of that nature, an acid-base indicator is used in the lab, such as phenolphthalein. To answer your #2 question, I would take a look at your procedure info to see if you need an acid-base indicator and to think why swirling the flask would be important.

1. What is a chem lab?

A chem lab, short for chemistry laboratory, is a controlled setting where experiments and tests related to chemistry are conducted. It is where scientists and students can gain hands-on experience with chemical reactions and learn about various chemical principles.

2. What is titration in chemistry?

Titration is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. It involves adding a known amount of a solution with a known concentration to a solution with an unknown concentration until the reaction is completed.

3. What is neutralization in chemistry?

Neutralization is a chemical reaction between an acid and a base, resulting in the formation of a salt and water. This reaction is used to balance the pH of a solution, making it less acidic or basic.

4. How is titration used in neutralization?

In a titration neutralization, a known concentration of an acid is added to a solution containing a known concentration of a base. The reaction between the two substances is monitored until the solution reaches a neutral pH, indicating that the acid and base have completely reacted with each other.

5. What are some common indicators used in titration neutralization?

Some common indicators used in titration neutralization include litmus paper, phenolphthalein, and methyl orange. These substances change color at specific pH levels, allowing scientists to determine when the solution has reached a neutral pH and the reaction is complete.