Bhabha Scattering: Relative Sign Difference & Fermi Statistics

• Thread starter guestspeaker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scattering
In summary, the conversation discusses the reason for the relative sign difference between two diagrams for Bhabha scattering, which involves Fermi statistics and Wick contractions. The discussion also mentions a similar example in Yukawa theory and the importance of considering fermion loops in the calculation. The conversation concludes with a warm welcome to the Physics Forums community.
guestspeaker
I cannot figure out why there is a relative sign difference between the two diagrams for bhabha scattering. Fermi statistics is at play here but I don't see how that affects the relative sign between 2 different diagrams...

Physics news on Phys.org
Work through the Wick contractions carefully. If you have a copy of Peskin and Schroeder handy, in section 4.7 they do exactly this for an example in Yukawa theory that is similar to Bhabha scattering.

The example in P&S is with t- and u-channel diagrams, for which the negative sign can come from a "heuristic" argument of antisymmetrization of the final states.

But for Bhabha scattering, the diagrams are s- and t-channel... is there a similar heuristic argument without resorting to the Wick contractions?

I thought you wanted to understand where the heuristic argument involving Fermi statistics came from. The diagrams are simply shorthand for the processes, including the Wick contractions; "resorting" to the latter is necessary to understand the former.

Besides, it's a pretty trivial calculation; it took me three lines to check the signs of the Bhabha diagrams, and should only have taken two.

okay okay :) I was hoping for something immediately obvious from just the diagrams (like the -1 for fermion loop etc.)

guestspeaker said:
okay okay :) I was hoping for something immediately obvious from just the diagrams (like the -1 for fermion loop etc.)

I was wondering whether to mention the fermion loop, because its (-1) factor also comes from anticommuting the fermion operators to untangle the contractions! It's not something that I can derive from the diagram in isolation (without reference to the Feynman rules), it's just so trivial a calculation that it's easy to remember how it goes.PS. Where are my manners? Welcome to Physics Forums! Hope you stick around.

the relative minus sign comes from the fact that you must reorder your fermion operators relative the different diagrams when you make the contraction.

1. What is Bhabha scattering?

Bhabha scattering is a type of scattering process that occurs when an electron and a positron interact with each other. It is named after Indian physicist Homi J. Bhabha, who first proposed the theory behind this process in 1935.

2. What is the relative sign difference in Bhabha scattering?

The relative sign difference in Bhabha scattering refers to the fact that the scattering amplitude for an electron and a positron approaching each other with opposite helicities (spin orientations) is different from the amplitude for them approaching with the same helicities. This relative sign difference is a result of the underlying quantum mechanical principles governing the interaction.

3. How is Bhabha scattering related to Fermi statistics?

Bhabha scattering is related to Fermi statistics because both concepts involve the behavior of subatomic particles. Fermi statistics is a branch of quantum mechanics that describes the behavior of particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons and positrons. Bhabha scattering is a process that involves these types of particles, and its behavior is governed by Fermi statistics.

4. What are some practical applications of Bhabha scattering?

Bhabha scattering has several practical applications in the field of high energy physics. It is used to study the properties of subatomic particles, such as the electron and positron, and their interactions. It is also used in particle accelerators to generate high-energy beams of electrons and positrons for further research.

5. How does Bhabha scattering contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Bhabha scattering plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe by helping us study the fundamental building blocks of matter and their interactions. By studying the behavior of particles in Bhabha scattering, scientists can gain insights into the structure and properties of matter at a microscopic level, which ultimately contributes to our understanding of the universe as a whole.