Solving Binomial Theorem Problems

In summary, the conversation covers two math problems involving the expansion of binomials. The first problem requires finding the values of m and n when given the numerical coefficients of the second and third terms. The second problem involves determining the values of a and n when given the first three terms of the expansion. Both problems can be solved by setting the given terms equal to the corresponding terms in the expansion and solving the resulting system of equations. The solutions are m = 2, n = -0.6 for the first problem and n = 9, a = -2 for the second problem.
nobb
Hey.
I am having difficultly with two math problems:

1. In the expansion of (mx+n)^5 the numerical coefficient of the second term is -48 and of the third term if 28.8 Find the values of m and n.

2. The first three terms in the expansion of (1+a)^n are 1-18+144. Determine the values of a and n

Could someone please explain to me how to do these? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried these? Please show us your work/reasoning.

Consider that:
[tex](a+b)^{n}=\sum_{r=0}^{n}{\left(\begin{array}{1}n\\r\end{array}\right)}a^{n-r}b^r[/tex]

I've expanded it so that term two is equal to 5(m^4)(x^4)n. Term three is equal to 5(m^3)(x^3)(n^2). Now I am stuck and I do not know what to do with the coefficients.

Your third term is not correct.

Once you have the terms, you simply set the second term equal to the value you were given for the second term, and set the third term equal to the value you were given for the third term. This gives you a system of two equations in two variables, so you may solve it.

Your second problem works exactly the same way.

--J

is the answer to the first question:
m = 2
n = -0.6

and is the answer to the second question:

n = 9
a = -2?

What is the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is a formula used to expand a binomial expression raised to a certain power. It states that (a + b)^n = Σ(n, k=0) (n choose k) a^(n-k) b^k, where n is the power and a and b are the two terms of the binomial expression.

How do you use the binomial theorem to expand a binomial expression?

To use the binomial theorem, you first need to identify the power (n) and the two terms of the binomial expression (a and b). Then, plug those values into the formula (a + b)^n = Σ(n, k=0) (n choose k) a^(n-k) b^k and simplify the expression to get the expanded form.

What is the purpose of using the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem is used to simplify and expand binomial expressions raised to a certain power. It can also be used to calculate the coefficients of the expanded terms, which can be helpful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

What are some common real-life applications of the binomial theorem?

The binomial theorem has various real-life applications, such as in probability and statistics, genetics, and finance. It is also used in engineering and physics to calculate probabilities and determine outcomes of experiments or events.

Are there any limitations to the binomial theorem?

Yes, the binomial theorem can only be used for binomial expressions, which have two terms. It also assumes that the terms in the expression are raised to a positive integer power. Additionally, the theorem may not be applicable in certain cases where the terms are not easily simplified.