Inverse Fourier Transform of sin(t)(sin(2t))^2 question

• Thread starter toneboy1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fourier
In summary, there is a discussion about finding the inverse Fourier transform of X(w) = (sin(w/2).exp(-j2w))/(jw + 2). One person suggests using the table and the properties of the Fourier transform to find the solution, while another suggests using the sinc function. The solution is given as x(t) = j/2[exp(-2(t-2.5).u(t-2.5) - exp(-2(t-1.5)).u(t-1.5)], but it is questioned whether it can be simplified to be real. The conversation also touches on the properties of even and odd functions in relation to the Fourier transform.
toneboy1

Homework Statement

Inverse Fourier transform of X(w) = (sin(w/2).exp(-j2w))/(jw + 2)

Homework Equations

From table:

exp(-bt).u(t) → 1/(jw+b)

multiplication by sin: x(t)sin(w0t → j/2[X(w+w0)-X(w-w0]

w0 being 0.5 here.

shifted left or right in time: x(t-c) → X(W)exp(-jwc)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got x(t) = j/2[exp(-2(t-1.5)).u(t-1.5) - exp(-2(t-2.5).u(t-2.5)]
but I think it should be: x(t) = j/2[exp(-2(t-2.5).u(t-2.5) - exp(-2(t-1.5)).u(t-1.5)]

Any opinions?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well x(t) is real. I know this because |X(w)| is an even function and ∠X(w) is an odd function, so spotting j in x(t) means either your result is not simplified to make it real or it's not quite right.

I'm not quite sure how you did the inverse transform with the transform properties you listed. Keep in mind two Fourier functions multiplied together is the same as convolution in the time domain, not the product of two time domain functions. Though I'm not sure if that is what you did.

When I see sin(w/2) in the Fourier transform I am immediately thinking sinc as in sinc(w/2) = sin(w/2)/(w/2). The inverse transform of a sinc function is a rectangle in the time domain. I would look at whether X(w) could be written in terms of sinc.

I only looked at this quickly so keep that in mind! I'm about to sign off but wanted to give some feedback since you asked in that other thread.

Last edited:
aralbrec said:
I only looked at this quickly so keep that in mind! I'm about to sign off but wanted to give some feedback since you asked in that other thread.

Fairenough, I appreciate that, hopefully another time.

Well I took the whole thing to be 1/(jw+b)

which was multiplied by sin and shifted right by 2 (from the exp(-j2w)).

I was given as the answer:
x(t) = j/2[exp(-2(t-2.5).u(t-2.5) - exp(-2(t-1.5)).u(t-1.5)]

but when I did the above to try and get it from X(w) the things in the square brackets were the other way around. So maybe it can be simplified to be real but it probably doesn't matter.

When you say that "|X(w)| is an even function and ∠X(w) is an odd function" how can you tell that?

P.S
So did I take your meaning correctly, like "...Likewise integrating: sin(t).(sin(2t))^2
would be zero?"

Thanks again!

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to decompose a signal or function into its constituent frequencies. It allows us to analyze and understand the frequency components of a signal.

2. How is a Fourier transform calculated?

A Fourier transform is calculated using a mathematical formula that involves integrating the signal or function over all possible frequencies. This results in a representation of the signal in the frequency domain.

3. What are some applications of Fourier transforms?

Fourier transforms have various applications in fields such as signal processing, image analysis, and data compression. They are also used in areas like physics, engineering, and finance for analyzing signals and understanding their frequency components.

4. What is the difference between a Fourier transform and a Fourier series?

A Fourier transform is used for continuous signals or functions, while a Fourier series is used for periodic signals or functions. A Fourier transform gives a representation of the signal in the frequency domain, while a Fourier series gives a representation in terms of a sum of sinusoidal functions.

5. Can any signal or function be represented using a Fourier transform?

Yes, any signal or function can be represented using a Fourier transform. However, the signal must satisfy certain conditions, such as being square integrable, for the Fourier transform to exist.