1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1D Kinematics Easy

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rubber ball is shot straight up from the ground with speed vo. Simultaneously, a second rubber ball at height h directly above the first ball is dropped from rest.

At what height above the ground do the balls collide? Your answer will be a symbolic expressions in terms of vo and g.

2. Relevant equations
    v=v0+at
    x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at2
    v2=v20+2aΔx

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first ball, I have [tex]v_f = \sqrt{v^2_o+2g}[/tex]
    For the second ball (which I think I have wrong), I have [tex]v_f = \sqrt{2(g)(-h)}[/tex]

Unfortunately I'm not really sure where to go from here, or if I'm even headed in the right direction in the first place. Can someone please help?

Thanks.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For both balls, write up the time-dependence of height in terms of the initial position and velocity (your second equation) . When they meet, their heights are equal: that means an equation for the time. Solve, and determine the height with the result.

ehild

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    First ball y=vot + .5(g)(t^2) second ball y=h+.5(g)(t^2). Am I solving for the wrong variable (you mentioned time)? Also does the derivative come into play? Sorry for all the questions, I've been up for a long time o_O.

EDIT: Do you set them equal to each other?
    h+.5gt^2 = vot + .5gt^2
    h = vot
    t = h/vo

??

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure that the sign of g is correct? If it is taken positive, will the balls fall to the ground at all?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook