Calculate the change in entropy of the system

In summary, the change in entropy of the system with two aluminum cans filled with water at different temperatures is calculated by finding the average temperature, calculating the change in temperature for both sides, finding the heat exchanged, and dividing it by the starting temperature. However, since the temperature changes, the correct method is to integrate and use the formula \Delta S = cm* ln(\frac{T_f}{T_i}).
squib
An aluminum can, with negligible heat capacity, is filled with 485 g of water at 0°C and then is brought into thermal contact with a similar can filled with 517 g of water at 48.5°C. Calculate the change in entropy of the system if no heat is exchanged with the surroundings.

1) I find avg temp, which turns out to be: ~298
2) I calc change in temp for both sides, and find Q. (deltaT)(4.184)(mass)
3) Divide each Q (they're the same, with one being negative) by each starting temperature
4) I come up with .163599 J/K, which is wrong

Where am I messing up? I have 4-5 problems identical to this but can't figure any of them out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
squib said:
An aluminum can, with negligible heat capacity, is filled with 485 g of water at 0°C and then is brought into thermal contact with a similar can filled with 517 g of water at 48.5°C. Calculate the change in entropy of the system if no heat is exchanged with the surroundings.

3) Divide each Q (they're the same, with one being negative) by each starting temperature

Where am I messing up? I have 4-5 problems identical to this but can't figure any of them out!

Can you show your calculations?

squib said:

Since the temperature changes as the heat is absorbed/lost, you have to integrate:

[tex]\Delta S = \int_{T_i}^{T_f} dQ/T = cm\int_{T_i}^{T_f} dT/T = cm* ln(\frac{T_f}{T_i})[/tex]

AM

Thanks so much, I've been very frustrated with how to do those and couldn't find the answer ANYWHERE. Big thanks!

What does "change in entropy" mean?

The change in entropy refers to the difference in the amount of disorder or randomness in a system before and after a process or reaction. It is a measure of the system's thermodynamic state and is often denoted by ΔS.

How is the change in entropy calculated?

The change in entropy can be calculated by taking the difference between the entropy of the final state and the initial state. It can also be calculated using the formula ΔS = Q/T, where Q is the heat transferred and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

What factors affect the change in entropy of a system?

The change in entropy of a system is affected by the amount of energy exchanged, the temperature, and the degree of disorder or randomness in the system. Generally, an increase in energy or temperature, or an increase in disorder, will lead to a greater change in entropy.

Why is it important to calculate the change in entropy of a system?

Calculating the change in entropy is important because it helps us understand the direction and spontaneity of a process or reaction. It also allows us to predict the efficiency and feasibility of a system.

Can the change in entropy of a system be negative?

Yes, the change in entropy of a system can be negative. This means that the system has become more ordered or less random. This often occurs in processes that release energy and decrease disorder, such as freezing or condensation.