My book's throwing equations out of nowhere

  • Thread starter Thread starter VietDao29
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Homework Helper
Messages
1,424
Reaction score
3
My book's throwing equations out of nowhere!

On proving one theorem, my book says:
[tex]1 + 2\sum_{k = 1} ^ {n} \cos k \alpha = \frac{\sin \left( n + \frac{1}{2} \right) \alpha}{\sin \frac{\alpha}{2}}[/tex]
I have no idea where that formula comes from :confused:, and I tried in vain proving it, but I failed. :cry: Can anybody gives me a hint?
Thank you,
Any help will be appreciated,
Viet Dao,
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you try? If I remember, it's pretty easy.
 
[tex]2\sin\left(\frac{a}{2}\right)\cos(k a)=\sin\left(k a+\frac{a}{2}\right) \ - \ \sin\left(k a-\frac{a}{2}\right)[/tex]
so
[tex]\cos(k a)=\frac{\sin\left(k a+\frac{a}{2}\right) \ - \ \sin\left(k a-\frac{a}{2}\right)}{2\sin\left(\frac{a}{2}\right)}[/tex]
 
Thanks, After hours of struggling, I realized that it could be proved by induction. Not very hard, though. :smile:
And I also tried lurflurf's way. Thanks.
Thanks a lot,
But... I still don't know how to prove it using de Moivre's formula...
[tex](\cos x + i\sin x) ^ n = \cos (nx) + i \sin (nx)[/tex]
How can I do from there?
Viet Dao,
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Note that cos(nz) = Re[ cis(z)^n ]

( cis(z) := cos z + i sin z = exp(z) )