Calculating Electron Motion in an AM Radio Broadcasting Circuit

• Thread starter WPCareyDevil
  • Start date
In summary, the broadcasting circuit for an AM radio station operates at a frequency of 550 kHz and the electrons in the circuit move back and forth in simple harmonic motion. The time for the free electrons to go back and forth once is the reciprocal of 550 kHz, and the range of motion for the electrons is determined by multiplying the average speed of 100 μm/s by 1/2 of the period, resulting in a range of 9.09x10^-11 nm.
WPCareyDevil

Homework Statement

Consider the broadcasting circuit for an AM radio station which broadcasts at a frequency of 550 kHz. The electrons in such a circuit are moving back and forth in simple harmonic motion.

(a) How long does it take for the free electrons in this circuit to go back and forth once? Give your answer in μs.

(b) Assuming the average speed of the electrons is 100 μm/s, what is the range of motion of the electrons as they go back and forth in the wires of the circuit. (HINT: As the electron goes back and forth, it travels its full range every half cycle.) Give your answer in nm.
nm

Homework Equations

T=s/cycles
d=vt?

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer to a was easy - just the reciprocal of 550khz.

b, seems a little more confusing. I know the speed (100x10^-6) of the electrons, and the time (answer a), but my confusion is in the "hint". Would I multiply the time by 2?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The hint is telling you that the electrons are traveling the full range of motion in 1/2 of a period.

Ok, so I multiplied v(100x10^-6) by (1/2)(1.818x10^-6) and got 9.09x10^-11. It asks for the answer in nm (^-9), so I entered 90.9, and it was incorrect. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? I only have 1 attempt left.

1. What is a (101) Broadcast circuit?

A (101) Broadcast circuit is a type of circuit used in telecommunication networks to transmit data, voice, and video signals to multiple destinations at the same time. It allows for the simultaneous broadcast of information to a large number of recipients.

2. How does a (101) Broadcast circuit work?

A (101) Broadcast circuit works by using a single transmission channel to send the same information to multiple recipients. This is achieved through the use of multiplexing techniques, where the data is divided into smaller streams and combined into one signal for transmission.

3. What are the advantages of using a (101) Broadcast circuit?

The main advantage of using a (101) Broadcast circuit is the ability to reach a large audience with a single transmission. This makes it a cost-effective option for broadcasting information to a large number of recipients. It also allows for real-time communication and faster delivery of information.

4. How is a (101) Broadcast circuit different from a point-to-point circuit?

A (101) Broadcast circuit differs from a point-to-point circuit in that it allows for the transmission of information to multiple destinations at the same time, while a point-to-point circuit only allows for communication between two specific points. Additionally, a (101) Broadcast circuit uses multiplexing techniques, while a point-to-point circuit uses dedicated channels for communication.

5. What are some common applications of (101) Broadcast circuits?

(101) Broadcast circuits are commonly used in television and radio broadcasting, as well as in satellite communication systems. They are also used in public address systems and in data networks to distribute information to multiple users simultaneously.