Do we live in 3 or 4 dimensions?

• Thread starter Stricklandjr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary: Does that mean that the universe is 4 dimensions (space and time) and we are just 3 dimensional moving through the 4 dimensions of the universe?
DaleSpam said:
I don't promote LET. It is merely a counterexample to the claim that the block universe is uniquely implied by the Lorentz transform.
Sorry, you are maybe not aware of it, but you DO promote LET by the simple fact stating it's a valid counterexample. If ether/LET has been discredited or superseded, then it should not be used as a valid alternative to Block Universe. According to the rules you may still only use it in an historical context.
I will not repeat Einstein's quotes once more, but Einstein himself never interpreted his SR/LT with an ether. On the contrary.
Or would you consider this spreading misinformation?

In fact, when people have come here to promote LET, I have consistently argued against them. I consistently oppose the promotion of any philosophical viewpoint here.
If you consider any interpretation of numbers plain philosophy. But is this what physics is about?

Great sketch, Bobc2.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheBC said:
Sorry, you are maybe not aware of it, but you DO promote LET by the simple fact stating it's a valid counterexample. If ether/LET has been discredited or superseded, then it should not be used as a valid alternative to Block Universe. According to the rules you may still only use it in an historical context.
How many times do we have to explain this? LET is a theory that was replaced by SR, because SR is more elegant and doesn't require an ether. LET doesn't have a block universe interpretation, because it mentions the ether in its definition. SR on the other hand, has two interpretations: The block universe interpretation and the ether interpretation. The former is simple and elegant. The latter is complicated and weird.

LET is no longer used because it forces the ether interpretation upon us. SR is preferred because it doesn't.

To "promote LET" would be to say either that SR is wrong and the original LET is right, or that the ether interpretation is the only correct interpretation of SR. To admit that SR has an ether interpretation is not to resurrect a dead theory. It's just a statement of a fact.

Last edited: