Magnetic Field of Rotating Cylinder w/ Linear Polarization

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the magnetic vector potential (A) and magnetic field (B) in a situation where they don't know the equations relating the bound charges and the angular velocity.
thatmaceguy

Homework Statement

Long dielectric cylinder of radius R carries a built-in electrostatic polarization P
that is linearly proportional to the distance to the axis, P=[tex]\alpha[/tex]r, P is directed along
the radius-vector r. Cylinder is being rotated around the axis with angular velocity
[tex]\omega[/tex]. Find the magnetic field B on axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Conceptually I think I understand the problem, I'm just having a hard time (as usual) setting up the math.

Basically, I should be able to solve for the bound surface and volume charge, then find the bound surface and volume current from those bound charges and the angular velocity. After that I think I should able to find the magnetic vector potential (A) and finally B since it is equal to the curl of A.

I've been referencing Example 5.11 and problem 5.13 and from Griffiths but as I've implied, I have a really hard time assembling the actual math.

Thanks for any help/guidance you can give.

Physics news on Phys.org

thatmaceguy said:
Basically, I should be able to solve for the bound surface and volume charge, then find the bound surface and volume current from those bound charges and the angular velocity. After that I think I should able to find the magnetic vector potential (A) and finally B since it is equal to the curl of A.

That sound like as good a plan as any...start with the bound surface and volume charges. What are the equations relating them to the polarization? Calculate them from those equations (show your steps if you get stuck!).

Hmm, yeah I meant to include that I had already done that in the original post. My apologies.

Here's what I have for that.

Surface Bound Charge = [tex]\alpha[/tex]R (Alpha x R)

Volume Bound Charge = -2[tex]\alpha[/tex] (-2 x Alpha)

(sorry, not terribly familiar with latex)

I am not certain though how to move forward from here.

thatmaceguy said:
Hmm, yeah I meant to include that I had already done that in the original post. My apologies.

Here's what I have for that.

Surface Bound Charge = [tex]\alpha[/tex]R (Alpha x R)

Volume Bound Charge = -2[tex]\alpha[/tex] (-2 x Alpha)

Good.

I am not certain though how to move forward from here.

Now you want to calulate the volume and surface current densities... [itex]\textbf{J}_b=\rho_b\textbf{v}(\textbf{r})[/itex] and [itex]\textbf{K}_b=\sigma_b\textbf{v}(\textbf{r})[/itex]...so, what is the velocity of any given point in the cylinder if it is rotating with angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex]?

I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller steps and using known equations to solve for the magnetic field. First, you can use the given information to calculate the bound surface and volume charge, as well as the bound surface and volume current. Then, using the equation for the magnetic vector potential (A), you can solve for A. Finally, taking the curl of A will give you the magnetic field B. It may also be helpful to reference examples and problems from textbooks or online resources, and to seek guidance from a professor or colleague if needed.

1. What is the concept of magnetic field of rotating cylinder with linear polarization?

The magnetic field of a rotating cylinder with linear polarization refers to the phenomenon where a magnetic field is generated when a cylindrical object is rotated and has a linearly polarized electric field. This occurs due to the interaction between the electric and magnetic fields, resulting in the creation of a magnetic field.

2. How is the magnetic field of a rotating cylinder with linear polarization calculated?

The magnetic field of a rotating cylinder with linear polarization can be calculated using the formula B = μ0ωR2/2, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, ω is the angular velocity of the cylinder, and R is the radius of the cylinder.

3. What is the significance of the magnetic field of a rotating cylinder with linear polarization?

The magnetic field of a rotating cylinder with linear polarization has various practical applications in fields such as electromagnetism, physics, and engineering. It is used in devices such as electric motors, generators, and transformers.

4. How does the magnetic field of a rotating cylinder with linear polarization affect the behavior of charged particles?

The magnetic field of a rotating cylinder with linear polarization can cause charged particles to experience a force, known as the Lorentz force, which can alter their trajectory or movement. This effect is utilized in particle accelerators and other devices for controlling the motion of charged particles.

5. Can the magnetic field of a rotating cylinder with linear polarization be changed or manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field of a rotating cylinder with linear polarization can be changed by altering the rotation speed, radius of the cylinder, or the linear polarization of the electric field. Additionally, external magnetic fields can also influence the behavior of the magnetic field of the rotating cylinder.