Understanding Newton's Second Law: How kgm/s2 Relates to Force

• Thread starter -Physician
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Newton
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between different formulas and their units, specifically the formulas for force and acceleration. It is mentioned that dimensional analysis does not provide information about the variation of velocity over time, but can be used to determine the dimensions of derivatives. The conversation also touches on Newton's second law and the accuracy of dimensional analysis.
-Physician
Okay, so if we have the work Formula:
##A=Fd## we have units: ##N*m## which gives us joule ##J##,
but if we have the formula of the force:
##F=\frac{mv}{t}## we would have ##\frac{kg * \frac{m}{s}}{s}## which gives us ##kg \frac{m}{s^2}##, so does that give Newton?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, because kg = mass and m/s^-2 = acceleration so... mass x acceleration = Force

So formula ##F=\frac{mv}{t}## gives us formula ##F=ma## or ##F=ma## gives us ##F=\frac{mv}{t}## ?

Looks OK to me. The dimensions are the same on both sides of the equation.
Why would you doubt this?
Science is consistent and full of little interesting bits like this. Enjoy.

-Physician said:
So formula ##F=\frac{mv}{t}## gives us formula ##F=ma## or ##F=ma## gives us ##F=\frac{mv}{t}## ?
That's about right, just the variation is missing. I assume that you know that acceleration is the variation of velocity over time. Dimensional analysis doesn't provide that kind of information.

Newton's second law is that F ~ dp/dt with p=mv

harrylin said:
Dimensional analysis doesn't provide that kind of information.

How not??
Acceleration: ST-2

sophiecentaur said:
How not??
Acceleration: ST-2
Again: it doesn't provide the information about v/t vs. dv/dt.

Same units same dimensio. Even same value for uniform acceleration. What probem do you have?

sophiecentaur said:
Same units same dimensio. Even same value for uniform acceleration. What probem do you have?
I have no problem.

But you claim that Dimensional Analysis doesn't work in calculus?

[tex]
\frac{d v}{d t} = \lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t} = \lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0} \frac{v(t + \Delta t) - v(t)}{\Delta t}
[/tex]

Now, look at the numerator (angle brackets mean dimension of ...):
[tex]
\left[ v(t) \right] = \left[ v(t + \Delta t)\right] = \left[ v \right] \Rightarrow \left[ \Delta v \right] \equiv \left[ v(t + \Delta t) - v(t) \right] = \left[ v \right]
[/tex]
where we had used the rule from Dimensional analysis that one can only add and subtract physical quantities with the same dimension, and the result is of the same dimension.

Next, look at the fraction:
[tex]
\left[ \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t} \right] = \frac{\left[\Delta v \right]}{\left[ \Delta t \right]} = \frac{\left[ v \right]}{\left[ t \right]}
[/tex]
where we had used the rule of Dimensional analysis that the dimension of a product or ratio of two physical quantities is the product or ratio of their dimensions.

Even if you take the limit as [itex]\Delta t \rightarrow 0[/itex], the dimensions of the ratio do not change. So:
[tex]
\left[ \frac{d v}{d t} \right] = \left[ \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t} \right] = \frac{\left[ v \right]}{\left[ t \right]}
[/tex]

This is a general rule: The dimensions of a derivative of y w.r.t. x is simply [y]/[x].

sophiecentaur said:
But you claim that Dimensional Analysis doesn't work in calculus?
No, not at all. I simply warned the OP that v/t is not identical to dv/dt. For example, if m=1, v=1, t=1, F =/= 1 (except by pure chance) :rolleyes:

I think it was you who brought DA into it and you seemed to be 'dissin' it. All you were really doing was questioning the accuracy resulting from some assomptions? I'll buy that.

sophiecentaur said:
I think it was you who brought DA into it and you seemed to be 'dissin' it. All you were really doing was questioning the accuracy resulting from some assomptions? I'll buy that.
No, it wasn't me - and let's hope that the OP gets it. :smile:

Thank you all for your comments. I got it all

1. What is the relationship between kgm/s2 and Newton?

The unit kgm/s2 is equivalent to the unit Newton, which is the SI unit of force. This means that kgm/s2 and Newton measure the same physical quantity, which is force.

2. Can kgm/s2 be converted to Newton?

Yes, kgm/s2 can be converted to Newton by multiplying the value in kgm/s2 by 1 Newton/1 kgm/s2. This will cancel out the kgm/s2 unit, leaving only Newton as the unit of force.

3. Is kgm/s2 a valid unit of force?

Yes, kgm/s2 is a valid unit of force. It is the unit used in the SI system to measure force and is derived from the base units of mass (kg), length (m), and time (s).

4. How is kgm/s2 related to the concept of acceleration?

Kgm/s2 is related to acceleration through the equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. The unit of force, kgm/s2, can also be written as Newton, which is the unit of force in the equation F=ma. This shows that kgm/s2 and Newton are both related to the concept of acceleration.

5. Can kgm/s2 and Newton be used interchangeably?

Yes, kgm/s2 and Newton can be used interchangeably as they measure the same physical quantity of force. However, it is important to note that kgm/s2 is the unit used in the SI system, while Newton is the more commonly used unit in everyday applications.