Empirical Formula of Crocetin?

• Thread starter DavidQT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, crocetin consists of elements carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. The empirical formula of crocetin is C5H60.
DavidQT
Crocetin consists of elements carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Determine the empirical formula of crocetin, if 1.00g of crocetin forms 2.68g of carbon dioxide and 0.657g of water when it undergoes complete combustion.

I have tried this question several times but I can't get the right answer and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I have asked some classmates and they got the answer to be C5H60.

Physics news on Phys.org
C5H6O looks OK to me. Hard to comment on what you did wrong not seeing what you did.

Please note this should land in homework forums. Moving.

Wikipedia says crocetin is C20H24O6
Divide it all by four and your answer is correct :)

ArielRodriguez said:
Wikipedia says crocetin is C20H24O6
Divide it all by four and your answer is correct :)

It either is, or is not. It fits the formula, but we don't know if it fits data they were given (and they will be graded for the latter, not for their ability to google).

Still Dont get iit

Ok I have a test tomorrow and I still don't get this question.

Crocetin consists of elements carbon, hydrogen and oxygen. Determine the empirical formula of crocetin, if 1.00g of crocetin forms 2.68g of carbon dioxide and 0.657g of water when it undergoes complete combustion.

This is what i did:
2.68/44.01=0.0609 mols of carbon dioxide. 0.657/18.02=0.0365 mols of water.
0.0609/0.0365=1.67 0.0365/0.0365=1
1.67x3= 5 to get it even for the empirical formula. 1x3=3 Have to multiply by 3 to both.
Empirical formula= (CO2)5 (H20)3=C5H6O13. I am pretty sure the answer is C5H60

Dividing by 4 does not work anyways 6 oxygen's divided by 4 does not equal 1 oxygen.

Typo, crocetin doesn't contain 6 oxygen atoms but 4.

DavidQT said:
2.68/44.01=0.0609 mols of carbon dioxide. 0.657/18.02=0.0365 mols of water.
0.0609/0.0365=1.67 0.0365/0.0365=1
1.67x3= 5 to get it even for the empirical formula. 1x3=3 Have to multiply by 3 to both.
Empirical formula= (CO2)5 (H20)3=C5H6O13. I am pretty sure the answer is C5H60

You are assuming that products of combustion contain the same amount of oxygen as crocetin did. That's obviously impossible - you have 2.68+0.657=3.34 g of products, but there was only 1 g of crocetin. No wonder your oxygen is so off.

Then how would I go about fixing my mistake.

Calculate mass of carbon in 2.68g of CO2, calculate mass of hydrogen in 0.657g of H2O, subtract these from the original sample mass - that's the mass of oxygen in the original sample.

Enough spoon feeding for today, now you are on your own.

1. What is the empirical formula of crocetin?

The empirical formula of crocetin is C20H24O4. It is a carotenoid compound found in saffron, marigold, and other plants.

2. How is the empirical formula of crocetin determined?

The empirical formula of crocetin is determined through empirical formula calculation, which involves determining the ratio of elements present in the molecule. This can be done through various analytical techniques such as mass spectrometry and elemental analysis.

3. What is the significance of the empirical formula of crocetin?

The empirical formula of crocetin is significant as it provides information about the molecular composition of the compound. It helps in determining the molecular weight and structure, which are important for understanding the chemical and physical properties of crocetin.

4. Can the empirical formula of crocetin be used to determine its molecular formula?

No, the empirical formula of crocetin only provides the simplest whole-number ratio of atoms present in the compound. To determine the molecular formula, additional information such as the molecular weight or structural information is needed.

5. Is the empirical formula of crocetin the same for all sources?

No, the empirical formula of crocetin may vary depending on the source it is extracted from. This is because the compound may be present in different forms or may have impurities present, which can affect the empirical formula.