Finding a potential function pt 2

In summary, the videos suggest that finding the potential function for a field can be done by taking the antiderivative of each equation. By taking the antiderivative of each equation, it is possible to find the potential function for a field.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

find the potential function f for field F

F = (y + z)i + (x + z)j + (x + y)k

here is the answer

Screenshot2012-05-30at35834AM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

From the videos I've seen it appears that finding the potential function is rather easy, just take the antiderivative of each equation, the first with respect to x, the next with respect to y, and the third with respect to z, then if there are duplicate terms, use only one of them once. Using that technique I get

(y + z)x + (x+z)y + (x+y)z + C

Clearly something else is going on that I'm not aware of.

Physics news on Phys.org
robertjford80 said:

Homework Statement

find the potential function f for field F

F = (y + z)i + (x + z)j + (x + y)k

here is the answer

Screenshot2012-05-30at35834AM.png
They write their answer in a rather curious way.

Why not f(x, y, z) = xy + yz + zx ?

The Attempt at a Solution

From the videos I've seen it appears that finding the potential function is rather easy, just take the antiderivative of each equation, the first with respect to x, the next with respect to y, and the third with respect to z, then if there are duplicate terms, use only one of them once. Using that technique I get

(y + z)x + (x+z)y + (x+y)z + C

Clearly something else is going on that I'm not aware of.

For your solution of f(x, y, z) = (y + z)x + (x+z)y + (x+y)z + C , try taking ∂f/∂x , ∂f/∂y , ∂f/∂z and see that it doesn't work.

Ok, I get it now, my way had several duplicate terms. And the book just uses an odd way to write xz + yx + zy

robertjford80 said:
Ok, I get it now, my way had several duplicate terms. And the book just uses an odd way to write xz + yx + zy
Yes, but if you're careful your way can work just fine.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=y+z\quad\to\quad f(x,\,y,\,z)=xy+xz+\text{Some term not containing }x\text{ but including the constant, }C[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}=x+z\quad\to\quad f(x,\,y,\,z)=xy+yz+\text{Some term not containing }y\text{ but including the constant, }C[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}=y+z\quad\to\quad f(x,\,y,\,z)=xz+yz+\text{Some term not containing }z\text{ but including the constant, }C[/itex]

So by inspection we have that [itex]f(x,\,y,\,z)=xy+xz+yz+C[/itex]

Try this on your previous problem.

Last edited:

1. What is a potential function?

A potential function is a mathematical function that represents the potential energy of a system in terms of its coordinates. It is used in physics and engineering to model and analyze the behavior of physical systems.

2. How is a potential function related to force?

In physics, force is the derivative of potential energy with respect to displacement. This means that the gradient of a potential function represents the force acting on a particle at a given point in space.

3. Can any function be a potential function?

No, a potential function must satisfy certain mathematical criteria in order to accurately represent a physical system. For example, it must be a continuous and differentiable function with a single-valued gradient.

4. How do you find a potential function for a given system?

The process of finding a potential function for a given system involves using mathematical techniques such as integration and partial derivatives. It also requires a thorough understanding of the physical principles and laws governing the system.

5. Why is finding a potential function important?

Finding a potential function allows us to simplify the analysis of complex physical systems. It can help us understand the behavior of the system and make predictions about its future behavior. It is also a useful tool for solving problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and chemistry.