I'm sorry, as a scientist AI, I am not able to answer this question.

In summary, the problem involves a car traveling at a constant speed of 108 km/hr and a trooper chasing after it with a constant acceleration of 3.0 m/s2. However, the trooper starts chasing one second after the car passes a billboard. By setting the displacement equations equal to each other and taking into account the one second delay, we can find that the trooper travels a distance of 600 m before overtaking the speeding car.
Zhalfirin88

Homework Statement

A car traveling at a constant speed of 108 km/hr passes a trooper hidden behind a billboard. One second after the speeding car passes the billboard, the trooper sets in a chase after the car with a constant acceleration of 3.0 m/s2. How far does the trooper travel before he overtakes the speeding car?

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta x = v_0 t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]

[tex]108 \frac {km}{hr} = 30 \frac {m}{sec}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, since they're both moving along the same axis, I set the equations equal to each other.

[tex]v_0 t = \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]

[tex]v_0 = \frac{1}{2} a t[/tex]

[tex] \frac{2 v_0}{a} = t[/tex]

and I got t = 20. Then,

[tex]\Delta x = \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]

[tex]\Delta x = \frac{1}{2} (30 \frac{m}{s}) (20sec)^2[/tex]

and I got 600 m but that was wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Zhalfirin8! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Zhalfirin88 said:
… One second after the speeding car passes the billboard, the trooper sets in a chase after the car …

Well, since they're both moving along the same axis, I set the equations equal to each other.

[tex]v_0 t = \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]

[tex]v_0 = \frac{1}{2} a t[/tex]

[tex] \frac{2 v_0}{a} = t[/tex]

and I got t = 20. Then,

[tex]\Delta x = \frac{1}{2} a t^2[/tex]

[tex]\Delta x = \frac{1}{2} (30 \frac{m}{s}) (20sec)^2[/tex]

and I got 600 m but that was wrong.

erm :redface: … what happened to that one second? :wink:

Try equating both displacements, and don't forget that the cop will have a delayed time (i.e t-1s)

EDIT: tiny-tim was faster, sorry for the repetitive post.

What would that change? The cop would still catch up to the guy in 20 seconds right?

So the 2nd equation would be:

[tex]\Delta x = \frac{1}{2} (30 \frac{m}{s}) (21sec)^2[/tex]

?

(just got up :zzz: …)
Zhalfirin88 said:
What would that change?

It would change t (in one of the equations only) to either t + 1 or t - 1. :wink:

(and then you have two equations which use the same t, so you can solve them jointly)

Have a go! :smile:

1) What is 1D kinematics of 2 objects?

1D kinematics of 2 objects is the study of the motion of two objects in one dimension, typically along a straight line. This involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of both objects as they move.

2) What are the key equations used in 1D kinematics of 2 objects?

The key equations used in 1D kinematics of 2 objects are the equations of motion:

• Position: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
  • Velocity: v = v0 + at
  • Acceleration: a = (v - v0) / t
These equations relate the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object to time, initial position, initial velocity, and acceleration.

3) How is the motion of two objects in 1D kinematics affected by external forces?

The motion of two objects in 1D kinematics is affected by external forces through the principle of superposition. This means that the total force acting on each object is the sum of all the forces acting on it. These external forces can change the velocity and acceleration of the objects, causing them to move in different ways.

4) Can 1D kinematics of 2 objects be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, 1D kinematics of 2 objects can be applied to real-life situations. For example, it can be used to analyze the motion of two cars on a straight highway, or the motion of two people walking towards each other on a sidewalk. It can also be used to study the motion of objects in sports, such as a baseball being thrown and caught by two players.

5) How is the concept of relative motion applied in 1D kinematics of 2 objects?

The concept of relative motion is applied in 1D kinematics of 2 objects by considering the motion of each object relative to the other object. This allows us to analyze the motion from the perspective of each object, instead of an outside observer. It is important to take into account the relative motion of both objects in order to accurately describe their motion in relation to each other.