Expression a vector in different basis

In summary, the problem involves expressing a given vector A in terms of Cartesian, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates for different origins. The transformation equations for converting between these coordinate systems are used to find the appropriate linear combinations of the coordinate unit vectors to express A in each system. Care must be taken when the origin is changed, as the direction of the unit vectors may also change.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider the vector [tex]\vec A[/tex] whose origin is [tex]\vec r[/tex].
1)Express the vector [tex]\vec A[/tex] in a basis of Cartesian coordinates, cylindrical and spherical ones.
2)Repeat part 1) if the origin is [tex]\vec r[/tex] + [tex]\vec r_0[/tex].

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

1)In Cartesian coordinates, [tex]\vec A=(r_x+a_x,r_y+a_y, r_z+a_z)[/tex]. If we change the origin as in part 2), then [tex]\vec A=(r_x+r_{0x}+a_x,r_y+r_{0y}+a_y, r_z+r_{0z}+a_z)[/tex].

For cylindrical coordinates, I've sketched a 3 dimensional graphic but I don't see how I can express [tex]\vec A[/tex]. Life would be easier if I could use some linear algebra maybe. I just don't know how to start and if it's a good idea.
Thanks for any suggestion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Going from cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordinates, we can use the transformations [tex] x = r \cos(\theta) [/tex], [tex] y = r \sin(\theta) [/tex], and, of course, [tex] z = z_{\text{cyl}}[/tex].

Now, going from cartesian to cylindrical isn't as obvious, but is still simple. For example, the radius, r, is simply [tex] r = \sqrt{x^2 +y^2} [/tex].

This might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindrical_coordinate_system#Cartesian_coordinates"

Last edited by a moderator:
hbweb500 said:
Going from cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordinates, we can use the transformations [tex] x = r \cos(\theta) [/tex], [tex] y = r \sin(\theta) [/tex], and, of course, [tex] z = z_{\text{cyl}}[/tex].

Now, going from cartesian to cylindrical isn't as obvious, but is still simple. For example, the radius, r, is simply [tex] r = \sqrt{x^2 +y^2} [/tex].

This might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindrical_coordinate_system#Cartesian_coordinates"

I think I'm stupid, I already knew this. I don't know why I didn't think about applying it. I'm going to try this tomorrow (it's too late). So what I've done so far is ok?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, you've misunderstood the question. The vector A is assigned to the point r. The problem is asking you to express A in terms of the coordinate unit vectors at that point, and when it's parallel transported it to the point r+r0.

Remember that the direction of most of the unit vectors, like [itex]\hat{r}[/itex], depends on what point you're talking about.

vela said:
No, you've misunderstood the question. The vector A is assigned to the point r. The problem is asking you to express A in terms of the coordinate unit vectors at that point, and when it's parallel transported it to the point r+r0.

Remember that the direction of most of the unit vectors, like [itex]\hat{r}[/itex], depends on what point you're talking about.

I'm not sure I'm understanding. I've sketched the point r and from it I drew [tex]\vec A[/tex]. I mean, I took the origin of [tex]\vec A[/tex] being r.
At point r, the unit vectors in Cartesian coordinates are the same as in the origin 0. Or not? I mean [tex]\hat i[/tex], [tex]\hat j[/tex] and [tex]\hat k[/tex]. So [tex]\vec A[/tex] would be [tex]a_x \hat i + a_y \hat j + a_z \hat k[/tex]. Hmm I don't think so...
Also, I don't understand when you talked about "when it's parallel transported it to the point...".

In fact I don't understand what they ask me to do. It doesn't look so hard, but I don't know what to do.

fluidistic said:
I'm not sure I'm understanding. I've sketched the point r and from it I drew [tex]\vec A[/tex]. I mean, I took the origin of [tex]\vec A[/tex] being r.
At point r, the unit vectors in Cartesian coordinates are the same as in the origin 0. Or not? I mean [tex]\hat i[/tex], [tex]\hat j[/tex] and [tex]\hat k[/tex]. So [tex]\vec A[/tex] would be [tex]a_x \hat i + a_y \hat j + a_z \hat k[/tex]. Hmm I don't think so...
That's right, actually.
Also, I don't understand when you talked about "when it's parallel transported it to the point...".
I just mean the vector A is moved to the new point without changing its magnitude and direction.
In fact I don't understand what they ask me to do. It doesn't look so hard, but I don't know what to do.
It's probably easiest to explain using an example. I'll just use R2 to keep it simple. Let A=(1,0). Now consider the points P=(1,1) and Q=(2,0) in the xy plane; in polar coordinates, you'd have rP=sqrt(2), θP=π/4 for P and rQ=2, θQ=0 for Q. Therefore, at P, you get:

[tex]\hat{r}_P=(\cos\theta_P,\sin\theta_P)=\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\hat{\theta}_P=(-\cos\theta_P,\sin\theta_P)=\left(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{A}=1\hat{i}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\hat{r}_P-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\hat{\theta}_P[/tex]

and at Q, you get:

[tex]\hat{r}_Q=(\cos\theta_Q,\sin\theta_Q)=(1,0)[/tex]

[tex]\hat{\theta}_Q=(-\cos\theta_Q,\sin\theta_Q)=(0,1)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{A}=1\hat{i}=1\hat{r}_Q[/tex]

vela said:
That's right, actually.

