Does homogeneity infer isotropism?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homogeneity
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between homogeneity and isotropism in the context of the universe. It is argued that while homogeneity does not necessarily imply isotropy, there can be one local frame in which the universe appears isotropic. This is seen in the example of the CMB rest frame, which is considered the most likely candidate for our local comoving frame.
Loren Booda

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe homogeneity does imply isotropism. If the universe is the same everywhere than it should look the same in every direction. What am I missing?

Loren Booda said:

See here and here. Or, just consider an infinite universe with a uniform, non-zero vector field. Every point can have the same value of the field (implying homogeneity), but it will have a preferred direction (implying non-isotropy).

If enforced at all points, however, isotropy does imply homogeneity.

I don' think so,

you can have homog /inhomog conditions and isotropic and uniso... cdtns. They do not imply the other. Consider the metric:

[tex]ds^2=dt^2-dx^2-dy^2-dz^2[/tex]

This is homogeneous and isotropic.

Now consider

[tex]ds^2=dt^2-a_1(x)dx^2-a_2(y)dy^2-a_3(z)dz^2[/tex]

This is inhomogeneous but still isotropic,

lastly consider:

[tex]ds^2=dt^2-a_1(x,t)dx^2-a_2(y,t)dy^2-a_3(z,t)dz^2[/tex]

This is inhomog. and unisotropic.

I am just learning GR but I think this is right. The general gist is right - there might be a couple of hiccups in the equations.
Maybe someone with more experience can set me right if I am wrong.

Loren Booda said:
No. Homogeneity does not imply isotropy. The cylinder is clearly homogeneous but not isotropic.

How about for an infinite spacetime?

"Clearly, the universe cannot look isotropic to all obervers...Only an observer who is moving with the cosmological fluid can possibly see things as isotropic." --MTW, p. 714.

If the universe is homogeneous, then there can be one and only one local frame in which the universe looks isotropic. The CMB rest frame is fairly well defined to be approximately 368 km/sec (relative to the Sun) in the direction of the constellation Leo, and this is the local frame in which the cosmic microwave background radiation looks isotropic. Is there any other frame that is a more likely candidate to be our local comoving frame?

1. What is homogeneity and isotropism?

Homogeneity refers to the uniformity or sameness of a system or space. Isotropism, on the other hand, refers to the property of being directionally uniform, meaning that measurements in any direction are the same.

2. How are homogeneity and isotropism related?

Homogeneity implies isotropism, but the reverse is not always true. This means that if a system or space is homogeneous, it is also isotropic. However, a system or space can be isotropic without being homogeneous.

3. Can a system or space be isotropic but not homogeneous?

Yes, a system or space can be isotropic without being homogeneous. This occurs when the properties of the system or space are directionally uniform, but not necessarily uniform overall.

4. How are homogeneity and isotropism important in scientific research?

Homogeneity and isotropism are important concepts in many fields of science, particularly in physics and astronomy. They help us understand the uniformity and symmetry of the universe and are often used in mathematical models and simulations.

5. How can we determine if a system or space is homogeneous and isotropic?

To determine if a system or space is homogeneous, we can look for patterns or uniformity in its properties or measurements. Isotropism can be determined by measuring the properties of the system or space in different directions and comparing the results. If the measurements are the same in all directions, the system or space is isotropic.