A Maxwell's equation in differential forms formalism

In summary, the conversation discusses using differential forms to prove the Maxwell equation, {{F}^{\mu \nu }}_{,\mu }={{\mu }_{0}}{{J}^{\nu }}, can be written as d*F={{\mu }_{0}}J. The conversation includes several attempts to manipulate the equation and connect *d*F with *J, ultimately resulting in a minus sign in the equation. It is noted that this minus sign may be due to the use of a different Faraday tensor in the equation.
cosmic dust

Homework Statement

This is not actually a homework but a personal work. Here it is:
Using the differential forms:

[itex]F=\tfrac{1}{2!}{{F}_{\mu \nu }}d{{x}^{\mu }}\wedge d{{x}^{\nu }}[/itex] and [itex]J=\tfrac{1}{3!}{{J}^{\mu }}{{\varepsilon }_{\mu \alpha \beta \gamma }}d{{x}^{\alpha }}\wedge d{{x}^{\beta }}\wedge d{{x}^{\gamma }}[/itex]

proof that the Maxwell equation: [itex]{{F}^{\mu \nu }}_{,\mu }={{\mu }_{0}}{{J}^{\nu }}[/itex] can be written as:

[itex]d*F={{\mu }_{0}}J[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]*F\equiv \tfrac{1}{4}{{F}^{\mu \nu }}{{\varepsilon }_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma }}d{{x}^{\rho }}\wedge d{{x}^{\sigma }}[/itex]

[itex]d*F=\tfrac{1}{4}{{F}^{\mu \nu }}_{,a}{{\varepsilon }_{\mu \nu \rho \sigma }}d{{x}^{\alpha }}\wedge d{{x}^{\rho }}\wedge d{{x}^{\sigma }}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried several ways to do this but they either fail (not giving the desired result) or get to a point where I cannot proceed any further.

Here are some attempts:
A) I multiplied both sides of the given equation with [itex]{{\varepsilon }_{\nu \alpha \beta \gamma }}d{{x}^{\alpha }}\wedge d{{x}^{\beta }}\wedge d{{x}^{\gamma }}[/itex] in order to make the current 3-form to appear in the RHS and then I tried to manipulate the LHS of the equation in order to make the [itex]d*F[/itex] to appear. This is the process:

[itex]{{F}^{\mu \nu }}_{,\mu }={{\mu }_{0}}{{J}^{\nu }}\Rightarrow {{F}^{\mu \nu }}_{,\mu }{{\varepsilon }_{\nu \alpha \beta \gamma }}d{{x}^{\alpha }}\wedge d{{x}^{\beta }}\wedge d{{x}^{\gamma }}=3!J[/itex]

As you can see, only one of the indices of Levi-Civita Symbol (LCS) contracts with the one indices of the field tensor (in contrast with the [itex]d*F[/itex] expression where two indices contract with the two indices of the field tensor) and also in the [itex]d*F[/itex] expression the derivative contracts with a basis 1-form while in the above equation the derivative contracts with one indice of the field tensor. In order to bypass the problem, I tried to decouple those disturbing contractions using Kronecker deltas:

[itex]{{F}^{\mu \nu }}_{,\mu }{{\varepsilon }_{\nu \alpha \beta \gamma }}d{{x}^{\alpha }}\wedge d{{x}^{\beta }}\wedge d{{x}^{\gamma }}={{\delta }_{\mu }}^{\rho }{{\delta }_{\alpha }}^{\sigma }{{F}^{\mu \nu }}_{,\rho }{{\varepsilon }_{\nu \sigma \beta \gamma }}d{{x}^{\alpha }}\wedge d{{x}^{\beta }}\wedge d{{x}^{\gamma }}[/itex]

I don’t know how to proceed further, in order to get the desired contractions. I tried to represent the deltas with LCSs, like this:

[itex]{{\varepsilon }_{\rho \sigma \mu \alpha }}{{\varepsilon }^{\rho \sigma \mu \nu }}=3!{{\delta }_{\alpha }}^{\nu }[/itex]

but then the equation gets more complex. I suppose that I have to use some property of the LCSs in order to manipulate the 5 LCS that appear.

