Identifying a Molecule - C8H8N4O2

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecule
In summary, the conversation is about a person who saw a molecule tattoo on TV and wants to identify it. After some discussion and online searching, it is revealed that the molecule is C8H8N4O2, which is very similar to theobromine found in chocolate. The conversation also mentions a free chemical database called ChemSpider for future use.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Just saw a molecule on TV. It was a tattoo. Want to identify it.

C8H8N4O2

Is there a way of researching it?

Or I guess I can just give up and ask...

Attachments

• molecule.gif
    molecule.gif
    3.6 KB · Views: 641
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Update: it is extremely close to caffeine.

Update update:

It's chocolate.

I am astonished that an hour of searching online never once turned that up. Incredible.

My wife found it in three minutes.

Are you referring to theobromine? Because the structures are slightly different (although I imagine they were aiming to have theobromine on the tattoo).

Of general interest for future use: ChemSpider is a free chemical database that you can search a number of different ways (structure, formula, common names, and so on).

In particular - I searched for this particular compound (which is, as Ygggdrasil notes, is probably meant to be theobromine) - wasn't able to find an exact match (and the skeleton match was taking forever. Or the window just timed out and didn't update me).

Yes. The "chocolate molecule". It was on a desserts cooking show.

1. What is the chemical formula for the molecule C8H8N4O2?

The chemical formula for the molecule C8H8N4O2 is composed of 8 carbon atoms, 8 hydrogen atoms, 4 nitrogen atoms, and 2 oxygen atoms.

2. How do you identify a molecule with the formula C8H8N4O2?

To identify a molecule with the formula C8H8N4O2, you can use techniques such as spectroscopy, mass spectrometry, or nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. These methods can help determine the molecular structure and functional groups present in the molecule.

3. What is the name of the molecule with the formula C8H8N4O2?

The name of the molecule with the formula C8H8N4O2 is 2,4-diamino-1,3,5-triazine-6-carboxamide. It is also known by other names such as melamine and cyanurotriamide.

4. What are the properties of the molecule C8H8N4O2?

The molecule C8H8N4O2 is a white crystalline solid with a melting point of 354 degrees Celsius. It is insoluble in water but soluble in organic solvents such as ethanol and acetone. It is also a basic compound with a pKa value of 5.5.

5. What are the common uses of the molecule C8H8N4O2?

The molecule C8H8N4O2 has various industrial uses, such as in the production of plastics, adhesives, and flame retardants. It is also used in the manufacture of fertilizers and as a food additive. Additionally, it is a key component in the production of the synthetic material melamine foam, which is used for insulation and soundproofing.