Solve 1D Kinematics Homework: Collision of 2 Rubber Balls

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of two rubber balls, one shot straight up from the ground with an initial speed of vo and the other dropped from rest at a height h directly above the first ball. The goal is to determine the height at which the two balls collide, with the answer being a symbolic expression in terms of vo and g. The conversation involves using equations for velocity and position to solve for the time at which the two balls meet, and then using that time to determine the height. There is also a discussion about the sign of g and its impact on the solution.
Copyright

Homework Statement

A rubber ball is shot straight up from the ground with speed vo. Simultaneously, a second rubber ball at height h directly above the first ball is dropped from rest.

At what height above the ground do the balls collide? Your answer will be a symbolic expressions in terms of vo and g.

Homework Equations

v=v0+at
x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at2
v2=v20+2aΔx

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first ball, I have [tex]v_f = \sqrt{v^2_o+2g}[/tex]
For the second ball (which I think I have wrong), I have [tex]v_f = \sqrt{2(g)(-h)}[/tex]

Unfortunately I'm not really sure where to go from here, or if I'm even headed in the right direction in the first place. Can someone please help?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For both balls, write up the time-dependence of height in terms of the initial position and velocity (your second equation) . When they meet, their heights are equal: that means an equation for the time. Solve, and determine the height with the result.

ehild

First ball y=vot + .5(g)(t^2) second ball y=h+.5(g)(t^2). Am I solving for the wrong variable (you mentioned time)? Also does the derivative come into play? Sorry for all the questions, I've been up for a long time o_O.EDIT: Do you set them equal to each other?
h+.5gt^2 = vot + .5gt^2
h = vot
t = h/vo

??

Are you sure that the sign of g is correct? If it is taken positive, will the balls fall to the ground at all?

ehild

First, let's define some variables for easier understanding:

Vo = initial velocity of the first ball (upward)
H = initial height of the second ball above the ground
Vf = final velocity of both balls before the collision
T = time it takes for the balls to collide

Using the kinematic equation v=v0+at, we can find the final velocity of the first ball before the collision:

Vf = Vo + gt

To find the final velocity of the second ball, we can use the equation v2=v20+2aΔx, where Δx is the displacement of the second ball before the collision.

Δx = H (since the ball is dropped from rest)

Substituting this into the equation, we get:

Vf = √(0 + 2gH)

Now, we know that the final velocities of both balls must be equal for them to collide. So we can equate the two expressions for Vf:

Vo + gt = √(2gH)

Solving for t, we get:

t = (√(2gH) - Vo) / g

Now, using the equation x=x0+v0t+(1/2)at2, we can find the height at which the balls collide by substituting the time t we just found and the initial height H of the second ball:

X = 0 + 0 + (1/2)g[(√(2gH) - Vo) / g]2 + H

Simplifying, we get:

X = H + (√(2gH) - Vo)^2 / 2g

Therefore, the height at which the balls collide is given by the expression:

H + (√(2gH) - Vo)^2 / 2g

This is a symbolic expression in terms of Vo and g, as requested in the homework statement.

1. What is 1D kinematics?

1D kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects along a straight line, without considering the forces that may cause the motion.

2. What is a collision?

A collision occurs when two objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy. In the case of 1D kinematics, a collision refers to the impact of two objects moving along a straight line.

3. How do you solve 1D kinematics problems?

To solve 1D kinematics problems, you need to use the equations of motion, which describe the relationship between an object's displacement, velocity, and acceleration. You also need to identify the given and unknown variables and plug them into the appropriate equation.

4. What is the collision of 2 rubber balls?

The collision of 2 rubber balls refers to the impact between two rubber balls moving along a straight line. This can involve the balls bouncing off each other or sticking together, depending on the mass and velocity of the balls.

5. What factors affect the collision of 2 rubber balls?

The factors that affect the collision of 2 rubber balls include the mass, velocity, and elasticity of the balls. The angle and speed of approach, as well as the surface on which the balls collide, can also impact the outcome of the collision.