B) I tried to connect [itex]*d*F[/itex] with [itex]*J[/itex] , a process that involves simpler manipulations, but I come up with an equation that has an opposite sign of the desired. Here is what I did:

[itex]*d*F=\tfrac{1}{24}{{\varepsilon }^{\mu \nu \beta \gamma }}{{F}_{\mu \nu }}^{,\alpha }{{\varepsilon }_{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta }}d{{x}^{\delta }}=\tfrac{1}{6}{{F}_{\mu \nu }}^{,\mu }d{{x}^{\nu }}\Rightarrow 6*d*F={{F}_{\mu \nu }}^{,\mu }d{{x}^{\nu }}[/itex]

[itex]*{{J}_{}}=\tfrac{1}{3!}\tfrac{1}{3!}{{J}_{\mu }}{{\varepsilon }^{\mu \alpha \beta \gamma }}{{\varepsilon }_{\alpha \beta \gamma \delta }}d{{x}^{\delta }}=-\tfrac{1}{3!}{{J}_{\nu }}d{{x}^{\nu }}\Rightarrow -6*{J}={{J}_{\nu }}d{{x}^{\nu }}[/itex]

(I used the identity [itex]{{\varepsilon }_{\mu \nu \alpha \beta }}{{\varepsilon }^{\mu \nu \rho \sigma }}=2\left( {{\delta }_{\alpha }}^{\rho }{{\delta }_{\beta }}^{\sigma }-{{\delta }_{\beta }}^{\rho }{{\delta }_{\alpha }}^{\sigma } \right) [/itex] in the first equation and [itex]{{\varepsilon }_{\rho \sigma \mu \alpha }}{{\varepsilon }^{\rho \sigma \mu \nu }}=3!{{\delta }_{\alpha }}^{\nu }[/itex] in the second)

So, according to the given equation, the above 1-forms are related like this:

[itex]{{F}_{\mu \nu }}^{,\mu }={{\mu }_{0}}{{J}_{\nu }}\Rightarrow *d*F=-{{\mu }_{0}}*{J}\Rightarrow d*F=-{{\mu }_{0}}{J}[/itex]

That minus sign shouldn’t be there!

Please check this last process for mistakes; it is the one that gets me closer to the result. If it correct, then apparently what I want to proof is the result with minus sign. But in the literature this equation has always a positive sign. I checked the definitions of the forms and the Hodge duality that are used in literature (which are the same as I those presented above), but the result they get has a positive sign (for reference check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_descriptions_of_the_electromagnetic_field , in the “Differential forms approach” section)

Physics news on Phys.org
it is better to go with one form current.
j=jadxa
with the definition of F,we have
*F=1/4(εabcd Fcd dxaΔdxb)
we can employ riemann normal coordinates in case of curved spacetime,
g=η,zero christoffel symbols this all means dε=0
d*F=1/4 d(εabcd Fcd dxaΔdxb)=1/4 ε[ab cde]Fcd dxeΔdxaΔdxb
this is three form with components
(d*F)eab=3/2 ε[ab cde]Fcd
then component of *d*F are
(*d*F)p=1/6 εpeab(3/2 ε[ab cde]Fcd)=1/4 εabpe εabcdeFcd=-δ[c|p ge|d]eFcd
=-δcpgedeFcd=-∂d Fpd=∂d Fdp
which from maxwell eqn
aFab=-jb gives what is required.your minus sign is ok.they are just using different faraday tensor ie. the equation used is ∇aFba=jb .that's all.see wiki page on electromagnetic tensor.

Last edited:
Thank's!

What is a Maxwell's equation in differential forms formalism?

A Maxwell's equation in differential forms formalism is a mathematical representation of the fundamental laws of electricity and magnetism, named after physicist James Clerk Maxwell. It describes the relationship between electric and magnetic fields and their sources, such as charges and currents.

What are the four Maxwell's equations in differential forms formalism?

The four Maxwell's equations in differential forms formalism are Gauss's law, Gauss's law for magnetism, Faraday's law of induction, and Ampere's law with Maxwell's modification. Together, they describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields and their interaction with each other and with charged particles.

What is the significance of using differential forms in Maxwell's equations?

Differential forms are a mathematical tool that allows for a more elegant and concise representation of Maxwell's equations. They provide a way to express the equations in a coordinate-independent manner, making them more applicable to a variety of physical systems. Differential forms also allow for a deeper understanding of the geometric and topological properties of Maxwell's equations.

How do Maxwell's equations in differential forms formalism differ from the traditional vector calculus form?

Maxwell's equations in differential forms formalism differ from the traditional vector calculus form in that they are written in terms of differential forms, which are objects that have both magnitude and direction. This allows for a more compact and elegant representation of the equations, as well as a better understanding of their geometric properties. Additionally, Maxwell's equations in differential forms formalism are expressed in a coordinate-independent manner, making them more applicable to a wider range of physical systems.

What are some applications of Maxwell's equations in differential forms formalism?

Maxwell's equations in differential forms formalism have many applications in physics and engineering, including the study of electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the design and analysis of electronic circuits, antennas, and other electromagnetic devices. Additionally, they have applications in areas such as geophysics, acoustics, and fluid dynamics.