Does self-study even matter to graduate schools?

In summary, self-study may not be as beneficial to a graduate school application as one might think. The admissions committee is likely to look more favorably upon candidates who have taken more formal courses, even if those candidates did not enroll in a formal program. Additionally, the admissions committee may test candidates on their knowledge prior to admission.
Scott4775
Hello everyone,

Forgive me if this question has been addressed elsewhere in the forum. I've searched through the topics but did not find anything similar to my question, so I appreciate if anyone has any advice that they may be able to offer.

I would love to go to graduate school and get my masters in mathematics. The problem is that I do not have upper-division courses beyond a proof-based course...so no abstract algebra, topology, real analysis etc. I have graduated college but it was in a different field (long story) and am unable to go back right now because of financial/job constraints.

What I'm wondering is if one self-studies advanced mathematics, such as topology or real analysis, do graduate schools care at all for that? Do anyone of you know if they bother testing your knowledge of the material to assess your comprehension, or would they just bypass your application in favor of those candidates who actually have the courses on their record?

Thank you to everyone who has any input!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't read the mind of an admissions committee, but I would certainly not treat an A in an upper-division course at a good college or university on the same level as "I studied it myself and I really learned it. Cross my heart."

I don't think self-study would contribute much at all to an application for grad school unless it was supported by an outstanding score on the Math GRE. That might demonstrate some mastery of the requisite coursework, but I'm still skeptical about how much of a boost it would provide.

It may be worth pointing out that self-study is generally 'expected' of graduate school candidates.

A course is a course. It provides a formal though imperfect way of saying you've covered certain material, that you've understood it enough to pass formal evaluation, and that you've been ranked amoung your peers on your performance. It's not comprehensive.

One of the differences between the more and less successful graduate students that I've observed is that the more successful ones are those who read up on their field outside of what they are assigned.

Scott4775 said:
What I'm wondering is if one self-studies advanced mathematics, such as topology or real analysis, do graduate schools care at all for that?

The trouble here is figuring out some way of proving that you self-studied. They aren't just going to take your word for it.

Do anyone of you know if they bother testing your knowledge of the material to assess your comprehension, or would they just bypass your application in favor of those candidates who actually have the courses on their record?

1) There is the GRE which is a test of your knowledge

2) If you self-study, then presumably you are going to get a higher grade on the classes you take and you can take more advanced classes. It's pointless to say "I studied Topology", but if studying Topology by yourself let's you take "Advanced Topology III" then that looks impressive.

The other thing is that if you study something by yourself, there is no rule against taking the class. Presumably if you've already studied topology then getting an A in the course is going to be a piece of cake.

Scott4775 said:
Do anyone of you know if they bother testing your knowledge of the material to assess your comprehension?

Once you are admitted, there will be qualifying exams that test your knowledge. And as other posters mentioned, the math GRE is also used to test your knowledge prior to admission. But beyond that, the answer is 'no'. That's the purpose of an undergraduate transcript.

You might want to see if there is some way you could take a few graduate courses without being enrolled in a program. If you had a few A's in graduate math courses, that would bolster your argument that you adequately covered the undergraduate curriculum on your own. (For example, I know that the California State Universities generally have an "Open University" program that allows you to take two graduate courses with instructor approval.)

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to offer advice. I greatly appreciate it. I do understand the concern of the admissions committee of knowing whether or not one has learned the material commensurate with a brick and mortar institution. Perhaps things will look up soon and I'll be able to afford the required classes...in the meantime, I'll continue to study and hopefully make the actual class just a little easier...I hope! :)

Thanks again!

1. How much weight does self-study hold in the graduate school admissions process?

Self-study can hold varying degrees of importance depending on the graduate school and program. Some schools may place more emphasis on self-study if the applicant has limited formal coursework in the desired field, while others may value hands-on experience and internships more. Overall, self-study can be a valuable addition to an applicant's profile, but it may not be the determining factor in the admissions decision.

2. What types of self-study activities are considered valuable by graduate schools?

Graduate schools value self-study activities that demonstrate an applicant's dedication, self-motivation, and passion for their chosen field. This can include independent research projects, online courses, relevant books or articles read, and practical experiences such as volunteering or participating in workshops related to the desired field.

3. Can self-study replace formal coursework in the eyes of graduate schools?

In most cases, self-study cannot replace formal coursework entirely. Graduate schools typically have specific prerequisites and course requirements for their programs, and self-study may not fulfill all of these. However, self-study can supplement formal coursework and show a well-rounded understanding and interest in the field.

4. How can self-study benefit an applicant's graduate school application?

Self-study can benefit an applicant's graduate school application in several ways. It can demonstrate a strong work ethic, self-motivation, and a genuine interest in the field. It can also show an applicant's ability to take initiative and learn independently, which are valuable skills for graduate studies. Additionally, self-study can make up for any gaps in formal education or highlight a specific area of interest within the desired field.

5. Are there any disadvantages to relying solely on self-study for graduate school preparation?

Relying solely on self-study for graduate school preparation can have some disadvantages. It may not provide the same depth and rigor as formal coursework, and some graduate schools may view it as less credible. Additionally, self-study may not provide opportunities for networking and hands-on experiences that can be beneficial for graduate studies. It is essential to have a balance of both self-study and formal coursework for a well-rounded graduate school preparation.