Specific charge calculation help

In summary, we have a copper atom (mass number = 63, atomic number = 29) that loses 2 electrons to form an ion. To calculate the specific charge of this ion, we use the equation specific charge = charge/mass. Plugging in the values, we get a specific charge of 3.04x10^6 C/kg. The user initially obtained a different value, but with clarification, was able to calculate the correct specific charge.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

a cu atom (mass number, 63;atomic number, 29) loses 2 electrons formed. for the ion formed calculate its specific charge in c\kg

Homework Equations

specific charge=charge\mass

The Attempt at a Solution

ss
specific charge = (29x1.6x10-19)/(63x1.67x10-27)

i am obtaining 4.41x10^7 while the answer is 3.04x10^6.

please help.

thanks
ben

Physics news on Phys.org
Net charge on the atom is + 2e.

rl.bhat said:
Net charge on the atom is + 2e.

thanks for your propmt reply. that means my charge will be 3.2x10^-19. however, how do i calculate my mass?

cheers

Your mass in the solution is correct.

rl.bhat said:
Your mass in the solution is correct.

thanks a lot.

regards
ben

hey I am new to this site so i really have no idea how this works but I am trying to calculate specific charge as well.. but i still don't understand TT___TT...
please help me :(

lillost said:
hey I am new to this site so i really have no idea how this works but I am trying to calculate specific charge as well.. but i still don't understand TT___TT...
please help me :(
Hi lillost, welcome to PF.
Specific charge means charge per unit mass, (e/
Two electrons are removed from the copper atom, So the net charge Q on it is 2*1.6*10^-19 C.
Mass of the copper atom is (63x1.67x10-27)kg.
Now fine the specific charge on copper.

aww thank you! ^___^
I'll kinda write down what I am doing and then could you just tell me where i go wrong please?
so then 2 elctrons have the charge : 2(1.60x10-19)
Mass of 63Cu: 63(1.67x10-27)
and specific charge is: charge/mass
so we would have: 2(1.60x10-19)/63(1.67x10-27)
= 3.2x10-19/ 1.0521x10-25
= 3041535.976
= 3.04x10*6?
is that right?? I am soo confused! >____<

Your answer is correct.

aw thank you very much!
i went through it with my teacher today, i get it now...
ahh took me long enough...=__=
thanks again :D

1. What is specific charge?

Specific charge refers to the ratio of an object's charge to its mass. It is commonly used in physics and is measured in coulombs per kilogram (C/kg).

2. How is specific charge calculated?

To calculate specific charge, you need to know the object's charge in coulombs (C) and its mass in kilograms (kg). Then, divide the charge by the mass to get the specific charge in C/kg.

3. Why is specific charge important?

Specific charge is important because it helps us understand the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields. It also allows us to compare the charges of different objects regardless of their mass.

4. What are some examples of specific charge?

Some examples of specific charge include the specific charge of an electron, which is approximately -1.76 x 10^11 C/kg, and the specific charge of a proton, which is approximately 9.58 x 10^7 C/kg.

5. How is specific charge used in practical applications?

Specific charge is used in a variety of practical applications, such as designing particle accelerators and determining the charge-to-mass ratio of ions in mass spectrometry. It is also useful in medical imaging techniques like PET scans.