I just mean the vector A is moved to the new point without changing its magnitude and direction.

It's probably easiest to explain using an example. I'll just use R2 to keep it simple. Let A=(1,0). Now consider the points P=(1,1) and Q=(2,0) in the xy plane; in polar coordinates, you'd have rP=sqrt(2), θP=π/4 for P and rQ=2, θQ=0 for Q. Therefore, at P, you get:

[tex]\hat{r}_P=(\cos\theta_P,\sin\theta_P)=\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\hat{\theta}_P=(-\cos\theta_P,\sin\theta_P)=\left(-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{A}=1\hat{i}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\hat{r}_P-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\hat{\theta}_P[/tex]

and at Q, you get:

[tex]\hat{r}_Q=(\cos\theta_Q,\sin\theta_Q)=(1,0)[/tex]

[tex]\hat{\theta}_Q=(-\cos\theta_Q,\sin\theta_Q)=(0,1)[/tex]

[tex]\vec{A}=1\hat{i}=1\hat{r}_Q[/tex]
Thanks, this was really useful!

I'm having a problem. So in Cartesian coordinates, we've said that [tex]a_x \hat i + a_y \hat j + a_z \hat k[/tex]. Now I want to do cylindrical ones.
I've sketched the vector r. Considering only the x-y plane, I have that [tex]\hat r =(\cos \varphi, \sin \varphi)[/tex] and [tex]\hat \phi=(-\cos \varphi, \sin \varphi)[/tex]. Now I must write [tex]\vec A[/tex] as a linear combination of [tex]\hat r[/tex] and [tex]\hat \varphi[/tex].
I already know that [tex]a_z=a_z \hat k[/tex]. It's clear that [tex]a_x[/tex] can be written as a (linear ?) combination of only [tex]\hat r[/tex] and [tex]\hat \varphi[/tex]. To me it's clear it will be something of the form [tex]B\hat r - B\hat \phi[/tex]. Is B worth [tex]\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi}[/tex]?
If so, then I'd get [tex]\vec A=\left ( \frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} \hat r-\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} \hat \varphi, \frac{a_y}{2\sin \varphi} \hat \varphi +\frac{a_y}{2 \sin \varphi} \hat r, a_z \hat k \right )[/tex]. I'd appreciate a feedback. I'm not confident at all.

Looks good except for the way you wrote some stuff down.
fluidistic said:
If so, then I'd get [tex]\vec A=\left ( \frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} \hat r-\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} \hat \varphi, \frac{a_y}{2\sin \varphi} \hat \varphi +\frac{a_y}{2 \sin \varphi} \hat r, a_z \hat k \right )[/tex]. I'd appreciate a feedback. I'm not confident at all.
You're mixing up the notation. If you include the unit vectors explicitly, you should write it as a sum:

[tex]\vec A=\left(\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} \hat r-\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} \hat \varphi\right)+\left(\frac{a_y}{2\sin \varphi} \hat \varphi +\frac{a_y}{2 \sin \varphi} \hat r\right)+ a_z \hat k[/tex]

After combining terms, you get

[tex]\vec A=\left(\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} + \frac{a_y}{2 \sin \varphi}\right) \hat r+\left(-\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi}+\frac{a_y}{2\sin \varphi}\right) \hat \varphi + a_z \hat k[/tex]

Now if you write it as an ordered triplet [itex](r,\varphi,z)[/itex], you'd say:

[tex]\vec A=\left(\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi} + \frac{a_y}{2 \sin \varphi},-\frac{a_x}{2 \cos \varphi}+\frac{a_y}{2\sin \varphi}, a_z \right)[/tex]

Ah yes, you're right. I can't believe I got it right. I'm going to tackle the rest. Thanks a lot for all.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical object that represents a quantity with both magnitude and direction. It is often depicted as an arrow pointing in a specific direction, with its length representing the magnitude of the quantity.

2. What is a basis?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent any vector in a given vector space. It is often used as a reference point for expressing other vectors.

3. Why do we need to express a vector in different basis?

Expressing a vector in different basis can be useful in simplifying calculations and understanding geometric relationships between vectors. It also allows for the comparison and transformation of vectors between different coordinate systems.

4. How do you express a vector in a different basis?

To express a vector in a different basis, you would first need to find the coordinates of the vector in the new basis. This can be done by solving a system of equations using the transformation matrix from the original basis to the new basis.

5. What is a transformation matrix?

A transformation matrix is a square matrix that is used to represent the linear transformation from one basis to another. It contains the coefficients that relate the coordinates of a vector in the original basis to the coordinates in the new basis.