12v to power household appliances?

• Thread starter jagman454
  • Start date
  • Tags
    12v Power
In summary, an inverter is necessary to use a 12v battery to power household appliances. A converter is not necessary and may not work. The average computer or TV might run 30 minutes to an hour on a large deep cycle battery like they sell for boats in the auto supply store.
jagman454
12v to power household appliances??

How can I use a 12v battery to power household appliances such as computers/TV ect...
Do I need some type of converter? I was told that a 12v battery won't power household appliances because they are designed to run off of the 100v house circuit. Where should I start?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Jagman.
You need an inverter, not a converter. Most automotive supply places can set you up with one. They're a bit pricey, but not too bad if you really need one. Only problem is, the biggest one that Canadian Tire sells is 400 watts. It costs $60. I don't know about other suppliers. RV dealers might have something bigger.

In addition to what Danger said.
Most electronic equipment is not real happy with plain inverters.
You are going to want a Sine Wave or Modified Sine Wave inverter.
The average computer or TV might run 30 minutes to an hour on a large deep cycle battery like they sell for boats in the auto supply store.
The "Deep Cycle" part is important if you want the battery to last a while.
You can get inverters up to 2000 Watts, but to run one for any length of time is going to be a major investment in batteries.

jagman454 said:
How can I use a 12v battery to power household appliances such as computers/TV ect...
Do I need some type of converter? I was told that a 12v battery won't power household appliances because they are designed to run off of the 100v house circuit. Where should I start?

http://www.invertersrus.com/

Check these people out, i have bought 1- 5000Watt, and 2- 2500Watt, inverters from them and have been pleased with all units. At the time, they came with cables(4 on the 5K) and were, sales tax and freight free. (i have had no problems with any units)
Before finding this source, i bought a Vector 3000Watt, and a couple of smaller units, they required sales tax and cables

Last edited:

1. How does a 12v power supply work for household appliances?

A 12v power supply works by converting the AC power from your home's electrical outlet into DC power, which is then regulated and stepped down to a stable 12 volts. This allows it to power smaller electrical devices and household appliances that require a lower voltage to operate.

2. Can I use a 12v power supply to power all of my household appliances?

No, a 12v power supply is not suitable for powering all household appliances. It is only suitable for smaller devices and appliances that require a lower voltage, typically under 12 volts. Larger appliances, such as refrigerators, stoves, and air conditioners, require higher voltages and would not work with a 12v power supply.

3. How do I know if my household appliance requires 12v power?

Most household appliances will specify the required voltage on their label or in the user manual. If the appliance does not specify a voltage, you can determine the required voltage by looking at the power cord. If the plug has two prongs, it is likely a 12v appliance, while a three-prong plug indicates a higher voltage requirement.

4. Are there any safety concerns when using a 12v power supply for household appliances?

There are some safety concerns to consider when using a 12v power supply for household appliances. It is important to use a power supply that is properly rated for the appliance and to follow all instructions for use. Additionally, it is important to use caution when working with electricity and to keep the power supply away from water and other potential hazards.

5. Can I convert a 12v power supply to power higher voltage appliances?

No, it is not safe or advisable to convert a 12v power supply to power higher voltage appliances. The power supply is designed to regulate and provide a stable 12 volts, and attempting to convert it to a higher voltage could cause damage to the appliance and potentially pose a safety hazard.