How hard is it to be an engineer and pure mathematician?

In summary, it is possible for an engineer with a PhD to learn pure mathematics in depth and use it in engineering, and vice versa. Examples of people who have achieved this include Henri Poincare, Isaac Newton, and Paul Dirac. While the direct application of pure math in engineering may be limited, the different perspectives and problem-solving skills gained from studying both fields can be complementary and beneficial. However, the amount of time and effort put into learning both fields must be carefully considered.
Useful nucleus
I was wondering whether it is possible for an engineer with a PhD to learn pure mathematcis in depth to a level that enables him/her to use some ideas or line of thinking from pure mathematics into engineering and vice versa (if the vice versa is actually possible). Or is it completely impossible to achieve this?
If you think it is possible, are there examples of people who actually did this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Useful nucleus said:
I was wondering whether it is possible for an engineer with a PhD to learn pure mathematcis in depth to a level that enables him/her to use some ideas or line of thinking from pure mathematics into engineering and vice versa (if the vice versa is actually possible). Or is it completely impossible to achieve this?
If you think it is possible, are there examples of people who actually did this?

One example that sticks out is Henri Poincare. He was a mathematician who also obtained his engineering accreditation.

Isaac Newton did a lot of physical scientific investigation although I wouldn't call him an "engineer" per se.

Also Dirac was trained as an electrical engineer and ended up being a great theoretical physicist.

Having all of the different perspectives that the engineering and sciences have would be pretty beneficial: for example engineers have to very precise and can't rely on "untested assumptions" that mathematicians do, but with a mathematical mindset you can understand the most abstract mode of thinking and classifying, so you would seem to get not only views about the very broad and general, but also you'd get the perspective of being exposed to the specifics of practical "real problems".

The combination of these two in my mind would make a very powerful and complementary skill set.

The fact that there are examples of people who were both isn't necessarily related to your first question. Yes Dirac studied EE and then ended up as a great physicist. But did he really care all that much about engineering once he made tremendous contributions to physics? I would remain dubious at best. Conversely, there is no reason to believe that Dirac's extraordinary vision underlying his theory was somehow influenced by the education he received as an electrical engineer.

snipez90 said:
The fact that there are examples of people who were both isn't necessarily related to your first question. Yes Dirac studied EE and then ended up as a great physicist. But did he really care all that much about engineering once he made tremendous contributions to physics? I would remain dubious at best. Conversely, there is no reason to believe that Dirac's extraordinary vision underlying his theory was somehow influenced by the education he received as an electrical engineer.

I tend to agree with you about Dirac, but Poincare actually did work in both fields (ie not just study but contribute) and the OP did ask for examples in the last part of their question.

I'm not an expert, but I do know a bit about EE and pure mathematics. It seems to me that pure mathematics, some disciplines at least, hardly have any application in physics let alone the application of physics (that is, engineering). Of course you could argue that the training and thought-process required to solve pure mathematics problems can help you in solving problems in electrical engineering, but I see no way it can make much difference directly.

Good read mathwonk, thanks.

hadsed said:
I'm not an expert, but I do know a bit about EE and pure mathematics. It seems to me that pure mathematics, some disciplines at least, hardly have any application in physics let alone the application of physics (that is, engineering). Of course you could argue that the training and thought-process required to solve pure mathematics problems can help you in solving problems in electrical engineering, but I see no way it can make much difference directly.

I agree, I don't think it will help greatly in a direct way but I'm sure it will be helpful in indirect and hard to anticipate ways, for example when you work on an engineering problem you might find analogies or problems with similar structures in pure mathematics that will help if you get stuck.
knowledge in different but related fields is undoubtedly an advantage but the important questions are how much time is it worth, if you're interested in both fields, or you are already in one field and would like to move into the other...

Pure math won't help much in terms of application. Applied math would.

1. Is it difficult to balance the workload of being an engineer and a pure mathematician?

Yes, it can be challenging to balance the demands of both fields. Engineers typically have a heavy workload with practical projects and deadlines, while pure mathematicians focus on theoretical concepts and proofs. However, with good time management and a strong work ethic, it is possible to excel in both areas.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in both math and engineering to pursue this career path?

Yes, a solid foundation in both math and engineering is necessary to succeed in this career. While engineers use math extensively in their work, pure mathematicians have a deep understanding of advanced mathematical concepts that can greatly benefit engineering projects. It is important to have a strong understanding of both fields to excel in this career path.

3. Are there any specific skills or qualities that are essential for being an engineer and pure mathematician?

Some essential skills and qualities for this career path include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and strong analytical skills. Additionally, having a strong background in mathematics and a passion for both fields is crucial for success.

4. Can I pursue a career as an engineer and pure mathematician simultaneously?

Yes, it is possible to have a career that combines both engineering and pure mathematics. Many industries, such as aerospace and technology, require individuals with expertise in both areas to solve complex problems and innovate. It may involve balancing multiple projects and responsibilities, but it can be a rewarding and fulfilling career path.

5. What job opportunities are available for someone with a background in both engineering and pure mathematics?

There are various job opportunities for individuals with expertise in both engineering and pure mathematics. Some common career paths include working as a research engineer, data scientist, financial analyst, or academic researcher. Many industries, such as technology, finance, and research, value individuals with a strong background in both fields.