Carnot Engine Between Reservoirs with Varying Temperatures

In summary, Homework Equations state that:(1) \eta = \frac{|dW|}{|dQ|} = 1-\frac{T_2}{T_1}(2) |dQ| = -c_vdT_1 (3) c_v = \frac{3}{2}nR
doombanana

Homework Statement

Two containers with fixed volume are each filled with n moles of a monatomic ideal gas with constant heat capacity. Initially, the volumes of gas are at temperatures [itex]T_1,i [/itex]and [itex]T_2,i[/itex]. What is the maximum amount of work that can be obtained by operating an engine between the two containers?

Homework Equations

Let [itex]T_1 > T_2[/itex]

(1) [itex]\eta = \frac{|dW|}{|dQ|} = 1 - \frac{T_2}{T_1}[/itex]

(2) [itex]|dQ| = -c_vdT_1[/itex] because |dT1| is negative so |dQ| = -dQ

(3) [itex]c_v = \frac{3}{2}nR[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting (2) into (1) and solving for |dw|gives
[itex]|dW| = -c_v \Big(1 - \frac{T_2}{T_1}\Big)dT_1[/itex]

I need to integrate this somehow, but both T1 and T2 are changing so I'm not sure how to do this. I'm assuming there's a relationship between T1 and T2 that I can use that will allow me to integrate? Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try coming up with a relationship between T1 and T2. You should be able to calculate how much heat of the dQ taken from the hot reservoir is expelled into the cold reservoir, which you can then use to get the change in T2.

Last edited:
Hello doombanana. Welcome to PF!

Try setting up an equation for the the cooler gas similar to your equation (2). Also, I think you'll need to use the 1st law of thermodynamics to relate dW, dQ1, and dQ2.

vela said:
Try coming up with a relationship between T1 and T2[/sup]. You should be able to calculate how much heat of the dQ taken from the hot reservoir is expelled into the cold reservoir, which you can then use to get the change in T2.

I guess finding this relationship is where I'm having trouble.

Using Tsny's suggestion, from the first law I found that
[itex]1- \frac{|dQ_2|}{|dQ_1|}= 1-\frac{c_vdT_2}{-c_vdT_1}=1-\frac{T_2}{T_1}[/itex]
solving the last two parts of the equation for T2 gives
[itex]T_2=\frac{T_1c_vdT_2}{-c_vdT_1}[/itex]

substituting that into my eq for |dW| gives
[itex]|dW|= -c_v( dT_1 - dT_2)[/itex]

integrating gives
[itex]|W| = c_v(T_{1,i}-T_{2,i})[/itex]I know this isn't right because |W| ends up being larger than |Q_1|, but I'm not sure where I went wrong, or if this is even remotely close to the correct way to go about this. (I have a feeling it's not.)

EDIT: when integrating I assumed that the final temperature in both reservoirs was equal to (T1,i + T2,i)/2 which now I'm thinking isn't the case. If so, I'm even more lost than before.:uhh:

TSny said:
Hello doombanana. Welcome to PF!

Try setting up an equation for the the cooler gas similar to your equation (2). Also, I think you'll need to use the 1st law of thermodynamics to relate dW, dQ1, and dQ2.

Thank you! I don't know how I've made it this far without creating an account here.

Last edited:
doombanana said:
I guess finding this relationship is where I'm having trouble.

Using Tsny's suggestion, from the first law I found that
[itex]1- \frac{|dQ_2|}{|dQ_1|}= 1-\frac{c_vdT_2}{-c_vdT_1}=1-\frac{T_2}{T_1}[/itex]
solving the last two parts of the equation for T2 gives
OK!
substituting that into my eq for |dW| gives
[itex]|dW|= -c_v( dT_1 - dT_2)[/itex]
Check for a sign error inside the parentheses.
integrating gives
[itex]|W| = c_v(T_{1,i}-T_{2,i})[/itex]
You'll see that with the sign corrected in the previous expression, the integrated expression for W will include the final equilibrium temperature.
EDIT: when integrating I assumed that the final temperature in both reservoirs was equal to (T1,i + T2,i)/2 which now, I think, isn't the case. If so, I'm even more lost than before.:uhh:
See if you can find the final temperature by integrating your equation

Just a note. You can apply the 1st law to the entire process as

W = |Q1|-|Q2|

Each Q can be expressed in terms of Cv and the overall temperature changes. This avoids having to first set up an expression for dW and integrating. But the result is the same.

You're still going to need to determine the final equilibrium temperature in terms of the initial temperatures.

TSny said:
Check for a sign error inside the parentheses.

You'll see that with the sign corrected in the previous expression, the integrated expression for W will include the final equilibrium temperature.

Sign errors are the bane of my existence, but at least I see where it came from.:smile:

TSny said:
See if you can find the final temperature by integrating your equation

Got it!

TSny said:
Just a note. You can apply the 1st law to the entire process as

W = |Q1|-|Q2|

Each Q can be expressed in terms of Cv and the overall temperature changes. This avoids having to first set up an expression for dW and integrating. But the result is the same.

You're still going to need to determine the final equilibrium temperature in terms of the initial temperatures.

Oooh, that is a bit of a shortcut and a more intuitive of setting up the problem.

Thank you very much for your help! You've saved me hours of beating my head against the wall.

1. What is a Carnot engine between reservoirs with varying temperatures?

A Carnot engine is a theoretical heat engine that operates between two heat reservoirs with different temperatures. It follows the Carnot cycle, which is a reversible thermodynamic process, and is used to determine the maximum efficiency that can be achieved by any heat engine operating between two temperatures.

2. How does a Carnot engine work?

A Carnot engine works by using a working fluid, such as a gas or steam, to absorb heat from a high-temperature reservoir and release it to a low-temperature reservoir. This process is repeated in a cycle, with the working fluid going through four stages - isothermal expansion, adiabatic expansion, isothermal compression, and adiabatic compression.

3. What is the efficiency of a Carnot engine?

The efficiency of a Carnot engine is given by the equation: efficiency = (temperature difference between the two reservoirs)/(temperature of the high-temperature reservoir). This means that the efficiency increases as the temperature difference between the two reservoirs increases, and it is always less than 100%.

4. What is the significance of the Carnot engine?

The Carnot engine is significant because it provides a theoretical upper limit for the efficiency of any heat engine. This means that no real-world heat engine can be more efficient than a Carnot engine operating between the same two temperatures. It also plays an important role in the study of thermodynamics and the development of other types of engines.

5. Can a Carnot engine be built in real life?

No, a Carnot engine cannot be built in real life as it is a theoretical concept. However, the principles of the Carnot cycle can be applied to real-life engines to improve their efficiency. This has led to the development of more efficient engines, such as gas turbines and steam turbines, which are used in power plants and other industrial applications.