Early Diff EQ Solving Methods (Chp 1 status yo)

• Thread starter Kevin2341
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, there are several methods for solving ODE's, including separation of variables, "guessing", and using integrating factors. The choice of method depends on the characteristics of the equation, such as linearity and complexity, and can also involve solving for a particular solution. By considering the order and coefficients of the equation, one can determine the best method to use for solving it.
Kevin2341
Alright, got a quick differential equation question.

So far in my DE class, we have learned 3 methods of solving ODE's
-Separation of Variables
-"Guessing" (the y=yh+yp method)
-Integrating Factors

How do you know when to use these methods and when not to? I understand the methods to use each of these three (Although guessing is still pretty sketchy when it comes to actually guessing).

Does it have something to do with linearity? Or is it simply just which ever method is "nicer"? I know with integrating factors sometimes you end up with integrals that are impossible to solve, so in that case, you'd need to resort to guessing.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kevin2341 said:
Alright, got a quick differential equation question.

So far in my DE class, we have learned 3 methods of solving ODE's
-Separation of Variables
-"Guessing" (the y=yh+yp method)
-Integrating Factors

How do you know when to use these methods and when not to? I understand the methods to use each of these three (Although guessing is still pretty sketchy when it comes to actually guessing).

Does it have something to do with linearity? Or is it simply just which ever method is "nicer"? I know with integrating factors sometimes you end up with integrals that are impossible to solve, so in that case, you'd need to resort to guessing.

I would look at the problem and ask myself, in this order:

1. Is if first order? If so then
2. Is it constant coefficient? If so use the characteristic equation and ##y_h,\, y_p## if it is non-homogeneous.
3. Is it linear? If so solve by integrating factor.
4. Is it separable? If so separate and integrate.
5. Write it as M(x,y)dx + N(x,y)dy = 0. Is it exact? Homogeneous (y = ux substitution)? Is there an integrating factor function of x or function of y?
6. Is it some special equation like a Bernoulli nonlinear equation?

Now if it is second order then:
7. Is it constant coefficient? f so use the characteristic equation and ##y_h,\, y_p## if it is non-homogeneous.
8. Is the ##y'## term missing? If so let ##u=y'## making a first order equation in ##y'##.
9. Do you know one solution so you can reduce the order?
10. Is it linear, maybe solvable by series?

That should get you started. You usually won't have to go all the way down the list.

1. What are the basic methods for solving early differential equations?

The basic methods for solving early differential equations are separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors.

2. What is separation of variables?

Separation of variables is a method where you separate the variables in a first-order differential equation and then integrate both sides to solve for the unknown variable.

3. How does substitution work in solving differential equations?

Substitution is a method where you substitute a known function or value for the unknown variable in a differential equation, simplifying it to an easier form that can be solved.

4. What is the purpose of integrating factors in solving differential equations?

Integrating factors are used to convert a non-exact differential equation into an exact one, making it easier to solve. They are also used to solve linear differential equations with variable coefficients.

5. Can all differential equations be solved using the basic methods?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using the basic methods. Some equations require more advanced techniques such as series solutions or Laplace transforms.