Chemical Reactions of Substances & Professors' Advice

In summary, a Petroleum Engineering student is conducting a research on the production of petrol from air and electricity. They are looking for reaction equations and asking for help from Chemistry professors and Chemical Engineers. They have found a company that claims to use electrolysis to reclaim CO2 from water solution and are looking for ways to extract CO2 from air. However, there is skepticism about the company's claims and the accuracy of media reports. The student also asks about catalytic hydrogenation and the MTG process, but it is deemed unlikely to have a homemade method for students. The student is then asked to consider the energetics of generating methanol from aerial carbon dioxide and water. They are reminded that it is their thesis and they cannot expect others to
serendipity21
[1]

Good afternoon anyone! I am a Petroleum Engineering student at Palawan State University and conducting a research. I have seen a topic of research, and it is: The Production of Petrol from Air and Electricity, and I need to find some reaction equations for my topic, here are some:

Air and NaOH is combined and passed through an electrolyser to separate the CO2 present in air.

CO2 and H2 are reacted together to produce methanol.

Methanol is converted into petrol.

(Please include the other products and catalysts in your equations, thanks in advance!)

[2]

In the 2nd reaction mentioned above, a reactor is needed to produce methanol. Since I am an amateur student, please explain its operation and am I able to make a homemade reactor?
I would be glad if yes.

[Preferably I need to speak to Chemistry professors and Chemical Engineers out there, I have a pile of questions to ask to you. Thank you very much! (Thesis Adviser)]

Chemistry news on Phys.org

serendipity21 said:
Air and NaOH is combined and passed through an electrolyser to separate the CO2 present in air.

I don't see how you are going to use electrolysis to decompose carbonates.

Sorry, but basing your chemical research on some CNN video is not going to work. While most of the information there is reasonably correct, there are plenty of shortcuts and simplifications.

Borek said:
Sorry, but basing your chemical research on some CNN video is not going to work. While most of the information there is reasonably correct, there are plenty of shortcuts and simplifications.

Of course sir! I have many sources and do not base on just one news article. Thanks I found someone I could speak on. Here is the company's website for that news in CNN.

http://www.airfuelsynthesis.com/home.html

Find where they state "we use electrolysis to reclaim CO2 from the water solution".

Exactly where do you have read about that sir? I have read some topics related to carbon recycling, and if I was not to base the idea from NaOH, how can I extract CO2 from air?

serendipity21 said:
Exactly where do you have read about that sir?

I haven't. That was more of a rhetorical question. I would be convinced they use electrolysis for CO2 if you will find it on their page.

Interesting, looks like a piece of a clever chemistry. Still, if I understand the process correctly (and I am not sure I do) I see it as an electrolytical acidification of the solution, not carbonate electrolysis. Perhaps that's just a nomenclature thing.

CNN report was clear, but I don't trust media reports, way too many times what they show is garbled beyond recognition.

Thanks for your time and effort Sirs! I have read the article JOC perspective. Now concerning on the catalytic hydrogenation, CO2 + 3H2 <----> CH3OH + H2O, what kind of process is required to apply this equation, and is there a catalyst? If there is, particularly what? We're thinking of applying the method up to the production of methanol. But from methanol, it needs the MTG process, which is really complicated. Are there possible homemade methods for us students?

Thanks in advance, cheers.

By the way, on the news, the extraction of CO2 via electrolysis of air and NaOH? How can we do that? Is it possible with the use of homemade materials?

serendipity21 said:
Thanks for your time and effort Sirs! I have read the article JOC perspective. Now concerning on the catalytic hydrogenation, CO2 + 3H2 <----> CH3OH + H2O, what kind of process is required to apply this equation, and is there a catalyst? If there is, particularly what? We're thinking of applying the method up to the production of methanol.
Page 4, paragraph 2 of the JOC article. Here is a powerpoint presentation of the process. You should already know this.

But from methanol, it needs the MTG process, which is really complicated. Are there possible homemade methods for us students?

Not likely and if I knew how to do it cheaply, low tech, low pressure and at low temperature you'd be paying me every time you filled your gas tank.

Thank you for the efforts. So now can you suggest any research topics related to petroleum? At least on that we can prove it in our defense. Our initial objective from the topic petrol from air and electricity, is to determine its effectiveness against conventional petrol.

Sir, it is not elaborated in the JOC perspective on how to capture CO2 from air. But, I found a paper saying, "A classic chemistry experiment is to bubble air through a calcium hydroxide solution and to remove the air’s CO2 in this fashion", by Klaus S. Lackner et. al., Capturing CO2 from air. Now how was the experiment performed there?

Thanks in advance. Cheers

I suggest you consider the energetics of generating methanol from aerial carbon dioxide and water.

It is your project, you cannot expect us to do it for you.

Studiot said:
I suggest you consider the energetics of generating methanol from aerial carbon dioxide and water.

It is your project, you cannot expect us to do it for you.

I never expected that you would do it for me. And it is not a project, it is a thesis.

Btw, I don't know what you mean energetics in the generation of alcohol.

Btw, I don't know what you mean energetics in the generation of alcohol.

Well this is the chemistry forum.

Even if you don't know the chemical reactions involved you can calculate how much energy you have to input to convert four molecules of water and two of carbon dioxide to two of methanol and and three of oxygen.
You can obtain the necessary information to do this from standard tables, your thesis supervisor should be able to help.

Oh, sir why alcohol? I am a petroleum engineering student. Is it possible for gasoline? And what is its significance for me to calculate the energy required?

serendipity21 said:
Oh, sir why alcohol? I am a petroleum engineering student. Is it possible for gasoline? And what is its significance for me to calculate the energy required?

Because you mentioned methanol!

You will have to do this for various chemical compounds and see which is the best to produce.

You do realize that you have to input energy to achieve your goal?

Don't expect them to provide you with all the details - after all, they are working on a technology that they hope to sell or license.

1. What is a chemical reaction?

A chemical reaction is a process in which one or more substances are transformed into new substances with different chemical and physical properties.

2. What are the different types of chemical reactions?

There are several types of chemical reactions, including synthesis, decomposition, single replacement, double replacement, and combustion reactions.

3. How do I know if a chemical reaction has occurred?

There are several signs of a chemical reaction, such as a change in color, formation of a gas, production of heat or light, or formation of a precipitate.

4. How can I predict the products of a chemical reaction?

The products of a chemical reaction can be predicted by understanding the types of reactions and using the periodic table to determine the chemical properties of the reactants.

5. What advice do professors have for conducting chemical reactions?

Professors advise students to always wear proper safety gear, carefully measure and mix chemicals, and follow proper disposal procedures. It is also important to read and understand all instructions before beginning a reaction.